Arkansas Traveler Boat Does Not Have Capacity Rating Plate........

Status
Not open for further replies.

cigarxtc

Seaman Apprentice
Hello All, I've got a 1957 Arkansas Traveler 16ft aluminum boat. It's v-hulled in the front and tapers to a semi-flat bottom at the back. The internal wood transom width is about 52 inches. The boat is mostly original, flaking paint, rotted transom wood, deteriating plastic emblems, etc . My question is how to find out the maximum load/capacity and horsepower rating for this boat? There is no specifications plate on it, and there are no obvious holes for where an id plate might have been. I wonder if they did not put those plates on these boats back then? It has space for what looks like three rows of seating. If there are other antique/old Arkansas Boat owners here, I'd love to hear from ya. I still haven't figured out what model I have and what it looked like new. :D

snapperbait

Vice Admiral
Re: Arkansas Traveler Boat Does Not Have Capacity Rating Plate........

If none other knows the max hp rating, you can figure it out with the formula on this web page <br /><br />You may be correct about the age of the boat being the reason it does'nt have USCG specs or an id plate..

bh357

Chief Petty Officer

The ratings plate became required equipment on boats produced beginning in 1973. Check out the Fiberglassics website. They have brocures on Arkansas Traveler boats from 1958, but you may get lucky and have a model which was produced in both 1957 and 1958. The brocures do list maximum recommended horsepower.

nigelbear

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have a 1957 Lone Star aluminum runabout that sounds about like yours, my boat is just over 16 ft and my transom is 52 inches also. <br />I did as bh357 suggested and found the info on fiberglassics.com.<br /><br />My boat was rated for a 40 hp motor and says it will seat 4 but carry 6 passengers. They didn't give weight limits though. Hope that helps.

lafonray

Recruit

I have a 1954 Aluminum 16' boat and it does have the tag and is rated for maximimum of 25HP. I bought this boat in 1979 in sad shape (aluminum good but gunnel wood rotted). I replaced the gunnells with yellow pine as I could not find oak which was the original wood. The yellow pine did not last very many years. I replaced it with phillipine mahogany and the seats as well in 1987,I also replaced the plywood on the transom at that time. The boat looked pretty good,but it sets in the sun and is not covered. The seats now look bad,the gunnels have held up and I have been getting it lake worthy again. I have a new electric start 20HP Honda on order that should be here next week.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

this is a 4year old thread

boater2

Recruit

Hello All, I've got a 1957 Arkansas Traveler 16ft aluminum boat. It's v-hulled in the front and tapers to a semi-flat bottom at the back. The internal wood transom width is about 52 inches. The boat is mostly original, flaking paint, rotted transom wood, deteriating plastic emblems, etc . My question is how to find out the maximum load/capacity and horsepower rating for this boat? There is no specifications plate on it, and there are no obvious holes for where an id plate might have been. I wonder if they did not put those plates on these boats back then? It has space for what looks like three rows of seating. If there are other antique/old Arkansas Boat owners here, I'd love to hear from ya. I still haven't figured out what model I have and what it looked like new. :D

When I was very young my dad bought a new boat in 1959 up at the lake in New Hampshire. It was an Arkansas Traveler with big fins in the back. It had a little red plate at the back of the boat to the left of the motor as you were looking at it and printed on it was 40 hp. That was the maximum size motor for that boat and we had a 40 hp Johnson on it. I remember it like it was yesterday and that's close to 50 years ago now. But it was aluminum on the bottom and fiber glass on the top.

Those were the days, my friend.

thumbless

Recruit

Here are the tags off my boat.:)

Attachments

• Boat Tags.jpg
    Boat Tags.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 9

hawgwildlady

Recruit

Ive got a 14 1/2 ft I bet its just as old the plate is located near the rear on rt and it says the serial number is on star side but its not there

thumbless

Recruit

It's not a tag it is stamped in.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

thumbless start a new thread, people look at this one, and see that it is 4 years old. and go to the next thread.

Kpegleg

Recruit

I have, what I think is a 1957 Arkansas Traveler fin boat. I haven't checked the model plate but I know where it is on this boat. If you stand facing the transom, bend over and look below the wooden bracing, you might see the two plates between the lower brace and the floor of the boat. That is where mine is. And get this, the plates are upside down so you can see them when you are bent over with your head hanging down. No Joke! I am going to get some pics of this bizarre placement some day. If you know of anyone who has a 1957 fin boat (Arkansas Traveler) and pictures to share, I would appreciate it. I am still trying to determine value etc. Oh and the rating for my 15 foot boat with aluminum hull and fiberglass top(foredeck) is 40hp.

Thanks Kpegleg

I have an Arkansas Traveler Utility H.D. Aluminum Boat with Oak seats and Gunwales. It is about 13.5 ft long and the plate on the transom board states max 25hp. There are no other plates on the boat. I do not know the year, but based on other pictures it is probably between 1952-1959. I am currently doing a complete restoration on this boat and am looking for other people that know anything about these boats.

little brother

Recruit

this might help. no year on this traveler but it's 14ft,52" transom,tag says 724 pounds plus 25hp motor, max.figure two more feet,100 pounds on weight and maybe 25 to 40 hp motor. you should be safe.

rcornw101

Recruit

I have a 16 ft. Arkansas Traveler Utility HD. It also has the wooden seats and gunwales. I bought it in 1987 from a lady whose husband used the boat in Virginia as a DNR Warden. I have replaced the gunwales with white oak, and the seats a number of times. I have the original plates on the transom, but am not where I get to them today. I would like to know more of the history of the Arkansas Traveler.

Kellyfmtx

Petty Officer 2nd Class

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arkansas_Traveler_(boat_line)

Here is a little history. Here is my 1964 Arkansas Traveler...

DSCN0489.jpg

leebo95

Seaman Apprentice

I just picked up one today that is a 57 I think, 14 ft alum.I am gonna start stripping off the three coats of paint tomorrow. I hit it with the pressure washer today...
It is still in pretty good shape and looks rugged as hell.
Lee

Attachments

• boat 3.jpg
    boat 3.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 1

gunther7

Recruit

What a beautiful job you've done with this boat. Here is mine. It's a 14' Arkansas Traveler Utility boat. I bought it with an Evinrude 3hp outboard motor that is in great shape although it does need some attention to the carbureator. I haven't committed 100% to restoring the boat just yet. I've replaced the gunwales with Oak but haven't begun the stripping. Hope to get to that in the early spring. Thanks for your inspiration.

Attachments

• IMG_8692small.jpg
    IMG_8692small.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 2

Hello,
I have a 17 ' fiberglass v hull travler boat model DUT-1736 and its id plate is on the stern next to motor.Max weight with motor,fuel,people and gear is 1900 lbs. I'm still trying to find out what year the boat is and to also find a factory service manual for a 1973 Mercury 2 cycle 85 h,p, serial #3617910..If anyone has one to sell or knows where I can buy one for less than the $75.00 advertised everywhere that'd be great !
contact me at REMOVED

EDIT: Personal email not allowed in the forums as well as soliciting to buy, sell, or trade. This can be done by private message only.

-ezmobee

SteveStephen

Recruit

Here is what I know: I have what appears to be a 1952 or 53, 14ft (13ft.+)Sportsman.

They didn't start stamping the aluminum hull til the mid-late 50's. Watch the forums for info from users who discovered stamped on IDs and the location to confirm the earliest years of stamping for your specific model.

On my Sportsman, on the inside bolted on wood transom, there were two small metal plates that were tacked in place with brads= centered on the transom. One of these, the capacity plate / max HP, I still have (up to 25hp). There is a discoloration on the plywood where the serial & model number plate was but is no where to be found - I bought it this way with tell tale signs the boat sat outside with water in it for several years. I have the original wood transom in place which needs replacing as a final step of restoration.

Many Arkansas Traveler history article have the early dates of the company wrong. I have a January 1951 ad showing the entire fleet of boats. I always wondered how mine made it up to Wisconsin; Easy, they were made here too.

Fiberglassics.com has a gallery of boat info. For clues to you boats age you have to dig around various sources and through posted photos. Go here:
http://www.fiberglassics.com/library/Arkansas_traveler
to see the hull info, starting with 1954. Max HP included. By verifying transom width and flotation material (air or styrofoam) I was able to confirm mine predates 1954 (I have non-foam filled air cans - 54 had styrofoam). My 1951 ad shows a couple different design elements too.

I intend to share the ad on Fiberglassics in the future.

Good luck searching...I have been over every inch of the hull cleaning and stripping old original paint off. Don't get discouraged by the replies from folks who found the stamped numbers. Yours most likely predates theirs.

Status
Not open for further replies.