Building bolster seats and restoring 89 imp elaganza 235

My name is Matt I'm new to the form. I'm am in the process of restoring an 89 imp elaganza 235. I havent seen anyone post much about these boats so here is a rebuild. I bought the boat at the end of last summer and it's ended up being more of a project than I thought it needed all the wood in seats and side panels replaced. I was looking for bolster seats and they were out of my budget so I'm building my own (which I have not seen anyone else do either) there is not much info so ill show every thing I do. The gelcoat on the boat also need to be buffed maby wet sanded also so ill cover that as well ill post pics as I can.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 0

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: Building bolster seats and restoring 89 imp elaganza 235

welcometoiBoats-1.jpg

Well, one things for sure...They will be heavy enough!!!!:joyous:

WelcomeAboard.jpg

welcometoiBoats-1.jpg

Well, one things for sure...They will be heavy enough!!!!:joyous:

WelcomeAboard.jpg

Yes they are solid but I don't want to have problems in a couple years. I will get more pics of everything I have built later today hopefully. Will also get some pics up after the vinyl is on everything also.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Matt, Boats are kinda like airplanes, you want em strong but you also want em to be as light as possible. When fabricating your seats, you want to use water proof materials and when using wood you want to encapsulated it in resin and glass to ensure water cannot penetrate. Using a lesser thickness of wood and layers of glass will give the strength required and significantly reduce the weight. I noticed in the pics you posted the bottle of Elmers yellow glue in the background. If that's the glue that was used to glue the seats together, it is not a waterproof glue and you would be much better served to use Titebond III glue for future glue ups. What Resin and Glass product are you planning for your restoration? Have you check the boat for soft spots in the deck? What kind of power does she have? Is the transom and stringer substructure all solid? Do you have pics of the entire craft? I live in Broken Arrow. Where exactly in Tulsa are you located? Where you planning on launching her?

Matt, Boats are kinda like airplanes, you want em strong but you also want em to be as light as possible. When fabricating your seats, you want to use water proof materials and when using wood you want to encapsulated it in resin and glass to ensure water cannot penetrate. Using a lesser thickness of wood and layers of glass will give the strength required and significantly reduce the weight. I noticed in the pics you posted the bottle of Elmers yellow glue in the background. If that's the glue that was used to glue the seats together, it is not a waterproof glue and you would be much better served to use Titebond III glue for future glue ups. What Resin and Glass product are you planning for your restoration? Have you check the boat for soft spots in the deck? What kind of power does she have? Is the transom and stringer substructure all solid? Do you have pics of the entire craft? I live in Broken Arrow. Where exactly in Tulsa are you located? Where you planning on launching her?

The transom stringers and deck all seem good I haven't drilled any holes int the stringers to check but from the outside look good the deck is fiberglass it's good. All my side pannels and seats I sealed with thompsons deck sealer also. It has a 454 bbc and bravo 1. I will try to get more pics up later my phone is only letting my upload 2 at a time for some reason. I actually live in owasso I will do all my testing at lake oolagah. And hoping to be at grand lake by the end of next month for memorial day.

image.jpg
Here is a pic of the boat. As you can see its going to need some buffing and maby a wet sand also.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Looks can be deceiving. She's 24 years old. I'd Highly recommend you do some core sampling to be sure. That 454 will put some big time torque on the motor mounts and transom. If you have any issues it could become a serious issue in a hurry. No offense but...Thompson's is not worth much in a marine environment. You need to use Epoxy or at the minimum a Marine varnish to coat your wood. Heck even oil based paint is better than Thompsons.

I'd highly recommend you concentrate on the mechanicals and the structural aspects first. The cosmetics can come later. If the structurals are bad you will have to tear out all the pretty cosmetics you are doing. Just my opinion.

Yea I agree with you as far as mechanics come first. My main reason for doing interior first was I knew if I didn't do it first I would not end up doing it before this summer. The original play was just going to be replace the wood underneath the original vinyl but all I ended up building those seats and decided to have it all recovered with new vinyl.

I also have the drive off the boat I'm having a gimbal ring/pin problem so I'm working on that end as well. Iv got a lot of work ahead of me lol

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

You really need to core sample the motor mounts and the transom to ensure they are sound before you put her all back together. That is Critical. Do you know anything about how the PO stored and maintained her prior to you purchasing her?

The guy I bought it from told me it was kept in a shop while he owned it but he only had it for 2-3 years so before that I really don't have any idea. When drilling holes where do I drill and what do I fill the holes back up with how big do I drill them?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

If the deck is solid I wouldn't go looking for trouble. I agree Thomson's is worthless. It's basically colored wax. Unfortunately, given that, you can't really top coat it with something better because it'll never adhere. For above-deck panels though, I wouldn't sweat it.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Why would you drill holes in an otherwise solid boat? I can see it if there are indications of trouble, but without any why?

aspeck

Staff member

I'll cast another vote for the "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" crowd. I hate holes in a boat. Now, if it is soft, or shows signs of rot, then have at it!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

If the deck has absolutely NO softspots and no evidence of discoloration around any of the hardware attachments in the motor mounts or outdrive attachments then I guess you might give it a chance but...She's 23 years old and a few 1/4" holes to give you pieces of mind to know that there was NO issues with the supersturcture of the boat. To me It would be worth it. I can fill the holes with some 3M 5200 and be none the worse for wear. To each his own.

If the deck is solid I wouldn't go looking for trouble. I agree Thomson's is worthless. It's basically colored wax. Unfortunately, given that, you can't really top coat it with something better because it'll never adhere. For above-deck panels though, I wouldn't sweat it.

Yea the thompsons was kinda an after thought I saw it sittin on the shelf and thought what the hell can't hurt anything.

The deck in the cockpit is made of fiberglass and is fine. The board that runs port to starboard just infront of the engine does have some soft spots in it. Mabey I should drill some holes and get down there and do a little mor inspecting.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg
Here are some pics of the interior after getting it back still waiting on my aluminum seat bases I'm having made for the bolster seats. I'm not going to put any of it in until we get closer to lake time.