Fixing Boat Cover Snap holes.

kdmiller8251

Chief Petty Officer
ok, have a question for all you experienced do it yourselfers. My boat has snaps which screw into the fiberglass all the way around the cockpit. Some of the holes are pretty well thrashed and the snaps all need to be replaced. What is the best way to fill in the holes? I plan on filling them and then redrilling holes in exact same spots for the new snaps? I have used marine-tex in other areas but am not sure if I should use it on this. Anythoughts would be great.<br /><br />Tallman

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Fixing Boat Cover Snap holes.

Hey Kelvin,<br />I make my own Epoxy Putty, sort of like Marine-tex..... The Thicker the Better........ I've never had a patch go bad yet.... If you can access the back side, Make Sure you have a nice little "Mushroom", to sort of Lock it in place......<br />If you're Just fixing the holes,+ Not repainting at the same time......<br />You can Always just "Glue" the snapbases right into the "Wet" epoxy......<br />I'm Sure you'd Rip the side of the boat off, before the snaps pull out........

kdmiller8251

Chief Petty Officer

Bill:<br /><br />Yeah I cant get to the backsides, and will not be painting just fixin some of the holes where the screws enlarged them too big.<br /><br />So whats your recipe for the "SECRET EPOXY" LOL??

D

DJ

tallman8251,<br /><br />I suggest MarineTex. It is as tough as nails. With a little finesse, you can get a plug of it behind the surface, with a string.

Bondo

Staff member

"So whats your recipe for the "SECRET EPOXY" <br />Nothing Special.....<br />Epoxy.... Cabosil powder.. <br />Maybe some Microballons for a fairing mix....<br />Chopped Glass if it's a Really Big Hole.......<br />For Glueing in snaps, I'd skip the microballons....<br /><br />In your case, I'd just get Marine-Tex... <br />It's Already Mixed for you....

BillP

Captain

I'd use the homemade stuff...handy, cheaper and works just like MarineTex.<br /><br />Tape over the hole from the outside and drill through it to fill. Then pull the tape. This will leave it nice.

kdmiller8251

Chief Petty Officer

THanks for the help fellas..<br />I really appreciate the input.<br /><br />T

tambone

Recruit

The screw in studs that have pulled out come with a # 10 screw base as well you can purchase them online. If the hole is bigger than a #10 screw you can use a small plastic anchor, like you put in drywall. Use the size that is a tiny bit bigger than the hole so it has to be tapped in and is snug. Then put the normal screw in stud back into the hole. Then you can also put epoxy in to the hole and let dry.

From the custom cover lady