1988 Imperial 280sf engine swap and restoration (pics)

zool

Captain
Thanks for the props guys!...well its down right freezing here today, so im going nowhere near the boat this week :(...the weekend is looking a little better tho....

produceguy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Wow zool, your a pretty awsome dude.
Just found your thread and flipped throu it a little. I'm gonna have to get caught up on the reading but the house is beautiful and the boat is a very cool project.

zool

Captain
Welcome aboard PG, and thanks....Im looking forward to ramping up the progress, as I wind down the other....

ahmincha

Lieutenant Commander
Well zool I started reading your thread because I am thinking about going epoxy and ended up reading all 73 pages grat work on boat temp structure and beach house. As I know you will keep up the good work

zool

Captain
Well zool I started reading your thread because I am thinking about going epoxy and ended up reading all 73 pages grat work on boat temp structure and beach house. As I know you will keep up the good work

Welcome aboard minch and thanks!, wow u read all that? lol..I havnt been back there in a while ;)

No real complaints from me about the epoxy, just an occasional rash from sensitivity.

Sorry, no real updates right now, been busy with all the holiday stuff. The shelter is holding up great so far, so ill be back out there soon I hope.

See u guys soon!

zool

Captain
Hey gang, just checking in to let u know I havnt given up on the boat, or the forum, ive just been dealing with a lot lately. Mom went back in the hospital over the holidays, and passed away just after new years...so we have to do the services and stuff this week. I should be back around soon.

Its real cold right now, but on the sunny days above 40, the shelter is still warm enough to glass, especially with the torpedo fired up at the start. I did get a little more filleting done, but stopped because I realize I need a few small rear supports fabricated for the shelves....thye weren't there from the factory, but I cant seem to hold the right pitch for runoff into the bilge, or maybe a screw or two thru the firewall to hold it till its tabbed...ill repost some pics after I get thru this new situation...

I also need to catch up on everyones threads too....looks like some are cranking right thru the winter, that's a good thing ;)

jc55

Senior Chief Petty Officer
My condolences as well. Boats are pretty far down the list. My thoughts and prayers to you and your family.

tpenfield

Staff member
Sorry for your loss, Zool.. Went through that myself a few months ago.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Sorry to hear about your mother Zool ... Prayers to you and your family ...

Tboner7864

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey zool havent been around for a while checking in I'm sorry to hear about your mom, I lost my mom back in September I actually buried her my self my thoughts and prayers to you and yours

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Zool I'm with you there on the feeling of loss, awhile back my mom passed away. I stayed with her in her house on hospice care and held her hand as she took her last breath. It was tough to let go but I knew she was out of pain and on to a better place.

If you're anything like me it was best for me to stay busy and keep myself occupied.

Best wishes and prayers.

zool

Captain
Thanks for the well wishes guys, means a lot. Im ok with it all now, glad to see her not suffer...that's the worst. We're all on the hook one of these days, after many hrs of reflection at the service, I did catch myself imagining a mahogany barrelback deep V casket for myself some day...hopefully a long time from now ;)

zool

Captain
Seadate 3.28.15 These are the continued voyages of the restoration of the sportfish Enterprise.

I went out to the boat this afternoon, to re-acclimate myself..and to se how things held up. Surprisingly, the plastic held up all winter, but it wasn't near as bad, snow wise, as last year.

I never did end up adding anymore bracing to it, so im good to go for a while.

I took last years plastic, from the bubble trouble, and started to use it as a dust barrier, and to help keep the negative pressure in the booth.

Im gonna cover it all with fire rock.

Last edited:

zool

Captain
While I was out there, I put the water holding tank brackets together and screwed them into the coffin box. It turns out, I never too a pic of the tank in the boat, but I figured out which openings were for what, also guestimated how high to set the bracing, so theres clearace for the tank fill, vent, feed hoses, and sending unit wire harness.

All the braces are coated with like 4 layers of resin, I was just throwing whatever was left in the pail from a glass session, on them here and there, I also threw a coat of epoxy paint, just to use up leftovers also....

I don't know where I put the straps, I probably threw them out figuring to replace, so that's what ill do...might go with pipe hanging straps, doubled up, over neoprene strips, like it was.

Its was 40's outside, and 60 in the shelter ;)