96' Grumman Rebuild

GrumNH91

Recruit
I'd been looking around for a reasonably priced boat for a while that would be great in ponds and rivers but also be worthy of larger lakes, when one day I stopped by a local marina and found this boat. Knowing it needed a new floor I decided to take the plunge. With only a month till fishing season would be underway my father and I along with the help of one of my buddies got straight to work getting her water worthy.

photo (2).jpg

The boat had not been covered over the winter and a foot of snow was still covering the floor of the boat when I initially looked at it. Uncovering it to find a cracked and saturated floor. Once I got it home letting it dry in the sun for a few days so the floor could dry out. Our original idea involved taking the old floor out while keeping it in one piece to be used as a template.
This plan was a great idea in our minds, until we got to the task. The previous owner decided to use two layers of quarter inch plywood that had completely rooted breaking into pieces as we removed it. The bonus to this day was finding out that the foam under the floor would need to be replaced as well being completely saturated.

photo.jpg

A week later I got to the joyous task of removing of all the foam on the bottom of the boat. From everything I had previously read on this site I knew it would be the worst part and just wanted to get it out of the way. In the process I decided to check under the front floor board which was not rooted, to make sure the foam in the front was not also wet. A positive was found that it was still dry and would not have to been replaced.

photo (1).jpg

Looking at the wiring throughout the boat, the majority of the wires had broken due to rust along the another cluster of wires I found in the boat that did not hook up to anything. Deciding just to do all the wiring while the floor is out would be the best option so their is no future problems. Which takes me to the current situation of waiting for the wire in the mail to continue the process, that hopefully will arrive tomorrow....

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: 96' Grumman Rebuild

That'll be a great fishing rig when you're done. Good luck with your project.

GrumNH91

Recruit

Thanks for the reply, sorry took it so long to get back.

Progress has been made---> Spent two Saturdays ago working on the boat with my buddy, got the all the wiring hooked up and working, only hit one snag with the busbar. But we figured it out and handled it. Just needed a different type.

Made a lot of progress this past weekend

Foam in Progress.jpg

Me and pops got the foam laid down in a few hours, then started on cutting the deck in the morning. Went with the 3/4 AC to be safe. Got the whole deck cut and angled in a few hours."He's pretty good with the skill-saw." Bought some stain before I went back to school, hoping he'll have some time this week to put a couple of coats on this week. I know I'm gonna have to make it up to him for fathers day this year.

Now for a couple questions. I was hoping to put down vinyl but that's gonna be out of my budget. Then thought about trying Dri-Dek after I saw a couple of pics, but using that isn't much cheaper. So I'm thinking it's gonna have to be carpet.

What brand? How many oz do I need to get? Whats the cheapest place to order it?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

The cheapest is gonna be whatever outdoor carpet they have on a roll at Home Depot/Lowes.