Starcraft Super Sport 1984 Evinrude 88

Rich976usaf

Seaman
Hi I'm so happy to be posting my latest project. I'm in the process of getting myself a boat for the summer. I put a deposit on it yesterday. It's a 16 foot Starcraft super sport 1984 with a Evinrude 88 horsepower outboard. The floor the seat in the front are partially replaced and needing to be finished. the 1 problem holding up this project is going to be the boat paperwork. The guy I am getting it from in New York believe he can register in Vermont then I would transfer the registration to New York into my name. Don't know how this will work been reading up a little bit and it sounds good because the boat is earlier than 1987 so there is no title.I'm a big fan of Starcraft growing up my dad had a 1965 14 foot runabout, that boat had a 40 horsepower Evinrude lark 4.
already planning on fixing this boat off and making it into a gem. This boat was last registration stickers in 2005. But the owner says he had it out this past year and the engine was mothballed and dryer sheets. I told him the sale was the pendant on it running good in the water.I will primarily use this boat in Saratoga Lake, very nice body of water in the Adirondacks of New York State.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: Starcraft Super Sport 1984 Evinrude 88

Sounds like a great rig. It'll haul butt with that motor. I've got a 90 on my 18' and I can just touch 40MPH.

Rich976usaf

Seaman

Thanks Ez. Should be a good project. I spent a lot of time reading your restoration thread the other night. Alot of good advice there.

How much does my boat, trailer and engine weight?

Rich976usaf

Seaman

The reason I why I'm wondering the weight is cause I'm putting a hitch on my gf nissan rogue which is rated to tow 1000lbs.

briangcc

Commander

Nice area up there. I think that was the lake I was on a couple years back - didn't catch anything though. Probably should have broken out the high explosives :cool:

Question: Why is this guy going through all these hoops? I bet if you look at the registration he has in NY for the boat, it says TRANSFERABLE on it. If it does, just have him sign the back for you and you're good to register it in NY.

**Reason I'm saying this is that the 16' 1956 MFG in my sig line had that on the registration.

BonairII

Commander

Make sure of the paperwork BEFORE all money is paid. Once you pay...the seller won't be motivated to get everything straightened out.

SigSaurP229

Commander

Rich congrats on a great boat. Here is a little info on the weight for you.
The Hull bone dry weighs by itself 650 lbs the engine weighs about 290 lbs. Your trailer will be at least another 300 lbs. Then when you add gas gear battery for the day I would want to be rated to tow at least 2000 lbs. I don't know what the tow capacity on the rogue is but it seems like a midsize Suv/Crossover should handle it with the right hitch Uhaul will install the right hitch for less than $200. Check your owners manual and see, the links below should provide you with the proper weight info.

Engine: 1987 Evinrude 88 HP (E88MSLCU SPL)
Boat: 1984 Starcraft Marine SS160

P.S. It is now MANDATORY you post pictures of said boat and go introduce yourself in the Starcraft forum (otherwise the zombies will come out to play).

BonairII

Commander

Pics are mandatory! Further delays on posting pics could cause your Starmada membership application to be "wait listed".

:lol:

Rich976usaf

Seaman

Hi. I'm having some trouble posting the pics. My pics are on my phone and I can't get them to upload to this forum and I couldn't get tapatalk app to load this forum. Any help out with posting pics from a android phone.

Rich976usaf

Seaman

20130326_180006_zpsee09187c.jpg

SigSaurP229

Commander

Good looking boat Rich congrats.

I did a little looking from everything I see the max tow capacity on the Rogue is 1k lbs unless it has the tow package. With the tow package it bumps to 1500 lbs. If your hitch is factory installed and you have a bigger tranny cooler on the front you may have the tow package which would put you ok at 1500lbs. I would imagine that the weak link here would be the CVT so I would imagine you would definetly want a tranny cooler.

Otherwise you may consider an old beater truck or seeing about having the tow package installed.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

That hull looks great!

Rich976usaf

Seaman

this is a great forum to be on. From what I understand my trailer in package weighs 12 to 1300 pounds. The Nissan Rogue is rated for 1000 pounds with a CVT transmission. This can be the biggest issue and I don't want to destroy the GF car slash SUV. My plan is to possibly dry dock the boat near the lake within 5 miles or possibly have a boat slip on the lake. That was quoted to me for 1000 dollars. Who knows. Lol the trailer hitch arrive today ordered it yesterday off of ebay what ship to Indiana to New York in like 26 hours fast shipping. From what I understand the guy doesn't have papers for the boat quite yet but has mailed off bill of sale and other papers to Vermont which will give him a transferable registration which I can register in New York.

Rich976usaf

Seaman

I can't wait to get my hands on this boat and refinish the upholstery and builds into the boat some seats in the back, thinking about doing a rear bench seat combo sun deck that I had read about in a thread here and making it into a covetable sun deck .

dozerII

Admiral

Great looking SS Rich. From the last picture it runs and the tell tale is shooting a stream. It seems to be awful low in the water on the stern, with water in the splash well?

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

From the last pic, my thoughts were "That boat is SINKING!!!"

The tell-tale looks pretty weak too.

Not trying to bad mouth your boat, but you may want to check below deck for saturated foam. That may be the reason the boat is sitting low in the water...and putting a new water pump/impeller is always a good idea when taking possesion of a new/used motor.

BonairII

Commander

Great pics.

Welcome to the religion of...........Aluminati ! :lol: