Errrh! Bottom paint

Gradywhite3535

Chief Petty Officer
So Im basically almost ready to launch my boat that I just got, I just went to my boat with a power washer and a orbit sander. I tried using the power washer to remove the bottom paint and it didnt do anything. So I started to sand it with 80 grit and all it did was smooth it out. It seems to be on there very well. As you can see in the pics that there are a few spots that are missing paint. Are these considered blisters? Would I be able to sand all the white spots and just touch up wherever it's missing paint? If I choose to just do a touch up what will happen to the hull? I'm getting so frustrated because I don't know what I'm doing and I was afraid to sand it down passed the black paint. What are my options to remove the paint? If I do sand it ,do I sand off all black paint down to white or sand it down to make it smooth so the new paint will adhere to the boat? Please help me before I loose my mind( I think I already have) lol

zool

Captain
Re: Errrh! Bottom paint

You dont need to remove it all if its on there good....but if your gonna dock it in salt, I would scuff it up a bit, and put a new coat of antifoul.

I hope you wore a respirator...bad stuff

tpenfield

Staff member

So Im basically almost ready to launch my boat that I just got, I just went to my boat with a power washer and a orbit sander. I tried using the power washer to remove the bottom paint and it didnt do anything. So I started to sand it with 80 grit and all it did was smooth it out. It seems to be on there very well. As you can see in the pics that there are a few spots that are missing paint. Are these considered blisters? Would I be able to sand all the white spots and just touch up wherever it's missing paint? If I choose to just do a touch up what will happen to the hull? I'm getting so frustrated because I don't know what I'm doing and I was afraid to sand it down passed the black paint. What are my options to remove the paint? If I do sand it ,do I sand off all black paint down to white or sand it down to make it smooth so the new paint will adhere to the boat? Please help me before I loose my mind( I think I already have) lol

I don't see any pictures . . .

It sounds like you have a fairly thick multi-layer coating of paint on the hull. Sanding is a pain in the ____ and can result in damage to the hull and brain damage (or some sort of medical issue) if you inhale too much dust, etc.

"Peel Away" paint remover would be the way to soften the paint so you can easily scrape it off without damaging the hull and yourself. The only thing about removing paint from the hull is that it is a huge (huge) job and takes quite quite a while (days/weeks).

Also, are you going to day launch or keep the boat in the water?

zool

Captain

that was a sloppy job someone did, and its in pretty bad shape....I would consider removing it all and get a fresh EVEN cut line....

A soda blasting service would be the quickest and easiest, then you can put a fresh coat of ablative paint. Will improve performance too.

tpenfield

Staff member

Salt water . . .? I'd just give it a fresh coat of anti-fouling . . .Maybe plan paint removal for next year, and then re-paint as desired/needed.

coolbri70

Lieutenant Commander

i was trying to sand mine off, just dont like the looks, sanded for a few days, and just too much of a pita, i will be painting over it white, it will probably flake off and i will touch it up, this will be easier than removing

Gradywhite3535

Chief Petty Officer

Ok so this is what I would like to do for now. I want it in the water, I don't care about appearance.can I just sand it a little bit to make it smooth and paint over the old paint? And then next year i will take care of it! What could happen if the paint doesn't stay on the entire season? And do you think the paint will stay on for 3 months in salt water?

zool

Captain

It should be fine for a season, I would use ablative, which wears off while you use it, releasing the active ingredients as it wears...will be easier to remove when u choose.

Gradywhite3535

Chief Petty Officer

Should I use the same color or a different? Besides protect from algae,barnicales and slime what does bottom paint do?

zool

Captain

You can change colors, but covering black may take an additional coat.The thing I would do is sand down the brush overstrokes where the bottom paint meets the hull side, then set your tape line just above the common line...it will look good to go.

Thats about all it does, excpet premature corrosion on transom shields, if painted too close...1 inch clearance is recomended.....but i dont know if your i/o or OB...

tpenfield

Staff member

Should I use the same color or a different? Besides protect from algae, barnacles and slime what does bottom paint do?

What more would you like it to do? If it can keep stuff from growing on the bottom of your boat, then I think it has done its fair share.

Since you have put quite a bit of work into your boat already, you might just want to go with your basic black ablative anti-fouling paint so you can be on the water. Then, plan some time over next winter to do paint removal and start with a clean hull, go with new paint, etc.

kjones744

Recruit

It looks like a lot of gelcoat spots exposed as well below the waterline; it's not too much to put on a quick coat of barrier coat primer (like Seahawk 1277) then coat with the ablative. This would help buy you more time to decide your next step with a better paint bond (and since we really have no idea what they've put on their prior).

Gradywhite3535

Chief Petty Officer

Ok so tomorrow I will hit it with 80 grit sand paper using a sander and put on some ablative paint. I'm hoping it comes out ok. Any last opinions lol? After the 80 grit should I use a quick 150 or 80 would be fine. And also with the spots I can see the gelo coat should I sand or just go over the existing paint? Thanks everyone for the help as always!

tpenfield

Staff member

Don't kill yourself with the sand paper , a quick hit should be just fine