McCulloch 15' fiberglass boat.

kazek

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi all.i recently acquired McCulloch royal 15 feet fiberglass boat.it needs new paint job,as old one is flaking off.what is good way to prepare hull for painting and what kind of paint i should use.easypoxy???

zool

Captain
Re: McCulloch 15' fiberglass boat.

If its flaking badly, I would take it back to gel...You can then paint over the gel if it doesnt need any fairing, if it does, then prime 1st. If you prime and block it either way, you get a nice even coat.

Got a pic?

kazek

Petty Officer 2nd Class

boat 058.jpgboat 059.jpgboat 057.jpgboat 054.jpgboat 055.jpg.
any work on the boat will be preforme in the driveway.i have few basic tools(grinder,drill).what would be fairly inexpensive way to bring her back to glory?

zool

Captain

The easiest way would be to sand it as smoth as you can, if you end up with some scrapes or gouges, use a ready mixed fairing compund and skim coat the imperfections (like spacking wallboard), sand..spot prime the repaired areas, then paint.

Pettit ezpoxy will work fine to roll and brush (roll and tip), or interlux brightside....whatever paint you choose, follow the tech sheet.

http://www.pettitpaint.com/fileshare/product_pds/EZPoxy2.pdf

kazek

Petty Officer 2nd Class

002.jpg003.jpg004.jpg007.jpg005.jpgwell....i started sanding job ,where prevous owner made a patch up job.got to loose one layer of fiberglass.after sanding down to investigate i fuond wet center stabilizer about 1 ft long with the hole.i guess someone had a hard beaching.went further and opened inside of the "cabin"there she was..water.got rid of it and checked wet compartment divider.behind it was pretty solid barrier of fiber glass.i have a heater going inside the boat to dry her up.how do i fix it.just thickened epoxy?