1988 Imperial 280sf engine swap and restoration (pics)

zool

Captain
You got about a week before the first snowfall, right? It's been getting mighty cool at night here. Gives you a little pep in your getalong.

Man I hope not, seems like its all happening early this year :eek:...if I can get the same greenhouse effect as last year, I should be able to glass into Dec....we'll see

zool

Captain
I'm voting for a nice warm winter, I had enough snow and ice last year!

You and me both brother, but its in the 50's at night here already, and its still summer ;(....if I had to bet........

But the shelter is taking shape, so if its coming, bring it on!...just not yet :D

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Update:
well I finally got the remaining glass in the midship area done, capped the 2nd stringer with 2 layers of eglass, and a few tabs of 17oz to tie in the bulkhead ends...I have to pick up a course die grinder bit for the limber holes, and sand down some nibs.

Just needs some epoxy paint, the brackets for the water tank, and a little plumbing, then this deck section goes back in.
Today we're gonna try to finish the walls on the shelter and get ready to set the ridge beam ;)

So that 1708 will lay down flat on a 90 degree angle/top of the stringers? Then I guess it's about really wetting it out, no bubbles? Neat! I'm definitely gonna try that out.
degrees under the bubble so hopefully yes there is another month for us to glass.

zool

Captain
So that 1708 will lay down flat on a 90 degree angle/top of the stringers? Then I guess it's about really wetting it out, no bubbles? Neat! I'm definitely gonna try that out.
degrees under the bubble so hopefully yes there is another month for us to glass.

The stringers are topped with 2 layers of 8.9oz e-glass, easy to wrap....the tabbing is 1700 biax, not 1708.....the 08 is the mat weight. ;)

wet out the top of the stringer, then work down each side..then hot coat the 2nd layer...

Bubble Power!

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
I'm so used to saying 1708, but yes I am now using the 1700, Thanks to Wog and yourself. You should get @ 10 more degrees + with the bubble cover. I'm hoping to glass as long as I can. Nov/Dec maybe. But the old Farmers Almanac is looking like another crappy cold winter. What are your thoughts about foaming under the deck? I'm still in a pickle on that concept.

zool

Captain
What are your thoughts about foaming under the deck? I'm still in a pickle on that concept.

If I had factory foam, I probably would have put it back in, but mine didn't, and is set up with redundant pumps and limber holes, so I put it back like that...it would take an awful lot of foam to float this pig...I mean rig :)....re-engineering with foam is not just adding it, its adding it in the right places, at the right amounts....

Im cool with a liferaft, epirb, and a stash in a ditch bag.....oh, and insurance :D

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
If I had factory foam, I probably would have put it back in, but mine didn't, and is set up with redundant pumps and limber holes, so I put it back like that...it would take an awful lot of foam to float this pig...I mean rig :)....re-engineering with foam is not just adding it, its adding it in the right places, at the right amounts....
Im cool with a liferaft, epirb, and a stash in a ditch bag.....oh, and insurance :D

Now that actually brought a major laugh to my face/mouth. Still laughing....I like the "stash" part too! :} I needed that laugh today thanks!

zool

Captain
Now that actually brought a major laugh to my face/mouth. Still laughing....I like the "stash" part too! :** I needed that laugh today thanks!

Well im glad then...And I wont be just twiddling my thumbs for days in a raft :rolleyes: :D

zool

Captain
Update:

The weather was perfect Saturday, so I got a chance to get some more done. I washed off any blush with water in the midship compartment, then wiped it with pettit 95 (had an old can laying around), then sanded it down lightly, vacuumed it up, then another wipe. Started applying some of the epoxy paint, starting on one end, and painting my way into a corner. So far no complaints at all with the garage floor epoxy, and less than half the cost of bilgekote.

theres one area left that I used to stand in, which ill have to do next. There was a time when I could monkey around to get it all done in one session, but apparently, that has faded with age ;)

zool

Captain
While I had the can open, I worked on the cleats for the water tank, that screws into the coffin box, and started cleaning the tank.

There was straps and neoprene strips to tie it down on the cleats, I don't remember if I saved them, if not, I have to source something out that wont corrode, like plastic or stainless pipe straps.

Last edited:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Nothing like a fresh new coat of paint ! Even if it is up under the deck ... ;)

Mikeopsycho

Senior Chief Petty Officer
That midship compartment is looking pretty spiffy! Flexibility is the first thing to go.....or...wait a minute....maybe it's the mind that's the first thing to go...I can't remember...

GWPSR

Stuff happened!

Looking good. I will need to keep the garage floor enamel in mind. I have a lot of interior to paint. Does it level well?

zool

Captain
Stuff happened!

Looking good. I will need to keep the garage floor enamel in mind. I have a lot of interior to paint. Does it level well?

It goes on thin, with 2 coats max...I just used a brush, and it didn't leave brush marks. Its NOT rated for vertical surfaces, but that's on concrete...ive had it vertical on the tank area all winter with no adhesion problems...it comes in a base to be tinted in any color, or white and a few grays off the shelf. This was the one part water based, it comes in a 2 part also....

http://www.behr.com/cma/Behr/Marketing/Products/product_sheets/900_PS_R411.pdf

Last edited:

zool

Captain
Nothing like a fresh new coat of paint ! Even if it is up under the deck ... ;)

yep, this area wasn't coated originally, but forward and back of this areas was either gel coated grey, or wood painted. coincidentally, this area was the ony section with rot, tho I don't think theres much benefit to painting it, cept for visibility, and a sense of closure for me :)

zool

Captain
That midship compartment is looking pretty spiffy! Flexibility is the first thing to go.....or...wait a minute....maybe it's the mind that's the first thing to go...I can't remember...

Thanks Mike, getting old does suck....but my mind is sharp enough to get me into trouble ;)

Sometimes it writes checks the body cant cash!

Last edited:

GWPSR

It goes on thin, with 2 coats max...I just used a brush, and it didn't leave brush marks. Its NOT rated for vertical surfaces, but that's on concrete...ive had it vertical on the tank area all winter with no adhesion problems...it comes in a base to be tinted in any color, or white and a few grays off the shelf. This was the one part water based, it comes in a 2 part also....

http://www.behr.com/cma/Behr/Marketing/Products/product_sheets/900_PS_R411.pdf

They say
For Tint Bases - Do Not Use Without The Addition of Tinting Colorants

That suggests that the white base can't be white without white dies being added. I suppose that makes sense in the paint world.