1988 Imperial 280sf engine swap and restoration (pics)

zool

Captain
Update:

Went out back after work this afternoon, to get a little more tabbing done. The temps inside were just under 100 deg, I felt like KFC ;)

There was a breeze coming off the field, so I decided to try putting the windows on that side, for a cross flow, the aft side is partially open already.

Went back out a little elater, and it was only down to 90.

So I gave it a shot, mixed up 16oz of resin and put up some cloth. I got one piece on, and the pail smoked after 10 min. I figured as much, today was abnormally hot for this time of year, but I see a problem coming soon enough, for now ill have to use a wider pail, and maybe some ice to keep it long enough. I don't want to give up the roof over my head just yet, so I may try one of those greenhouse shade covers.

I stopped because im really low on resin right now, and don't have any wider pails on hand. Ill have to grind off the dry edge, and try again tomorrow when it cooler.

Last edited:

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Update:

Went out back after work this afternoon, to get a little more tabbing done. The temps inside were just under 100 deg, I felt like KFC ;)

Where's the chicken? Perfect temps to cook and work in says I. Sometimes I'll use a plastic paint pan liner/disposable thingy in a paint pan to thin out the resin batch. Seems to work me a little more time.

zool

Captain
Paint tray liners would probably give a little more time, but all of my painting supplies are down the shore,, as I finish up the house cosmetics, and everything around the barn is dirty at best. I started scrounging around the admirals cabinets for some Tupperware, but quickly backed out of that mouse trap!

Im so busy with work right now, I actually have inspections to do this morning, on the way back ill grab some large HD pails. Also putting an order in for more epoxy, some white pigment, and a little more cloth........and maybe ill grab a raw chicken while im out :D

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
I could have picked up that 6' chicken from Welaka and sent it to ya !

Mikeopsycho

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I hear the colonel, er, chicken-man, aka Kevin won't give out the recipe. :pound:Toasty warm in that dry dock, boat hanger, rebuild shop there Zool. Looks like you're gonna need more ventilation. What's the ambient outside temp when your shelter reaches 100* inside? We're still dipping a tad below freezing overnight around these parts.

zool

Captain
It was 80* out and sunny, when it was 100 in there...sunny is the key, overcast and its around the same in and out...

I know his recipe:

Dip chicken portions in epoxy
Coat with poly dust
leave inside tent for 3 hrs
discard and order take out ;)

zool

Captain
I could have picked up that 6' chicken from Welaka and sent it to ya !

would love to have that 6' chicken Sam, Well I do declare!....Id put it right out on the front lawn...like Foghorn Leghorn! :D

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
I hear the colonel, er, chicken-man, aka Kevin won't give out the recipe. :pound:Toasty warm in that dry dock, boat hanger, rebuild shop there Zool. Looks like you're gonna need more ventilation. What's the ambient outside temp when your shelter reaches 100* inside? We're still dipping a tad below freezing overnight around these parts.

Well ya know Mike...It is a Secret recipe passed down to me thru generations Southern Culinary Chicken frying. But I did start another little chain called Popeyes and
don't tell anyone the food tastes betta and service is betta ands so be da pricing. I'm a yea, yea....diversifying my portfolio.
Zool I think the BIG Chicken on the front lawn will look alot better than the ceramic guy holding the lamp thingy.
I looked up a definition of ZOOL...I'm not making it up so here goes and it so appropriate ; lol..;)
Urban dictionary... Zool
The word used for somebody who is so cool that the word "cool" just isn't cool enough. Also a great comeback for the word "tool".

zool

Captain
lol, you've got too much time on your hand KFC!...I never looked it up, but that handle has more of a technical origin...

Ok, so I went out there this afternoon, it was somewhat cooler, so mixed up a small batch and I fixed the tabbing piece from Saturday...and added the second piece.

There was apiece of 17oz from the old batch I got from usc, without the heavy string in it...here you can see the difference between the 2. Not sure of the stringy stuff is stronger, but it will be more of a pain to fair..

I hope they send me the old stuff when I get more, the unraveling is PIA.

Then I went into the shop to see whats up in there...

zool

Captain
Since I haven't really spent much time in the shop since I started the house, I figured id re-acclimate myself...it looked like an exploded schematic of my boat!..so I did some reorganizing and cleaned a little...good for the soul.

Put a lot of parts in boxes and shelved them for now

Last edited:

zool

Captain
I rolled out some 8.9 eglass and prepared to preglass the shelves for the batteries and water heater.

I didn't wet it out yet, cuz im dangerously low on hardener and resin, actually, mostly hardener, from prior goof ups on careless measuring...The chickens have come home to roost..:D

I didn't want to get stuck in the middle of these larger wet outs..so I stopped till I restock.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Oh now you've gone and done it, you'll never find anything with your shop looking like that! :lol:

Made me think of how wrecked my garage is right now, I only want to grab a beer from the fridge when I go out there.

bigdirty

Yup, you're screwed now zool.. you will spend more time looking for tools than it takes to do the job! :lol: lookin good as always man, and I'm still quite jealous of your shop(s) too, just so you know.. I really need more space..

zool

Captain
Yup, you're screwed now zool.. you will spend more time looking for tools than it takes to do the job! :lol: lookin good as always man, and I'm still quite jealous of your shop(s) too, just so you know.. I really need more space..

C'mon down, ill give you plenty of space!...between me, you, and Watermann, we can build that empty bottle stock right back up!........and umm, I blame the lost tools on the 80's....I lose them regardless of shop condition :rolleyes:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Your pre cleaned shop looks a lot better than mine right now . :facepalm:

bigdirty

I'm sure I was born in the wrong era.. :lol: but I can say the late 90's was defiantly a messed up time.. from what I remember... maybe it was just me tho..

Anyway... I think it might be epic, might be a bad scene , but would be fun either way zool, If I came to visit and we got into a bunch of beers and built boats.. :laugh: Hey, if I hit it big playing the lotto I might be knocking on your door in the near future :wink: