Fiberglass mat vs cloth

rlamothe

Seaman Apprentice
What do you guys use? Cloth seems easier to work with but mat seems stronger? Pros and cons?

tpenfield

Staff member
Re: Fiberglass mat vs cloth

We use both . . . based on the application, etc.

rockyrude

Lieutenant Junior Grade

They are two different materials, the mat is generally used to promote adhesion between layers of cloth and to give a smoother final coat to the areas that might ultimately want a good look such as the top of the deck. Cloth gives strength to the lay-up.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Don't forget heavy roving. I use it for the structural strenght portion of the repair. If I have a hole in the hull to repair, I use roving on the inside, usually nearly the entire thickness of the hull, and grind the hole to feather and to allow the mat to stick to the hull. So using epoxy on these critical repairs, I lay up several layers of roving on the inside, and lay small to larger layers of mat to match the grinding of the hole. All cloth is saturated with the same epoxy batch to give max adhesion and strength.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

104_7213.jpg104_7212.jpg104_7215.jpg

Mat is weaker than woven because the strands go every which way. It is used to quickly build-up thick sections. Since it gives a very uneven surface, you would use woven cloth on top for areas that show. Even then, though you will see some "print-through" on the final gel-coat finish.

Coarse woven roving is also used to quickly build-up thickness and it is stronger than mat.

For really thick areas like filling a transom, I use home insulation to reinforce the resin. It is a lot cheaper, especially if you salvage old stuff but it is a witch to wet- out thoroughly. You need to reduce the hardener a bit to give you more working time and stir in the insulation in in small pieces for a long time

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Mat=CSM, aka Chopped Strand Mat, comes in various weights
Cloth= a woven type of mat that is stitched together to form a cloth-like fabric, comes in many weights and configurations
All are used in the construction, repair and restoration of boats.
Depending on the the final strength and cosmetic results you are trying to achieve, either or both or a combination of the various types can be used...
Some are used mainly for strength, some for cosmetic finishing, some for building thickness, some even do it all in one 'cloth'
I generally use 1.5 ounce CSM as a base layer to which I then apply successive, alternating layers of 1708 biaxial cloth and CSM to reach my desired thickness...If I am going to be finishing the surface off with gelcoat or paint, I will usually make a thickened resin as a filler to smooth the surface...
Some may use a "veiling" material, which is layered over to create a finished surface, either for a final application of gelcoat or paint...
If I am not concerned with having a smooth finished surface, say under the decking or in the bilge area, I may paint over the textured finish with any of the following; gelcoat, paint, bilgecote, etc...just to add an additional layer of sealant to the surface...

Here is a good resource relating to fiberglass...http://forums.iboats.com/boat-resto...ake-fiberglass-information-thread-286013.html

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

If you are using Polyester resin, you must always use CSM prior to installing cloth. The combination Cloths, such as 1708 has some CSM stitched to the back so it's kinda like All in One Mat and Cloth. The biaxial cloth due to the way it's woven make is very strong and it has exceptional drapability making it easy to conform to irregular shapes. The Woven Roving is very thick and not very easy to conform to anything other than flat surfaces but it is very strong and builds thickness quickly.

Decker83

Commander

GT has given you some excellent information...
Tpenfield gave you the best answer..

Your question can't be answered without knowing your application..:D
Have a great day...