Best way to fill holes in deck/transom prior to using Durabak?

ShawnQ

Chief Petty Officer
I am going to be applying Durabak to the whole interior of my 19ft Blue Wave, as well as the Decks, transom, and gunnels (insides).<br /><br />There are a few miscellaneous holes that I am going to want to fill prior to using the durabak, and I was curious as to what I should use/do to fill them up, water tight.<br /><br />Any particular way I need to go about this? 3M 5200, or something else?<br /><br />The holes are about 1/8" diameter, they were used to for 4ea. cooler hold downs (the little corner pieces that you bungee your cooler to). I want to re-position them, and need to fill the old holes.<br /><br />There are also a few other minor holes, similar to this.<br /><br />Any help is appreciated, thanks!<br />Shawn

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Best way to fill holes in deck/transom prior to using Durabak?

Epoxy Putty........

ob15

Chief Petty Officer

^^

18rabbit

Captain

The thing about E-putty is you can’t really go wrong with it. :) Durabak is going to make a water-tight seal over the holes...you just need to fill them in. MarineTex – fill and wipe with a scraper. Done. Got samples and color chips in the mail. We are going with the Durabak also for all inside flooring, outside all walking surfaces and cabin top.

thehermit

Petty Officer 1st Class

Also going with duraback on deck of 18' novi. Anyone out there have "e"pinon on durabck after a season or two of use?<br />hermit

ShawnQ

Chief Petty Officer

A guy I talk to here locally put UltraTuff on one part of his boat and Durabak on the other. After a season of use, he said that he prefers the Durabak over the UltraTuff, and plans to re-do the whole thing with the Durabak.<br /><br />I personally chose the Durabak because their blue color matches my hull side almost perfectly, so I went that route. The materials look almost the same to me.<br /><br />Take it as you will..<br /><br />Shawn

thehermit

Petty Officer 1st Class

shwan..this makes me feel good seing how I am waiting on a gallon of durabak that I ordered just the other day.<br />TH

ShawnQ

Chief Petty Officer

Just an FYI also...<br /><br />everyone says it's 'TOO HEAVY'...BS<br /><br />My carpet that I took out weighed 83lbs. <br /><br />Durabak, according to the makers, weighs 10lbs per gallon, meaning 30lbs total for my boat.<br /><br />Just thought I'd throw that out there. I'm not sure what the UltraTuff weighs.<br /><br />I also wanted to say that I am not knocking the UltraTuff. I think anything is better then carpet, and either of the two mentioned are better then factory paint/webbing. The color was my deciding factor.<br /><br />Shawn

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

Shawn, I think those who say truck bedliner is too heavy are probably refering to the professional spray-in liner, which is very heavy and not practical for marine use. Any do it yourself bedliner will get the job done and not be too heavy.

thehermit

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey Shawn,<br />I ordered 1 gal for my 18. Are you saying you went through 3 on a 19 footah? how many coats?<br />hermit

KeltonKrew

Lieutenant

at 2 coats, you get approx. 60 sq. ft. of coverage. Your 19' has more than 60 sq. ft.<br /><br />my 13' whaler has approx. 110 sq. ft.

ShawnQ

Chief Petty Officer

thehermit,<br /><br />I ordered 3 for my boat, and it's 18'9"<br /><br />I plan to use it on the complete interior though, not just the deck. I had carpet in mine, and I'm completely removing it and applying only durabak.<br /><br />One gallon would work for just the decks and maybe a strip in the 'walkway' around the console, but I doubt it would work.<br /><br />I ordered 2 gallons of blue for the decks, and gunnels, and then one gallon of light grey for the floor. I am curious as to whether or not the 1 gallon will cover the floor.<br /><br />Shawn

thehermit

Petty Officer 1st Class

sounds like I am in for another gal at least. <br />TH