1988 Imperial 280sf engine swap and restoration (pics)

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Looking good Zool! Looks like that one should stand up to a winter (or two?)

zool

Captain
Gunna put plastic on the roof ? Looks strong enough for some tin or the plastic corrugated stuff . Like a big green house ...

I was thinking of using the clear corrugated panels, but to cover this, it prices out just under a grand :eek:...a little more for tin...so that's out lol

Just going with the 6mil clear roll from HD, at 99 bux :D..one roll should cover it all.

zool

Captain
Looking good Zool! Looks like that one should stand up to a winter (or two?)

yea NM, I need at least 2 years, but can change the covering when needed.....im adding some gussets that came with the modular house that im not using, theyre just 3/4 osb, but are already cut to 6/12...so theyre ready to go, they gave me about 50 of them lol

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Was that priced out for the whole thing or just the roof ?
I think Woody had a link for a place to get some real heavy duty plastic or tarps at a good price ..

zool

Captain
Was that priced out for the whole thing or just the roof ?
I think Woody had a link for a place to get some real heavy duty plastic or tarps at a good price ..

just the roof panels, ridge cap, and the wavy end caps..the panels are $23+- each, I'd need 36. He gave me that link, great prices, but I didn't see clear.. I want the light and heat.

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Just something to think about... I don't know what your wintertime temps are like there in NJ, but I know that the 6mil poly will become brittle when left in the sun and cold. I had some stuff covered with that 6 mill for about a year, and the poly crumbled when I went to unwrap it this last spring. (of course, we had 50+ days of below 0 this last winter, so that may have accelerated the breakdown:cold:)

Not saying that your plan won't work, just wanted to give a heads up about my experience with the poly and exposure.

Last edited:

zool

Captain
Just something to think about... I don't know what your wintertime temps are like there in NJ, but I know that the 6mil poly will become brittle when left in the sun and cold. I had some stuff covered with that 6 mill for about a year, and the poly crumbled when I went to unwrap it this last spring. (of course, we had 50+ days of below 0 this last winter, so that may have accelerated the breakdown:cold:)

Not saying that your plan won't work, just wanted to give a heads up about my experience with the poly and exposure.

Actually, the poly held up thru last winter with not much degrading, I still have it in the barn for other tasks, It was the pvc pipes that failed, due to a lack of a ridge, and 6 feet of snow :eek:. I don't think the poly would make it a whole year, but it comes back off in April, or it gets crazy hot in there lol.

Im still exploring the tarp link woody gave me, to see if they have a heavier opaque one.

Okieboatguy

Petty Officer 1st Class
Instead of the standard 6mil poly plastic, have you thought about 6mil Shrink wrap, the same thing used to winterize and protect boats for long term storage? 17' x 120' is less than $150 on Amazon and it comes in Blue, white, and clear.Once shrunk down to the frame, it would give additional stability, and less likelihood of loose plastic flapping in high winds and starting a chain reaction of tearing and destruction.

bigdirty

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Holeeeeey! That defiantly looks like it will withstand the winter weather a little better than the last.. uh... structure. :lol: Hmm... maybe I should put one of those up in my driveway this winter... :rolleyes: I am with Okie, it would be cheep, and I've seen boats shrink wrapped then left for 2 or 3 years, and the stuff holds up fairly well...

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
How does the shrink wrap shrink . I mean it goes on loose then the sun makes it shrink ???
Never seen it done before thats why I'm asking ...

Okieboatguy

Petty Officer 1st Class
The shrink wrap is pretty simple. Basically you would need just 1 tool, lord knows we always need more tools, but a heat gun either electric, which would be slow going, or propane, my personal method. The shrink wrap can shrink down about a maximum of 1/3 its original size, so if it is put on loose, it should be skin tight aftr it is hit with a heat gun. You would need seam tape to put your seams togather, obviously, and then the edges could be wrapped around a 1 x 2 furring strip or 1/2" pvc pipe which would be connected to the framing. I have done my old bass boat in years past twice and it was relatively easy. The supply place I bought my wrap from also had a rounded galvanized frame they did, so they could work in poor weather, and it was up for several years with the same wrapping. Keeping in mind that this was in Colorado Springs, before I moved to Oklahoma. The winters were colder, and wetter with a lot more snow, and the summer sun was much more UV intensive.
I did a quick check and there are several youtube videos on shrink wrapping Boats, RV's, and buildings.

zool

Captain
The marina would usually wrap the boat in white SR, but I don't recall getting the heat build up with the white, when I would go in under the wrap, but the clear looks like it would do the same as the poly rolls ive been using.

looks toastie in there :)

Since I bought the poly roll already, ill give it another try this winter, if it fails, im gonna give the shrink a try, heating it all up on this big a structure might be tricky at best tho...the poly is 20' wide, so the whole roof gets a one piece cover, then gorilla tape on the side and gable wall seams....I could probably work with the 17' shrink wrap roll, but the seams would be on the roof, but I could run a purlin along the seam if I had to...

thanks for all the tips guys.....hoping to get this wrapped Monday if possible...I got alot of glassing to do, and little free time right now :(

Mikeopsycho

Pretty soon the snow on the roof will protect the poly from harmful UV rays anyway....:rolleyes::lol:

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
I'll bet you could put a pot belly wood burning stove {or propane} in there with some "B" vent chimney and work thru the whole winter. B vent only needs a 1" clearance. Heck then a fridge. Space might even fit my boat in there if you need something else to do.....

mr300z87

As you said on my thread pretty much a wash out her in nj this morning. No boat work today.

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Zool, I just finished your entire thread....took about 5 days, but well worth it!!! Great work so far, min if I tag along for the rest of it?