!976 22' Fiberform

Rranger

Chief Petty Officer
I bought this beauty for $850 last summer. Hauled it home and proceeded to overhaul the trailer last winter. New framing, tires, hubs, brakes, paint and lights. Recently pulled the motor and started in on ripping out the the rotten transom, stringers and motor mounts. . Not sure how far the stringer rot goes forward, hoping not under the cabin. Anybody out thre had any experience dealing with rotten stringers under a cabin? Suggestions? Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG-20130214-00114.jpg
    IMG-20130214-00114.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 1
  • Grand Forks-20120915-00047.jpg
    Grand Forks-20120915-00047.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 1
  • Grand Forks-20121214-00065.jpg
    Grand Forks-20121214-00065.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 1
  • HPIM1416.jpg
    HPIM1416.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 1

GT1000000

Rear Admiral
Re: !976 22' Fiberform

Hi and welcome...
Nice boat, lots of work...
Trailer is looking good...
You can sister or scab the new stringers to the original ones, if there is anything left salvageable of them...
If not, you will just have to tear up whatever is in the way to replace them...
Unfortunately no easy solution if that's the case...just roll up your sleeves and go to town...
Best of luck
GT1M

Rranger

Chief Petty Officer

Tomorrow will tell the tale. Hopefully I can scab to the old stringer.

zool

Captain

Do you have any access hatches in the cabin?..I was able to get a visual on mine most of the way forward. For repair, the cabin floor has to come out...You may have a water barrier at the cabin entry bulkhead below deck. My boat has a removable bung at the bottom of that bulkhead, and pumps forward. It looks like it saved the forward wood. From that bulkhead back,, its all gotta come out.

Rranger

Chief Petty Officer

Haven't noticed any hatches, floor is carpeted, and no openings in it. I'm getting in there today and should know by tonight exactly what I'm up against with the stringers. All transom, stringer, fuel tank base wood should be removed to the back of the cabin.

Last edited:

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Unfortunately sometimes you will have to do some demolition to find out what is going on...something like exploratory surgery, if you will...
After all, if you are going to go all in on this boat, you might as well take care of any issues now...

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014

You got a great deal on a nice boat. Too bad about the motor, by the looks of it the PO's neglect has made a basket case of it.

Rranger

Chief Petty Officer

You got a great deal on a nice boat. Too bad about the motor, by the looks of it the PO's neglect has made a basket case of it.

Ya it definitely was neglected. I'm happy with this boat its 22' which is great for the big interior BC lakes I frequent, and no more worrying about campsites and docking boats for the night.
I have some options for motors. I bought a complete 350 chev including a 888 outdrive. Complete ready to pop in. Motor was supposedly rebuilt and then never used. Unfortunately the fellow who had it rebuilt died so know way of knowing the real story. Motor has excellent compression.
I have a 351 Ford Windsor, rebuilt heads, top and bottom end. I'm just finishing putting it together. It was for a OMC project which I scrapped. Maybe someone out there knows if it will bolt up to the 888 assembly. Would be great if it did and I'd have a backup then.
And my wives stepfather has a DA 220 Izuzu diesel c/w with a real rough volvo 280 outdrive. I haven't checked into its weight yet but I'm thinking its to heavy for this boat.
Right now I'm more concerned with the restoration. All three motors are in my garage, so I have time to decide what I'm doing.

Last edited:

Rranger

Chief Petty Officer

Off to the fiberglass dealer(IPP) in Kelowna BC on monday to load up.

Last edited:

Rranger

Chief Petty Officer

Been ripping and tearing and now sanding, and I'm down to the fiberglass, on approximately 1/3 of the transom. Now that I'm finally sanding its looking like there might be a end in sight.:)
I bought enough epoxy to laminate my transom together and peanut butter my stringers and engine mounts. Can someone out there tell me what to use to thicken the "peanut butter" to round the transom corners? Thank you.
Will try again to load photos they are to large so will try resending them from my phone.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Cabosil is most commonly used. But lots of other additives can be used as well. Wood Flour is one.

Rranger

Chief Petty Officer

Cabosil is most commonly used. But lots of other additives can be used as well. Wood Flour is one.

From what I've read you mix it with the resin first, till you get the consistency wanted and then add the hardener?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

That's been debated here on the forum many times. When using epoxy I mix the epoxy and hardener first to ensure a good mix and then add the thickening agent. With Poly I do the opposite.

zool

Captain

It would be tough to get a thorough mix with a pb consistancy, imo...I would activate it 1st, but thats just me...

zool

Captain

hes using epoxy it appears....expensive PB ;)

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Yep, thats why I said to mix the hardener first and then add the cabosil. I've done the same with Poly but I've had it kick on me to quick too. If i'm making Glue I always add the MEKP first then the cabosil but for Filleting material I add the MEKP last.

zool

Captain

That makes sense. I like epoxy, but for mine, i just couldn't justify the expense of using epoxy on a polyester boat, except for my pulpit repair. And on a big batch job, the extra time is appreciated.

Rranger

Chief Petty Officer

The epoxy is expensive compared to the poly no doubt. But I'm only using it to "glue" in the stringers and motor mounts in place and to laminate the transom. I've read on here in numerous posts epoxy was the one to use for stringer and motor mount glueing. It was also a choice of not wanting to mess with matting when laminating the transom together.
Once they are all in place I will be using poly and matting on the exteriors of the stringers, motor mounts, transom and new decking.
Thanks for the heads up on mixing poly and epoxy peanut butter.