clarify the $100 boat paint job please!

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander
Re: clarify the $100 boat paint job please!

I thought my boat came out pretty good. I rolled and rolled it, talking about our 12' Sea Scamp. Under a hundo and looked really good (not perfect just really good). My 14' Sea Nymph will be the same, Rust and rolled on.

The Jett looks pretty dang good to me. I don't know about everyone but I will speak for me; I fish and I fish hard from my boats. They get rode hard and put up wet. When a bang the trailer loading or unloading them, I touch em up every spring, with Rust cause it's cheap like me. Then I fish.

My Moomba will get a professional paint job. My Chris Craft will get 20 coats of the best Spar Varnish available. (IF I ever get one, prolly not cause I'm broke, but I can dream).

bscappell

Petty Officer 2nd Class

any word on the removal of the decals? seems to me a read recently that there is a better way than using a heat gun? cant remember where i saw that...

what about the stripe of red down the side? can it be done? or should i go with a vinyl wrap type? (not sure how much $ that would cost)

and priming wise will show me defects yes? highs and lows? so prime until i address those spots?

Last edited:

jerkoz

Petty Officer 2nd Class

heat gun with a flexable narrow putty knife.i measured the old decal,made a print of it and painted over the finish coat.decals too much $$$ for a fishing boat.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I'm NOT a metal guy so can't help you much on that other than possibly using JB Weld, but I'm not sure. everything I've read here on the forum says for Decals on a metal boat Prolly heat and a plastic putty knife or maybe a decal eraser in a drill.

a great paint job is 90% prep and its expensive because it takes time to do. If you can borrow a air compressor dont be scared to use a low pressure spray gun as its faster and easier than rolling the surface (real hard to lean over fresh paint and not touch the surface...you are painting it unside down i presume). clean good then equalise the surface (sand the whole thing gentle with the same grit paper as a change in texture under the paint is easy to spot)

a stick on stripe is easier and if scratched can be replaced it depends on how wide you want the stripe to how that should be approached with spray paint.

bscappell

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm NOT a metal guy so can't help you much on that other than possibly using JB Weld, but I'm not sure. everything I've read here on the forum says for Decals on a metal boat Prolly heat and a plastic putty knife or maybe a decal eraser in a drill.

Bingo!! eraser!!!! thats what it was

bscappell

Petty Officer 2nd Class

a great paint job is 90% prep and its expensive because it takes time to do. If you can borrow a air compressor dont be scared to use a low pressure spray gun as its faster and easier than rolling the surface (real hard to lean over fresh paint and not touch the surface...you are painting it unside down i presume). clean good then equalise the surface (sand the whole thing gentle with the same grit paper as a change in texture under the paint is easy to spot)

a stick on stripe is easier and if scratched can be replaced it depends on how wide you want the stripe to how that should be approached with spray paint.

good tip. i am sure i could borrow an air compressor and there happens to be a harbor freight down the street.....dangerous i know!!

bscappell

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Rustoleum's Pro Oil based Alkyd enamel works just as well. Finish 1 Hardener will work for the Hardener. Get it at Advanced Auto. Not all of their stores carry it. You can use their reducer too, or you can use a 50/50 mix of MS and Acetone. Roll n' Roll or Spray...Your Choice. I Sprayed. Candy Apple Red is a special mixed paint and cannot be acheived using Rustoleum. You don't need Clear coat. The Hardener will make the paint very shiny. Make SURE to let the Paint COOK for 30 mins after adding the hardener. Use a 3M pad to knock down the nubs between coats of primer and paint. Or Wet sand with 320 grit. I just use pints of different colors of paint to mix other colors now. 2 coats of Primer = 1 1/2 quarts 3-4 coats of paint = 2 quarts of paint. 1 Can of spray on SE primer Don't need much and only a light coat on bare spots. Since you are going over a pre-painted boat you might want to consider using a high build primer to help fill in scratches etc...

couple of things: no advanced auto parts in Wa either. any other ideas for a local source Hardener (looks like the one pictured is the fast hardener correct?)

for primers Rust-oleum has 4 options. all a little different as far as MSDS goes:

RustOleum.com

RustOleum.com

RustOleum.com

RustOleum.com

IDK if i can find all these locally and ace has their rust stop primer as well. i assume that is similar to the last link? i am pretty sure one of the last 2 is what i want.

bscappell

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Ok, I just Talked to Kenney at the Oreilly store in Wenatchee on Mission street. He said the Wesco Paint store next to Walmart Sold Acrylic Enamel Paint Hardener. You might check with them.

bscappell

Petty Officer 2nd Class

wow! thanks so much my friend! way to go out of your way.

bscappell

Petty Officer 2nd Class

woodonglass what is your thoughts on the red stripe? thinking 3-4 inch thick.

and how about dry time between coats? let it sit for X hours then sand then clean, then next coat.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

If your stripe it you will need to use the 3M Fine Line Tape. It's about $15 buck a roll. If you don't the paint will bleed under the tape and NOT look good. You would paint the Base color first and let it cure for at least a month and then do the stripe. For between coats, 4 hours is about right IF the temps are 70? or higher. Below that... 6-8 hrs. The hardener and the reducer will make it dry faster but it still needs to CURE. There's a difference between Drying and Curing.

bscappell

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If your stripe it you will need to use the 3M Fine Line Tape. It's about $15 buck a roll. If you don't the paint will bleed under the tape and NOT look good. You would paint the Base color first and let it cure for at least a month and then do the stripe. For between coats, 4 hours is about right IF the temps are 70? or higher. Below that... 6-8 hrs. The hardener and the reducer will make it dry faster but it still needs to CURE. There's a difference between Drying and Curing.

so could i do the base coat this year then the stripe next year or after the fishing season? wash it and prime again?

thank you oh wise one for your knowledge!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Sure can. And I'm OLD for sure the WISE part...Hmmm you better ask my Wife about that!!!:rolleyes:

bscappell

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sure can. And I'm OLD for sure the WISE part...Hmmm you better ask my Wife about that!!!:rolleyes:

hey i said OH not Old!!!

so my above thought about wash, sand, prime and paint would be good for the stripe? any thought about the thickness issue?

brnschoneck

Petty Officer 1st Class

i would say use pin striping for a stripe ..anyone know what other brands hardener i can use my local advanced doesnt carry finish 1 ...can i just use majics hardener ,3m, ????? im using this method to paint my trailer soon ????
ok i got it srry basically any acrylic enamel hardener ???? how about the bondo hardner they have it at advanced my me ne one use it ???

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

so could i do the base coat this year then the stripe next year or after the fishing season? wash it and prime again?

thank you oh wise one for your knowledge!

I dont see any reason why you would need to prime for the stripe if its the same paint system. Just prep it and paint it.

YD.