89 Chris Craft Sea Hawk 254

fscuttle

Seaman
Re: 89 Chris Craft Sea Hawk 254

My main goal is to get it in usable condition and then work on the details a little at a time. Needs a new motor. 5.7 Volvo. Im getting a little worried about transom and stringer rot after reading a lot on the subject tonight. There are trim tabs and two transducers and a speedometer all screwed in below the water line and i don't know how well they were sealed when installed. The boat hasn't been in the water since late 98.

stratcat88

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My main goal is to get it in usable condition and then work on the details a little at a time. Needs a new motor. 5.7 Volvo. Im getting a little worried about transom and stringer rot after reading a lot on the subject tonight. There are trim tabs and two transducers and a speedometer all screwed in below the water line and i don't know how well they were sealed when installed. The boat hasn't been in the water since late 98.
nice boat. i have a 1985 scorpion 254. its almost the same boat. im working on mine too. in the middle of rewiring the whole boat. everything. and gauges,lites etc... what will you do if the stringers are rotted?

zool

Captain

I recently brought mine home after siting for years on blocks, 1988 28' sf with twins. It had trim tabs and transducers screwed below the water line too, but when I drilled into it, its still solid...so you may be in luck. With the VP 5.7 you most likely have the aq290 drive. Theres a place on ebay that sells new 5.7 volvo that will bolt right up to your drive with the smaller flywheel as an option. He gets under 5k for a complete new tested motor with a half cooling system on it!..I think its daddyomarine or something like that, they are in FL.

fscuttle

Seaman

I did the plastic mallet test on the transom from the outside it sounds very solid everywhere. I'm going to check the stringers tomorrow. I don't know if im checking it right though. Is it worth it to have it surveyed before i buy a motor? The only trouble i have found is the floor gives very slightly only on the starboard side right next to the engine box opening. I got a quote on a rebuilt AQ271 from Jasper for $2300. I think im going to go with that because i can pick it up nearby and wont need to send a core charge in. The outdrive is a duo prop. And then i will probably buy OEM manifolds. I will check out daddy marine though. Thanks.

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Plastic mallet beating on a boat will NOT reveal if there is any rot...only core samples of the underlying wood structure will show any signs...soft floors anywhere indicate rot has been at work already...you need to find out where and how far it has migrated to be sure of your investment...
Good Luck,
GT1M

fscuttle

Seaman

Got the engine out. The bearings feel real smooth on the outdrive shaft. I think im going to leave them alone. The boat really didnt have a lot of hours on it. Opinions?555104_4770637630102_1395262115_n.jpg

zool

Captain

If you're refering to the pds bearings, thats a call you have to make. I suppose you could grease it up.....just remember, if you have the red flywheel cover, it has front and rear bearings, if you have the charcoal cover, it just has one bearing. The red one requires engine removal to replace the front bearing. The charcoal one can be replaced from the rear without engine removal. If it lets go, it could be catastrophic. The bearings are industry standard and can be gotten relatively cheap at Napa and are the same as the VP oem. The procedure is relatively simple and goes a long way for piece of mind.

fscuttle

Seaman

As long as i don't have to take the flywheel cover out then i might as well change them. I have the 2 bearing setup. I'm guessing they are held in the cover with a snap ring and they press onto the shaft?

zool

Captain

Heres a comprehensive procedure thread, Ric knows his stuff...yes, you should be able to remove it through the bellows with a brass drift.

Replacing PDS Bearings

If you dont have the drive manual, its available here on Iboats in the VP section to download... Don s gives the link. thats where I got mine ;)...

chriscraft254

Commander

I have a 1990 version of your boat. Take a pic of the underside of the deck that is soft from inside the engine compartment. There should be a space there. On my boat that space was filled with a board to solidify the deck. I will take pics as soon as I get a chance. You might want to check out my restore thread for other ideas for your boat. Good luck.

fscuttle

Seaman

I have checked out your thread many times. I'm going to steal a lot of your ideas. I'll never get it as nice as yours though. I will shoot the pic sometime tomorrow when i'm cleaning the bilge. Whats good for bilge cleaning? Its really greasy. I was thinking of power washing but now i'm thinking that might force water into areas i don't want it to be....thanks

chriscraft254

Commander

I used purple power cleaner and a scrub brush for the bilge. You will probably see some white coming off with it though, it is strong stuff

fscuttle

Seaman

Brand New roller cam 5.7 from Marine Engines in Holliston MA. Only $2760 and $119 delivery to NY. Ordered it Thursday afternoon and it was at my door on Monday at 12:30. What a pleasure dealing with this company.936832_4834566948295_1420405572_n-1.jpg

fscuttle

Seaman

Bilge cleaned with Greez Off. Not too bad considering how dirty it was.IMG_0101.jpg