rebuild 18' 1963 Starcraft Starchief cuddy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parley1a

Cadet
100_0592.jpg100_0592.jpg100_0598.jpg100_0595.jpg100_0601.jpgStarting a rebuild on a 1963 Starcraft Starchief 18' cuddy. Came with a '69 Merc with a recent rebuild top & bottom. Lots of work to do on this 'ol beer can. I wasn't too sure I had made a good buy or choice at first, seeing as how this is my first boat rebuild. After taking a look at some of your rebuild threads I feel a lot better. Looks like I am in good company when it comes to Starcraft enthusiasts and you guys have already provided tons of pics and advise. Will post pictures and progess on "TillBob's" restoration. I bought the boat from the original owner, a gentlemen by the name of Zane Gray and that's the moniker he gave the boat. Might change it but might not. We'll see. My name is Bob after all and I might get it finished and want to stay fishing and boating "till-Bob wants to come home!!!!"

Last edited:

Parley1a

Cadet
rebuild 18' 1963 Starcraft Starchief cuddy

Starting a rebuild on a 1963 Starcraft Starchief 18' cuddy. Came with a '69 Merc with a recent rebuild top & bottom. Lots of work to do on this 'ol beer can. I wasn't too sure I had made a good buy or choice at first, seeing as how this is my first boat rebuild. After taking a look at some of your rebuild threads I feel a lot better. Looks like I am in good company when it comes to Starcraft enthusiasts and you guys have already provided tons of pics and advise. Will post pictures and progess on "TillBob's" restoration. I bought the boat from the original owner, a gentlemen by the name of Zane Gray and that's the moniker he gave the boat. Might change it but might not. We'll see. My name is Bob after all and I might get it finished and want to stay fishing and boating "till-Bob wants to come home!!!!"

Attachments

• 100_0592.jpg
    100_0592.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 2
  • 100_0594.jpg
    100_0594.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 2
  • 100_0598.jpg
    100_0598.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 2
  • 100_0599.jpg
    100_0599.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 2
  • 100_0601.jpg
    100_0601.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 2

redneckpunk

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: rebuild 18' 1963 Starcraft Starchief cuddy

Great looking boat! Have no fear about your rebuild as the best of the best Starcraft and "tinny" guys are here to help out wherever and whenever you may need it. Just be sure to include lots of pics because these guys feed off them. LOL!! It's starts as an intimidating adventure but the more you get into it the stronger the addiction grows. I'll be tagging along to see this resto progress

~RNP

Parley1a

Cadet

Thanks for the link and I am pulling the fuel tanks out today to check out their condition. From the smell.... I'd say I have some serious cleaning to do. I read Gibb's post and will follow his lead on using carb cleaner to scour the insides.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

She's showing her age but heck, I don't know if looked as good when I was 50. ;) It looks like you have all the important, hard to find parts. Yeah, old gas smells like dino poop. Sometimes fresh gas, a couple of gallons worth, soaking and swished around can help loosen/soften the old crud. Might be the first step before using Gibble's cleaner. Just an idea.

Parley1a

Cadet

She's showing her age but heck, I don't know if looked as good when I was 50. ;) It looks like you have all the important, hard to find parts. Yeah, old gas smells like dino poop. Sometimes fresh gas, a couple of gallons worth, soaking and swished around can help loosen/soften the old crud. Might be the first step before using Gibble's cleaner. Just an idea.

Thanks!!! I took your advise on using couple gallons of fresh gas first. I had about a dozen 1/2" ball bearings laying around the shop so... I put them in the tanks with the gas along with a dose of Marvel Mystery Oil. I'm giving them the rattle can shake every few minutes and it seems to be doing the trick. The ball bearings agitate the goop accumulated on the bottom and Cooter, (my chocolate lab) thinks it's a new game. So far, no pin-holes so life is good!

GA_Boater

The ball bearings are a good added agitator. If you haven't found any holes by now, you probably have it knocked. Tie Cooter's tail to the tank - A "free" shaker. LOL

Parley1a

Cadet

Pulled the cap off of the Transom today and the old boards still look pretty sound! Amazing but no rot. Just a little drying and flaking on the exposed section above the splash well. (to be expected) A kicker motor mount was added later and all of the thru bolts are stainless. I still think I'll pull out all bolts and coat them with 5200 and sand down the exposed wood and seal it with Valspar. Better safe than sorry. Not bad for a 1/2 century old boat!!!

GA_Boater

That's a good idea to pull the bolts and re-seal. After a few decades things tend to loosen. I had to re-seal my transom bolts too. Actually, I had to seal them. One of the POs over the years replaced the transom wood and used NO sealant. :eek: 3M 5200 is your friend. :)

While the bolts are out you can use a small tool like an awl or screwdriver and check through the holes for signs of the wood going bad where you can't see easily with the hardware in place.

In your pic of the kicker bracket, it looks like the mounting bolts are rusty. You might want to re-check cuz stainless shouldn't rust. And rust draws water in to start the dreaded rot. Better safe than sorry, ya know.

Parley1a

Cadet

That's a good idea to pull the bolts and re-seal. After a few decades things tend to loosen. I had to re-seal my transom bolts too. Actually, I had to seal them. One of the POs over the years replaced the transom wood and used NO sealant. :eek: 3M 5200 is your friend. :)

While the bolts are out you can use a small tool like an awl or screwdriver and check through the holes for signs of the wood going bad where you can't see easily with the hardware in place.

In your pic of the kicker bracket, it looks like the mounting bolts are rusty. You might want to re-check cuz stainless shouldn't rust. And rust draws water in to start the dreaded rot. Better safe than sorry, ya know.

Good eye on the kicker bolts! looks like he used some grade 5 carbon bolts and peened the heads to keep them in place. Those will need to be cut out and replaced with stainless/nylock or drilled and cottered. I plan on replacing the wood on the kicker pad too and will probably add an outer ply of 1/4" sheet nylon. I might do the same thing on the transom pad. The deck wood is sound but really weather checked and has ugly green outdoor carpet stuck down. I don't know what's under there for floatation so it's getting pulled up / replaced.

cadmaster02

Seaman Apprentice
Coming into this 10 years after you started this thread. I am in the midst of a rebuild of the Montgomery ward variation of this boat. If you are still active on this site...do you have updated photos of your finished project?

jbcurt00

Staff member
Coming into this 10 years after you started this thread. I am in the midst of a rebuild of the Montgomery ward variation of this boat. If you are still active on this site...do you have updated photos of your finished project?
It's been nearly 6trs since @Parley1a has been on.

Unlikely to get or reply to your message, hence the 90day rule.

Closed

Status
Not open for further replies.