My Walleye Project - 70's Sea Nymph SS160 1668

jvanhees

Petty Officer 1st Class
LOL good point WOG. 2014 was a crazy year with those twins, buying and selling a house, and moving. Actually worked last night on the boat for the first time in a long while. Getting my hatches drawn out on my front deck and moving gas tank, seats, livewell, batteries around to determine where I want everything. I think I have it pretty close to good.

I've never cut hatches before, so this should be interesting.

Also, I was going to do nautolex, but after a lot of thinking last night, I think I may go with the Jas epoxy/sand method.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Hey welcome back! Looking forward to seeing some pics of your progress.

jvanhees

Petty Officer 1st Class
Well there hasnt been a ton, but there has been some.

I was pretty apprehensive about hatches...thinking I would screw them up.....but dove in anyways. I did screw up a little, but I will make that work and cover that later...

I started by dry fitting my bow deck into the boat. Then added the live well under it, and did some tracing/drilling of pilot holes which I used to make my hatch square on the opposite side. Once I had my hatches drawn out, I went to the saw horses and started cutting.

That Ryobi wasnt cutting it, for the curves. So I busted out the old faithful jigsaw from my Grandpa...much better.

Once the hatch doors were cut out,I moved to the hatch backers. This is where I got goofed up. When I cut out the doors, the live well side is too wide. I did this on purpose thinking I could rest the hatch door on the live well top edges( these edges are used to mount to bottom of deck). Well I changed my mind, and met myself half way. Kind of hard to explain, but I will be mounting the live well to the hatch backers AND the bottom of the deck....with support under the live well too. This way I can seal all the edges with 5200, and have enough support. Pic further down.

Here is the hatch backer cut. I then sanded all inner hatch/outer door edges. I will laminating them together tonight. You can see the backers only cover half of the hatch...that is bc of my livewell issue. I may increase to full backer on the non live well side.

Live well mounting (green) to the deck. There will also me mounting from the bottom of the live well to the lower deck. The red square is now 1.5" thick strong for mounting the bow seat.

Lots of pictures, lots of pondering, little work done.

Watermann

Looking good and strong to me. :thumb: I used angle AL for the hatch backer supports and put my pedestal over that cross member bulkhead.

jvanhees

Petty Officer 1st Class
Are you speaking of the bulkhead at the rear end of the deck or the one in the middle? My middle one needs some bulking up too, which I will be doing.

Got her glued and screwed!

My epoxy is ordered. So I will be prepping the ready pieces for the epoxy sand treatment.

I am determining hatch placement in my rear deck, and will most likely cut those out next too.

Watermann

Yeah the back bulkhead. Boy that middle one up front is pretty flimsy alright. Looking good with the forward progress. After a couple seasons of some hard fishing the deck armor I used looks new still except for needing swabbed.

Looking forward to the upcoming February pre-spawn wally dog bite here.

utfisherman

Seaman
I have an 1982 seanymph mine is leaking around the rivets.. I was wondering if I painted the inside of the hull if that will help seal it. just a thought. has anyone else done this before

64osby

Admiral
ut - Seal the seams with Gluvit or Coat-it, then paint it.

This be something to discuss in your own thread.

jvanhees

Petty Officer 1st Class
Got some more work done last night. My epoxy came in and I gave all decking the JAS epoxy/fine sand treatment. It turned out much better than I expected(didnt know what to expect) and will provide a lot of traction. I need to apply more epoxy/sand to a couple places I missed, but overall impressed!

Didnt take long at all to apply the epoxy. Went on very easy compared to the epoxy treatment I used on the bottom of boat(black FASCO). I would recommend extra sand when applying, so everything is covered. Cant wait to get these finished up and in the boat for good!

Once that was done, I added extra support to the front deck cross member which was weak. I also sanded down the dirty rusty pedastals from the ol duracraft.

Before

After - Ill be hitting these with black gloss rusto when it warms up a little in the garage.

Last edited:

jvanhees

Petty Officer 1st Class
Im trying to find my link to the piano hinges, so I can get those on order for the hatches. Ill also be cutting a few more hatches into the rear deck I think. The rear deck isnt big, but I think I will regret it if I dont add them now - or I may make the forward facing bulkhead and the front of the rear deck flip up/down to access. Havent decided yet.

Watermann

Way to knock out the chores. What paint are you putting on top of the epoxy cat box? :lol: I made a non-skid pad above my swim platform on the Chief. I shot some paint dusted it with the sand, let dry for a few hours and then shot more paint on it to cover and dull the sharpness of the sand.

Hey one suggestion for the AL continuous hinge. Get the stuff without holes in it already so when you cut it to size you don't end up trying to do it around the holes and the knuckles. Some of the best prices on it I found at Amazon.

jvanhees

Petty Officer 1st Class
Way to knock out the chores. What paint are you putting on top of the epoxy cat box? :lol: I made a non-skid pad above my swim platform on the Chief. I shot some paint dusted it with the sand, let dry for a few hours and then shot more paint on it to cover and dull the sharpness of the sand.

Hey one suggestion for the AL continuous hinge. Get the stuff without holes in it already so when you cut it to size you don't end up trying to do it around the holes and the knuckles. Some of the best prices on it I found at Amazon.

LOL - it is pretty sandy around here right now. Going to use rustoleum gray. I missed a few spots so added more sand and epoxy.

Picked up the AL continuous hinge from aircraft supply, cheap...and got the hinges/hatches done.

jvanhees

Petty Officer 1st Class
Then last night, I secured the floor in for good using stainless screws into the aluminum runners below.

Also, got the livewell installed to bottom of front deck under the right hatch, and the AL bulkhead in place....need to fasten those down next.

Once thats installed, I will epoxy/sand the rear deck and install that.
Then caulk edges/seems and paint over all.

Watermann

There ya go! You're gonna be out on the waves in that eye getter before ya know it. :encouragement:

jvanhees

Petty Officer 1st Class
got the rear deck epoxy sanded, and hopefully installed tonight. If it would warmup just a bit that would be nice, trying to get some paint on the deck!

jvanhees

Petty Officer 1st Class
Threw on some paint last night!

Thinking of going black or using the same gray between the wood on the greener looking AL primed parts. Just doesnt look right yet.

Also, got the outboard (50hp johnson) hooked up to a brand new battery for my trolling motor, and she turns over quite well. Shot some gas into the cylinders, and she fires right up. Needs some new lines and a new tank to do it the right way.

Last edited:

Watermann

Must have warmed up some for ya. Looking forward to seeing my SN's sister ship hit the lake for some wally dog action.

jvanhees

Petty Officer 1st Class
Must have warmed up some for ya. Looking forward to seeing my SN's sister ship hit the lake for some wally dog action.

Thanks for taggin along Water! The walleye are in the Detroit River now, but do not think I will be done in time. May have to be on Saginaw bay this summer for this girl.