Need help choosing a steering system (newbie) 1957 Nylox

motor boater

Petty Officer 1st Class
I purchased this 1957 Nylox fiberglass boat from a guy just a couple of months ago and have been trying to make it look decent, not necessarily a showroom boat, but just better than what it looked like when I got it. I've already done the paint and body work so far, which was interesting, seeing as though I've never worked with paint, bondo, epoxy resin or even tools... lol.

but now I have decided I am going to replace the steering wheel and system because I don't want to keep the old vintage look. I know lots of people will disagree with this but this is what I've decided. My question is, what kind of steering system should I put in? I want to have a small black steering wheel, instead of the huge white metal one that's on there now. and I'm replacing it also because the cable is exposed near the transom area and the wheel is pretty hard to turn. I've heard people say to re grease it, but I believe this cable is beyond that point. I'm not sure about the metal part behind the wheel (I think its called a rack and pinion), don't know if its salvageable or if I should just replace that too. I don't mind because at least new is better IMO.

But I'm not sure if I need to go with another rack and pinion steering system, or if I can put something like this in there
12 Foot Rotech Rotary Steering System w Free Wheel Helm Bezel Cable UFlex Marine | eBay

Theres not that much room on the dash because its a short dash, so I think I need to stick to the rack and pinion system, but I don't know.. any ideas on what kind of system I can/should go with? It's going to be steering a 1981 40hp Mercury outboard with electric start if that makes a difference. The rack and pinion system that were on the boat before I removed it, steered a 1966 18hp Evenrude. here are a couple of pics.

any help and knowledge about these systems would be greatly appreciated. and I cant wait to post photos of my 1st restoration like project. Thanks in advance for any help.

IMG_2796_zps2f23ffeb.jpg

IMG_2779_zps5d9e621f.jpg

IMG_2778_zps36c932ff.jpg

IMG_2759_zpsebcf15dd.jpg

Last edited:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: Need help choosing a steering system (newbie) 1957 Nylox

Either system would work. You will probably find yours would free up considerably if you removed the cable from the tilt tube on the motor (easier said than done sometimes), clean and relube both and reassemble, this is the area that usually tightens up first due to the level of exposure to the elements, remove and relube the rack and basically anything else you can access, if the cable itself is tight and won't move its time to fork out for another. Dont forget to relube the grease points (Zerks) on the motors swivel bracket and tilt tube as well.

BTW I think the CLASSIC Wheel Looks AWESOME and I wouldn't change her for the World!!!!!
;):D

motor boater

Petty Officer 1st Class

hmm ok, but which one of these systems have you experienced boaters have had the best experience with? What are some pros and cons, and is the rack and pinion an outdated mechanical technology? Is there something out there that may better suit my need/want that I may not know about? I see alot of teleflex products also. Is there any brands I should beware of?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Your dash isn't very tall and might not work with a rotary helm. Racks are still made and it's more or less a personal choice. Here's a source for racks and they also sell rotaries. Teleflex SS141 Kits

BTW - I would keep the wheel. It has class. You have an old boat and you won't be able to make it look like a modern one, so unless you have $$$ to throw away why try. Spend the money to make a nice old boat - With class.

motor boater

Petty Officer 1st Class

so I should stick with the rack and pinion I see. now I see some of these don't already come with a wheel. how do I search for a wheel for this type of system? just type in rack and pinion steering wheel??? and how do I know if I purchase one of those systems that it will connect to my mercury? are they not brand specific?

motor boater

Petty Officer 1st Class

another thing, I see that it says on the description for these systems, that its "recommended for boats with power steering" will that make a difference?? I don't have any type of hydraulic steering... not sure if that makes sense cause I don't really know what im talking about. but I will be the power source of my steering. sooooo, does this matter? or should I find a system that says for boats without power steering? sorry, I am so new to this its ridiculous, I feel like :facepalm:

GA_Boater

Steering is universal for outboards, with very, very few exceptions. Which rack is for power steering? The one I looked at said "TELEFLEX SS14112 RACK STEERING KIT 12 FOOT DIRECT REPLACEMENT FOR OLDER RACK STEERING SYSTEMS"

Does you Merc have a tilt tube and steering arm? What I see at the stern looks the cable is fixed to the transom and was connected directly to the swivel.

motor boater

Petty Officer 1st Class

this is what the previous system looked like at the transom, with the old evinrude which I am not going to be using. I don't believe there is a tilt tube. but again i'm not to too sure what that even is, other than some pictures ive looked at on google.

2013-02-27161102_zpsdd72dcb7.jpg

and this is what my transom area looks like now on the starboard side where I would be feeding my new steering cable through. (spoiler pic of recent project I've been working on)

2013-03-27152543_zps32ea1855.jpg

motor boater

Petty Officer 1st Class

so I don't think theres a tilt tube. but even if there was. I there isn't any more. I just want a brand new system. but want something that's going to fit, all I really have is the fiberglass right now. I've removed everything else. so I have room to install a new system. but the dash is not tall at all. as you can see

2013-03-24095723_zps343c154e.jpg

GA_Boater

Do you have a pic of the clamp of the Merc 40? A few more parts might be needed. A pic will help.

You don't have room for a rotary helm without a bit of work. Stick with the rack. Virtually any 3/4" tapered shaft wheel will fit.

motor boater

Petty Officer 1st Class

Which rack is for power steering? The one I looked at said "TELEFLEX SS14112 RACK STEERING KIT 12 FOOT DIRECT REPLACEMENT FOR OLDER RACK STEERING SYSTEMS"

Oh... when I looked at the picture of the package/box that it comes in. it says it right on the box, in the lower right corner area.

motor boater

Petty Officer 1st Class

2013-03-26144741_zps18724b19.jpg

let me know if you need a different angle

GA_Boater

You have a tilt tube and steering arm. The arrow is the steering arm and swung around 180 degrees. The square is the tilt tube and the cable feeds into the starboard side and is connected to the arm. Read the instructions at the helm site on how to measure. You want to be just right. Too long is almost as bad as too short.

motor boater

Petty Officer 1st Class

I believe I measured correctly but I will check and re check again before ordering. I think I need the 12ft cable, so if that was the case is this all I would need? TELEFLEX SS14112 RACK STEERING KIT 12 FOOT

plus a steering wheel of course.

and GA_Boater, THANK YOU SOOOO much. I've been reading and reading and reading and I'm still not certain of myself, that's why I decided I would ask the pros on this forum.

motor boater

Petty Officer 1st Class

lol, now that I realize what a tilt tube is and the steering arm, and looking back at your questions and my replies, I feel soooo stupid :facepalm: thanks for the help. will post pics of the project once completed. and for those wondering I am keeping the steering wheel just in case I ever decide to sell it and the buyer may want the old parts. but I myself am not putting them on. sorry, and also, I meant to say CLASSIC not old :D

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

Hope you get the steering wheel worked out and can,t wait to see your refurbished pics ! Put the old steering up for sale someone out there is looking for one .. Been looking for an original for mine for over a year now !
Good luck ! SP..

GA_Boater

TW, MB. I'm not a pro, just I guy like you with a little more tinkering time. Hit us up if you have more questions.

motor boater

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thank you, very much. Will do

motor boater

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok, so I measured the old rack and pinion cable and it was 9ft (just the sleeve). But when I measured points A,B,C and then add 30 inches and round up I end up with 14ft. Here are my measurements.
A. 17"
B. 93"
C. 25"
= 135"
+ 30"
= 165
165/12" = 13.75
Rounded up is 14ft. Am I doing this right?
And if so, why is my old rack cable only 9 ft? Remember. Im about to place an order for a brand spankin new rack and pinion steering system with wheel

motor boater

Petty Officer 1st Class

okay so I just finished installing my new steering system. I have not mounted the motor yet & I do not have the steering wheel yet either, I'm waiting to order that this Friday. But right now when I try to turn the helm by the shaft without the steering wheel it doesn't turn, even when I pulled on the arm of the cable it doesn't move out or in any reason why this is happening? Its a no feedback steering system, its # ss15112