545 awlgrip

k_page

Cadet
This is my first time using Awlgrip. I am using 545, roll and tip method. Using the proper mix of 1:1 by volume with less than 20% reducer, the <br />primer would dry to quickly to tip it off, adding more reducer thin it so much that it would not cover. Has anyone else had this problem? The weather here is 75 degrees 50% humd. I have seem boats on this site were the same method was used and they looked to be sprayed. I'm not having the same results. Does the topcoat flow better than the primer.

Capt. Stabbin

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 545 awlgrip

Are you painting by yourself? I know Interlux suggests that 2 people paint, so the paint gets tipped immediatly after it is rolled on. I'm painting my 17 Mako right now, so I certainly know the joy that you are experiencing!

Hooty

Rear Admiral

Is there a different reducer available for use at higher temps?<br /><br />c/6<br />Hooty

k_page

Cadet

The reducer I am using has A recomended temp range of 65 - 80 degrees, I did have two people, but it seemed to get tackey while I was rolling. When It first happened I figured I had mixed wrong , tried again with same results. Does this stuff have a shelf life? <br />80 hrs. invested in prep sanding-<br />80 hrs. in primer - this stuff is hard to sand :eek:

Ryoken

Petty Officer 2nd Class

awlgrip paint and primer has an excellent shelflife. reducers will last indefinitely. just watch to clean the cap thoroughly on awlcat 2 when closing.<br /><br />you want the slowest reducer you can get. for topcoat its "slow drying reducer for brush apllied topcoat, blah, blah... its T000 something.<br /><br />i personally hate 545. all i ever use it for is a quick spray sealer coat over highbuild. it has very poor filling and coverage qualities, can't imagine rolling/tipping it.. i pretty much use highbuild for everything..

k_page

Cadet

Ryoken<br />This will be my last time with awlgrip 545.<br />But I have to use what have as far as the primer goes. <br />Is the topcoat this unforgiving, would I be better off spraying, over roll and tipping, have experence with painting cars, not boats .<br />Getting very discouraged :( :eek:

Ryoken

Petty Officer 2nd Class

spraying is always preferred when feasable. that doesn't mean you can't get good results rolling/tipping... i roll/tip Awlgrip fairly often. out on the water and such, when masking, overspray, cost, etc is a prob...<br /><br />i've never tried to roll/tip 545, only spray. i'll brush high build over bodywork to fill sandscratchs and spray after sanding..<br /><br />the paint is pretty forgiving timewise. just use a slow brushing reducer (about 10%) and go 2 to 1, paint to awlcat 2. not sure why your primer is flashing off so quick but the paint shouldn't do that...

k_page

Cadet

problem solved and created new one.<br />When I recieved my order I checked one of the roller covers to make sure it was what I needed I should have checked all of them. The primer was not flashing that quick the rolloer cover was dissolving.I am in the process of sanding it off. What sould I do to make sure the roller residue is off. <br />Ryoken thanks for your advice, talked to the company that I purchased the paint from and they said they would exchange brush - spray. have any good tips on spraying.