1983 Glasstream 1440 Pro Build/Restore

chris04008

Cadet
I have used the knowledge from all of you on last builds and forgot to jump on here and start a post for my current project. I was oringinally looking for a 16' Jon to build for fishing and ran across this beauty in the classifieds. The PO bought the boat last year and never used it and wanted to get rid of it this year. Good for him and good for me. Upon inspection I knew that it was going to be a total rebuild but for 700 was willing to take it on. Boat came with 77 Johnson 55 seahorse that is supposed to run, CMC power tilt/trim.

Day one: I will have to find pics but cut out forward casting deck to replace portion of deck to strengthen seat mount.

Day two decided that the deck was bad enough so seperated the top from bottom and stripped boat down to bare deck in preparation for deck replacement.

Day three that where I am now.

chris04008

Cadet
Re: 1983 Glasstream 1440 Pro Build/Restore

Here is current state. Not bad for only a couple of hours to work on her.

gm280

Supreme Mariner

Here is a pic with PO

WOW looks like you have a serious project boat there. I'll keep watching your progress and see how it comes out... I use to own a Glasstream Hydro Bass boat some years ago. It was a very fast boat too... Keep up the good work and post those pictures for us all to see... :)

chris04008

Cadet

Day three went well. Almost got her down to bare hull. The PO said it was solid...... Solid rot throughout. I have had a hard time finding information on glasstream boats. This is some of the worst glass work I have seen. The glass has several holes which allowed water to penetrate the wood causing the rot. Although the transom is solid it is wet so it is due for replacement as well. I will try to take more pictures as I start rebuilding.

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Hi chris04008,
Welcome to the Iboats Dry Dock...
Looks like a nice project you've gotten yourself...
I am currently restoring my Glasstream...yep, they are fast...
Looks like you have a good handle on what you are doing but if you need any help or info, the guys here are the best!
Check out my signature below for a link to my resto...the Indexes help take you directly to the relevant postings...
Best of Luck and Have Fun!
GT1M