1988 Imperial 280sf engine swap and restoration (pics)

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Good to see you back zool! Hope the docs can get ya sorted out. Have you tried beer and boat building as a remedy?;) It usually does the trick for me...:D

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Good to see your back at it and I hope your condition isn't an allergy to fiberglass :lol: You don't want to be over in the tin hat section with us! :party:

zool

Captain
Good to see your back at it and I hope your condition isn't an allergy to fiberglass :lol: You don't want to be over in the tin hat section with us! :party:

hmmmm WM, I thought that over, and concluded that restoring a glass boat may require an Allergist, but hammering out a tinner most certainly requires a Psychiatrist! :eek: :D

and thanks from the rest of the gang, ill post up some new progress as it happens, and I gotta catch up on all ur threads ;)

zool

Captain
Good to see you back zool! Hope the docs can get ya sorted out. Have you tried beer and boat building as a remedy?;) It usually does the trick for me...:D

Ha NM, so far ive got the best relief from Dr Google and adult libations ;)..boat restoration is a promising catalyst!

zool

Captain
Glad your back at it Zool ! Hopefully the doctors can get ya fixed up ! The shelter sure fared much better this year than last ! :joyous:

Thanks Sam, looks like the semi permanent build was the way to go, I just got lured into the seductiveness of a cart full of "cheap" pvc tube and fittings for short money lol.....:facepalm:

I expect the plastic will be shot by end of summer tho....

Last edited:

25thmustang

Lieutenant Commander
Read this one again! Great to see the level of detail you are putting into it. I will keep an eye on the thread and am rooting for you getting it buttoned up and in the water as soon as possible!

Shanestan

Seaman Apprentice
CMDR Zool,
Request permission to come aboard! I hope my build turns out as nice as yours is shaping up!

brokenwrist

Seaman
sir zool, any new progress on the boat? I read through this entire thread yesterday, for two reasons, looking to see how other are doing their build, and to get inspiration to get my chrysler trihull tore down and fixed up, plus to get started on my parents 78 olympic.

zool

Captain
Jeez, I step away for a few years and all my pics are gone!......I just figured out how to get back on here, now i gotta go fight with FB ;)

​Hope everyone is well!

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Good to hear from you zool ! Yep pb hasn't made to many friends lately ...Hope all is well !!

zool

Captain
Hey Sam, yeah, just figured out the fb problem, guess ill have to figure out the local hosting thing...

All is well now here, hope youre bracing for a bit of a blow next week :(

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Zool nice to hear from you, looking forward to seeing what you have going on! Hope all is well!

tpenfield

Staff member
Nice to see you posting to your thread . . . The picture situation is a bummer for lots and lots of folks.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Well looky here what dat cat brought in! Great to see you up and at it. Did ya buy a new camera? {I hope}
images

Forum got pretty boring without you. All kidding aside GREAT hearing from you.
KFC

Mikeopsycho

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Hey zool, welcome back! I hope all is well. Looking forward to your project posts!

zool

Captain
Thanks Bobby, Ted, Mike, Kevin, Im getting back into action soon,as it appears the Admiral has given up on caging me away from my projects, especially since the doctors say im ok .Im actually supposed to be on vacation this week, we rented a bayfront house and arrived Saturday.....as soon as we went into the backyard, she gave me that "OH NO" look lol....under the rear deck was an old speed boat on a rusted trailer, with a big outboard hanging off the back...it took me about an hour of chatting with the homeowner, and he says "if you can get it out of here this week, you can have it!" ;)
So i spent the 1st day unhooking the outboard, squeezing it in the back of my SUV, and headed home alone yesterday to pick up my trailer....Im headed back down now to finish the week and bring it home...Ill try to take a few pics when i load it on the trailer, if i can get my crusty old camera to work.
It appears to be a 1972 Checkmate mx-15 with a chrysler 105...yes, im a glutton for punishment but i do like to multi task lol
See you guys soon.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
MBS strikes again ! :lol:
I love those old Checkmates ! :cool: Yep getting ready for this storm .. Supposed to come through Monday morning early .. :rain:

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Someone should do a fund raiser for MBS, to help find a cure... Oh wait, none of us want to be cured. Had another project follow me home too. Will be posting some on that soon...