Tbones Restoration of 1978 Bayliner Victoria Sundeck

Tboner7864

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Once upon a time in the year 1978 I was born, and also boat, by the name of Blue Grandma through time these two grew older. But destine to unite. 34 trips around the sun and they meet. Blue Grandma has been road hard and put away wet and was left abandoned when I found her. I pulled her out of the water and pulled her plug and she flowed. For now she is safe away from the abuse of past relationships and on her way to recovery. I will treat her with the respect she deserves, and one day she will shine and be loved and when she is born again she will have a new name.

NOT BLUE GRANDMA. What a terrible name. that will be the first change to the boat.

But not bad for $10 to the marina and $230 in back taxes and it came with a trailer for a total of $250. The motor and out drive are shot but 350 Chevy's are easy to find it has a volvo penta outdrive with two propellers

SSPX0001.jpg
SSPX0002.jpg
SSPX0004.jpg
SSPX0003.jpg

Last edited:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: Tbones Restoration of 1978 Bayliner Victoria Sundeck

Do you have a Budget in Mind???

GWPSR

Senior Chief Petty Officer

It's like deja vu all over again :) Can't wait to start following your journey.

"Blue Grandma" :facepalm: Too bad you couldn't flog the PO for that. It's not even punny. Just, well ... sad. :)

Somewhere on here Friscoboater Jay has a renaming ceremony in one of his his threads. (Sea Ray maybe?) It might be good karma to beg Odin for mercy on you and your vessel in exchange for casting that awful moniker into the depths.

Good luck!

Tboner7864

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Once I get it home and check it out like GWPSR I will put in what I feel comfortable when I feel comfortable and time is a luxury that i do have, I'm not in a hurry. I live in the mountains and have no restriction on what i park in my yard. I did look to see if there was a problem like GWPSR with the water heater and looked in that spot and no water heater at all.I did notice where the bilge is by the bathroom door the plywood down below separating sections was rotted. I had a good talk to my wife about it this morning and she realized that if want to fully restore the boat I may have to do exactly what GWPSR is doing. I showed her his project it took her a little bit but she is willing to let me do it. I am a total novice and may be on this forum everyday asking for help glad to have folks like you out there for encouragement and inspiration to do something I have little knowledge of. I hoping that GWPSR boat is basically the same as my boat. I could use his designs and get a good idea of cost. I have two boys one is 12 and the other is 2.5 i know a boat like this will be something that we all can really enjoy.

Tbone

I'm thinking a good handwash will do that old girl wonders. I look the look of that boat. That trailer needs some modifying though. With that long of a wheelbase, turns must be murder on the tires.

GWPSR

That trailer needs some modifying though. With that long of a wheelbase, turns must be murder on the tires.

Somebody 'borrowed' one of his axles. I kinda wish mine had a third axle.

Tboner7864

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Your are right blue wave have not done much driving with it but i did notice that I had to do a u turn and notice that one of the tires had trouble with the turn I think the trailer had three axles at on time I am going to get a good set of used trailer tires and replace those get the boat home and modify the trailer at a later day thanks for the heads up

Tbone

Hey GWPSR I probably will put the third axle in there one day definitely would make a big difference someone also borrowed the winch handle and a bunch of my lug nuts too!!!:laugh:

jmmacky

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Man that looks like a big project! Good luck Tboner. I will be following along!

Tboner7864

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well i'm heading out this weekend to start the clean out and will take picture of the inside. A friend of mine will be helping me get the boat home by mothers day I'm going to put the boat on blocks and bring the wheels home to find a nice used set of trailer tires. Since the tires on boat are just regular truck tires. I will keep you updated.

GWPSR

Good luck! The journey begins!

Tboner7864

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey GWPSR

Well what a journey it has been where do I start
SSPX0183.jpgSSPX0185.jpgSSPX0197.jpgSSPX0178.jpgSSPX0196.jpg

Here is a little eye candy. First off I took the wheels off to bring home and looked on the under carriage. Being on the coast the rust on this trailer has me a little worried to upload more pictures i have to do another post

GWPSR

Pic 1 - I must say, that is the first automotive bucket seat I've ever seen in a boat. :)
Pics 2 & 3 - Looks familiar.
Pic 4 - Closed cooling setup. Cool find. I'd love to have that.
Pic 5 - :facepalm:

Dig in!

Tboner7864

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Here are some pictures of the axles
SSPX0175.jpgSSPX0176.jpg

I will probably beef those up before I try to start towing

Next I took some pictures of the boat on the bunks could you take a look and see if I really need to add some height to the bunks

SSPX0195.jpgSSPX0199.jpgSSPX0198.jpg

Everything seems snug I really dont want to put the boat back in the water. the chines are sitting right on the fenders but it does not seem like any weight is on the fenders. Blue grandma is heavy. I have her up on two jack stand and a wood block in the front

Tboner7864

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It was a little sketchy taking the wheels off. I plan on trying to remove this beauty of a motor and that out-drive also

SSPX0179.jpgSSPX0177.jpg
They have a nice hoist at this marina. Here is more of the interior

SSPX0192.jpg
SSPX0186.jpgSSPX0191.jpg

GWPSR

It looks like if the bunks were just a tad thicker, it'd clear the fenders. Actually, with the sea creatures off the bottom it might clear the fenders :)

Yeah, that trailer could eventually use a little lipstick.

T748

Seaman

Wow! That outdrive picture is crazy! You defintly have a full project on your plate. This will be a great one to follow. Keep the pictures coming! -Tom.

Tboner7864

Petty Officer 2nd Class

How hard is it to disconnect the engine especially that is so rusty and the out drive from the engine.can you give me some tips I don't think any of this is salvageable

I have a really good saw all

So I brought home everything that I could remove from the boat Cushions (Still in pretty good shape,back mattresses) I found a shop vac I think the PO was using as a bilge. and a lot of WTFs I found that it has a full enclosed canopy but it is missing the frame. Definitely has potential but I think that I will be doing the same as GWPSR and starting over I see a lot of damage to the wood parts of the boat and the only way to fix this is to start over. My friend who was going to tow it. Has to go to Arizona for most of May ,family issues so I wont be able to bring it home until June but it gives me a time to remove as much weight as possible

This was the weather in Fort Bragg Ca over the weekend it was beautiful
SSPX0001.jpg
This was from the Golf Course in Little River Ca just south of Fort Bragg on highway 1 Saturday 20th of April around noon 2013 right after my wife practicing her golf game

Since we camped this past weekend

SSPX0173.jpgSSPX0164.jpg

Here we are in our tent enjoying our evening

Attachments

• SSPX0196.jpg
    SSPX0196.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 0
  • SSPX0179.jpg
    SSPX0179.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 0

GWPSR

The 290-DP outdrive is worth cleaning up and trying to refurb. Nice unit (potentially ...)

That engine is likely just a donor for some marinized parts for a longblock, but maybe you'll get lucky and it won't look bad internally. The closed cooling hopefully is a keeper.

If gold keeps dropping in price like it has, eventually rust will be more valuable, and you'll be RICH! :)

btw: The first mate is a cutie!

Tboner7864

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I couldn't forget my dog here is MarleySSPX0167.jpghe went camping with us too

Hey Tom you want more pictures here you goSSPX0194.jpgSSPX0190.jpgSSPX0174.jpgSSPX0181.jpg
Yeah I plan of about a five year project and a lot of learning

Tboner7864

Petty Officer 2nd Class

GWPSR you like that seat huh! no holes or rips but soaked through and through

I cant complain the price was right. Just need to get it home