1988 Imperial 280sf engine swap and restoration (pics)

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Yeah man, glad to see you getting back at it and thinking of forward progress.

zool

Captain
Thanks guys, I was happy out there too!..I guess its something to do with the gravitational pull a boat has when the weather starts to warm......Even if it doesn't have a prayer of running right now :D

mr300z87

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Good to see you at it again, hopefully our weather will start getting warmer so some serious boat work can begin.

zool

Captain
Good to see you at it again, hopefully our weather will start getting warmer so some serious boat work can begin.

Ive been hopeful too mrz, but were still way under normal temps.....they never could get anything right in Jersey lol

zool

Captain
Before I had to start cooking today, I stole an hour to get some tabbing done..It was a balmy 80 deg in the tent...gonna have to add the windows soon for a cross draft.

I cleaned up the area with some solvent and the grinder, then put up two layers of cloth on the port side

and covered the sister board

I just need another larger piece butted to the adjacent lam...

zool

Captain
I got a couple layers on the starboard side done too, then got called in for KP

The whole engine compartment is visible, so Ill have to step up the fairing in this area, and I plan to beef up the glass schedule on the stringers, since they step down so low, they had an extra layer of woven on them from the factory as well. So ultimately the stringers will have been glued in with 403, then coved with 406, faired with 407, and feathered with 410, same with all tabbed 90 deg corners..The transom glass schedule will be 3 layers of 17oz and 3 layers of tabbing

zool

Captain
Thanks Minch, and Happy Easter!

I was glad to move the ball a little today..

zool

Captain
I found an old album with a few pics of the boat in the mid 90's, when she was in full swing.

I kept her next door in the neighbors slip, which was deeper than mine.

And a few from a trolling trip at the 28 mile wreck off AC

That's the slip where she hung her nose under the bulkhead when breaking free...the beginning of the end...well, not really the end, she will fish again!

Mikeopsycho

Soon she'll look every bit as good as she ever did, and she'll be much more sound than when she was first built.

jc55

I would love to have a cottage next to a slip...cool pics!