Repairing a fiberglass Osprey 13' Drift Boat (pictures)

Scottiedude

Recruit
Hello,
I am very new here and just posting my first post. I bought an older drift boat 6 months ago and am now starting repairs on it. I am starting by taking the gunwales off and will replace with ash wood. Doing the same for the seats as well.

I do have a few fiberglassing questions: The bow is damaged and needs patching, I am pretty confident that I can get that taken care of easily enough. You can see damage in the attached pictures. The floor/deck however is very weak, I have floated a mellow part of the Clark Fork River in this boat and noticed the deck seemed "floppy" and when I would pull the anchor up it would move the deck, just seemed very weak.
How could I go about reinforcing/redoing that?
Also I just want to build up/bulk up the front hip holders, that whole section is weak and cracking in certain spots as well.

Any tips/steps for painting this boat as well, inside and out?!?
gunwale1off.jpggunwale2.jpgbowdamage2.jpgbowdamage.jpgwholeboat.jpg
Thanks for viewing and I look forward to replies.
-Scott

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Re: Repairing a fiberglass Osprey 13' Drift Boat (pictures)

The bottoms on drift boats are frquently designed to flex, it allows them to slide over rocks easier and possibly do less damage. Some people like this and others don't, if you don't like it can be stiffened to whatever you prefer. Lots of options on paint, it kind of depends on how much time and money you want to put into it.

Scottiedude

Recruit

I do know that, I've been on many newer Clackas that don't flex as much though. I mean I know and am sure the age of my boat has everything to do with it, but what is the best way to reinforce it? Marine plywood and just build a newer floor over top or pack on more fiberglass?
I am on a budget, but not exactly cheap. Any recommendations?

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Part of the reason newer Clacks have stiffer bottoms is because of the dimples, same layup only with curves makes it stiffer.

Drift Boats became heavier and stiffer over the years more for advertising purposes than out of necessity, most are over built for how they get used. The older designs like yours held up fine unless they were used in class III+ rapids with big rocks. The newer boats being much heavier make them harder to row and handle.

Some DBs have cored hulls, this isn't always the best way to go, it makes for a lighter boat, but there are also possible issues down the road. You can add a couple layers of glass, which will help, but won't make it super stiff, it will still flex.

Scottiedude

Recruit

I had to put the project off last Spring, as I became very busy with other things. I am going to give it another go this spring though!
Any last minute advice or links to fiberglass patching for that bow damage I have?
What about any painting tips to make it last?
What should I coat the wood in to make it look nice, but be weather and water proof?
Thanks,
Scott