1987 Bluefin Sportsman 1900 - The Fun Begins

lokonn

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1987 Bluefin Sportsman 1900 - The Fun Begins

Yeah, quite a pain. Ended up trying to finesse them off with a Roloc biscuit on end of small air grinder. Worst was any around rivets, ended up with some heavier scratches than I wanted. Also used 220grit sand paper once majority was gone with biscuit. Can tell you that I thought I had it done until I sprayed primer on and a couple of areas jumped out. I block sanded those areas with 180 and re-primed them and it minimized it enough to pass. My boat has some dents and dings that I didn't bother working out, so I wasn't looking for ''showroom'' finish. I wanted something nice but wasn't gonna freak out about if a bumper wasn't placed right or a lure came flying back after a missed strike. Hope that helps

lokonn

Chief Petty Officer

Got to meet the man, the myth and the legend from ''okieland'' tonite and can say that if you get the opportunity you should do the same. Woodonglass was in town and we were able to spend some time together. It was the fastest hour and a half that I have spent in a long time. Would have liked to have had more time but my schedule didn't allow. Great guy, great stories and great information. Way better looking in person.:eek: Thanks for taking time to get together Woody!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Got to meet the man, the myth and the legend from ''okieland'' tonite and can say that if you get the opportunity you should do the same. Woodonglass was in town and we were able to spend some time together. It was the fastest hour and a half that I have spent in a long time. Would have liked to have had more time but my schedule didn't allow. Great guy, great stories and great information. Way better looking in person.:eek: Thanks for taking time to get together Woody!

The Man, "Old Man", The Myth, Yeah, it's a Myth that I KNOW anything!!!, The Legend, Yep I'm a Legend In my own Mind!!!! Here's a Pic to Prove I had the Supreme Pleasure of spending time with Brian and talking Life and Boats!!!! It's been a while since I've had time FLY that quickly and enjoyable. Thanks Brian for taking the time away from your family to come spend it with an Old Dumb Okie. I really had a GREAT TIME!!!!

LokonandWoody.jpg

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

Great to see a couple fellow iboaters be able to kick back and chew the fat for a bit ! Looks like a fun time !
Now that was just iced tea right ? :D

jbcurt00

Staff member

Check your PM"s

Thanks
John
:watermelon:

lokonn

Chief Petty Officer

Happy(?) re-birthday to our boat. Today is 1 year since start of resto. Sure thought I would be further along by now! Things happen, both with the boat and life. Every ''thing'' seems to get you down a road you han't planned on. Some good, some frustrating, and some you can't tell whether they were good or bad until you get thru them. Can say that it has been great having you all along thru successes and set-backs. Heres hoping we are all in the water shortly!

joe423

Seaman Apprentice
Anyone still subscribed and looking for an update??? I'm lokonn's son and can give some updates if anyone is interested...

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Yes joe I have been wondering what's been happening .. Hoping everything is ok with your dad ..

joe423

Seaman Apprentice
Holy cow we have done a lot since this thread left off! :eek: You haven't even seen the painted consoles or carpeting.....or the motor ;)

I'll be working over the next week or so to try and get pictures and an update of what has been done!

Stayed tuned folks.

joe423

Seaman Apprentice
Alright guys here's the deal. I have some pictures to post but there was a lot that was not documented along the way. We were finishing the boat for with a deadline in mind so taking pictures of progress wasn't exactly on our minds. I'm sure you guys know how it is, you get in the groove!

Splash well is painted and installed. Carpeting on the sides is starting to be installed.
Blue fin 111.jpg

For those of your wondering what the PAINTED consoles look like....here it is! Also you can see we have the trolling motor mounted. We go a used 55lb thrust Minn Kota for a really great deal. You'd be surprised how well it whips this boat around! It's plenty of power.
Blue Fin 222.jpg

Attachments

• Blue fin 111.jpg
    Blue fin 111.jpg
    266.4 KB · Views: 5
  • Blue fin 111.jpg
    Blue fin 111.jpg
    266.4 KB · Views: 3
  • Blue fin 111.jpg
    Blue fin 111.jpg
    266.4 KB · Views: 3

joe423

Seaman Apprentice
Rod lockers came next. I want to say we used 3" PVC but I cannot remember for certain. All I know is that the PVC we used ended up being too narrow for the eyelets on some of our spinning rods. So make sure you get your PVC big enough! It fits casting rods just fine but the last eyelet on our spinning rods doesn't fit. Anyway, basically what we did for the lockers is put 12 3" holes in the boards so the PVC could lay inside of it. We sealed the boards secured the tubes in place with "The Devil's Spawn" AKA "5200" We had 3 boards secured to the ground and sidewalls that the PVC channeled through.
blue fin 444.jpg

We cut the PVC to different lengths in order to match up with the shape of the bow. Blue fin 555.jpg

That's all the update I have for right now. I'm waiting on some current pictures from my dad so I can better explain what exactly we did. If you have any questions please ask! More updates to come!

Attachments

• Blue fin 333.jpg
    Blue fin 333.jpg
    218.2 KB · Views: 5
  • blue fin 444.jpg
    blue fin 444.jpg
    284.2 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Wow ! Everything looks awesome ! The consoles turned out great ! :hail: ;)

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
OH YEAH!!!! Tell your Dad the Old Dumb Okie says HOWDY!!! Has he tried his hand at sewing on that MORSE Machine yet??? Looks like it won't be long before that "57 Chevy" boat of yours will be needing some Fancy Seats!!!!:eek::D;)

drpepper68

Seaman

The Man, "Old Man", The Myth, Yeah, it's a Myth that I KNOW anything!!!, The Legend, Yep I'm a Legend In my own Mind!!!! Here's a Pic to Prove I had the Supreme Pleasure of spending time with Brian and talking Life and Boats!!!! It's been a while since I've had time FLY that quickly and enjoyable. Thanks Brian for taking the time away from your family to come spend it with an Old Dumb Okie. I really had a GREAT TIME!!!!

You guys arent too far from me in Gunter. We go to OK all the time to camp. Taking the boat up there for the first time soon to Hochatown.

drpepper68

Seaman
Man I'm impressed with how much work you guys have done. Looking great. I can barely find the time to work on my boat project with kids sports, work and everything else. Everything else = any project my wife has me doing on the house. :)

joe423

Seaman Apprentice
Hello all! I took a trip home over the weekend and was able to take some pictures of the boat! We still have some small touches and improvements to add but it is very fishable! We have fished in it quite a lot over the past year. If you have any questions fell free to ask!

Here's a birdseye view (I'm standing on the splash well). The rear deck not only function as a fishing platform but it folds over turning it into a bench. We plan to sew up some cushions for the underneath. As you can see the passenger console has a hole in it right now, we are planning on installing a glove box. The driver's side console is outfitted with a Lowrance HDS-8 which we use as a fish finder, map and a substitute for gauges. The only real gauge we have on the boat is the RPM gauge. All the other gauges can be found on the Lowrance unit. As for the seats, we ended up biting the bullet and buying a couple. We were trying to leave for a trip to WI and didn't have time to make them...We will be trying out our sewing machine in the future! :D In between the consoles is the door for the rod locker. Up front we have a removable deck that we can keep in or out depending on whether we are fishing or bringing the whole family.

photobuck1.jpg

Foldable rear deck

Photobuck3.jpg

Starboard side console with the HDS8
Photobuck2.jpg

Attachments

• photobuck1.jpg
    photobuck1.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 3
  • Photobuck3.jpg
    Photobuck3.jpg
    268.1 KB · Views: 3