16ft Fiberglass floor build

allmuckmojo

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 16ft fiberglass semiv type skiff that i want to make a center console. I plan on putting 2 stringers, each 6-7" off center. Plan on laying floor, rear bench build, fiberglass and I would like to FOAM the outer compartments under the floor and in the front and rear seat. Any advice/comments/suggestions would be appreciated since this will be my first attempt at this. So far I have cut out all old benches and removed foam to check for leaks... there were no leaks so now i am cleaning it up for sanding to prep for stringers and glass.

Question: Does the floor need to be sanded smooth for applying fiberglass directly to old coat on the boat? Should I just rough/scratch it up with some steel wool for adhesion?

I am on a budget.

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.JPG

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: 16ft Fiberglass floor build

The Glass has to be ground down to Fresh Pink glass in order for the new glass to adhere properly. Check the first link in my signature below for some helpful info on what you are about to undertake.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Question: Does the floor need to be sanded smooth for applying fiberglass directly to old coat on the boat? Should I just rough/scratch it up with some steel wool for adhesion?

I am on a budget.

View attachment 187108View attachment 187104View attachment 187111View attachment 187106

You need a grinder and use 36 grit or coarser discs to prep the surface, the old glass will laugh at steel wool. You may put foam anywhere you like, its all up to you.

allmuckmojo

Seaman Apprentice

The Glass has to be ground down to Fresh Pink glass in order for the new glass to adhere properly. Check the first link in my signature below for some helpful info on what you are about to undertake.

Thanks for the links, would Fresh Pink class be what I see under the benches I cut out???

seaman campbell

Chief Petty Officer

The glass seen in pic #4 of the first post is the glass you are looking for.

allmuckmojo

Seaman Apprentice

Awesome thanks, so I've been reading those links provided and did some more searching on the forums and it seems i didnt fully understand what i was getting myself into at first! Too late now, gotta move forward, need to be ready by June 1!!! Some of these threads I saw what looks to be like a homemade wood clamp that goes from the top of the sidehull to the other side. Is there a reason for this? My plan right now, grind down to pink where I plan to fiberglass, is there a reason to grind down everything!?

mwe-maxxowner

Master Chief Petty Officer

It needs to be grinder to nice clean glass anywhere you want to do any glassing or gel coating. Otherwise the new glass won't hold. It MUST be ground and cleaned WELL with acetone. The clamps you see are for holding the hull shape when the cap is removed. The boat is composed of two sections, the hull below the rub rail, and the cap above it. Sometimes it is necessary during a restoration to.remove the cap, in which case the hull sides go floppy. It needs to be braced up and cradled to hold its shape if the stringers or cap are removed.

allmuckmojo

Seaman Apprentice

So is it safe to assume, since there was no prior stringers or cap, i do not need to do this to brace the sides.

mwe-maxxowner

Master Chief Petty Officer

If you aren't removing any structural support, no no additional bracing would be needed.

I bet the benches provided some strength, though.