Aluminum Boat Revit repair

crowsfoot

Cadet
Hi Folks, I have been reading all the past post relating to this very topic, and I have some questions I hope you could help me with.

I just recently purchased 14' WD Misty River boat. Told by the previous owner there are some small leaks.. So I have decided to attempt the repairs myself. Most post I have read, recommend the 3/16 Diameter and the 1/4 grip closed blind rivets. Is this a standard rivet for boat repair? Will it fit my application? If not, how do I decide what size to purchase?

When drilling out the old rivet, Should I do it from inside the hull out? or outside in? People have also said to add a flat washer. Should the washer be outside the the hull or inside the hull.

Any CANDIANS here know where I can purchase these rivets with out have to buy 1500, or paying double for shipping.. It would be best if located in Ontario..

Thanks in advance for any tips/advice.

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Aluminum Boat Revit repair

I drill from the head in. I have used a small drill of about 1/16 or a little bigger to center the hole in the offending rivet. Then drill with a 3/16 or 1/4" to match the new rivet.

For riveting:
option A;
Use closed end pop rivets for below deck. This way you don't need to tear up the deck to rivet. You will need a rivet gun for this. Harbor Freight makes a pneumatic riveter that works well.

Option B;
Solid rivets and an air chisel/rivet gun.

For buying;
McMaster Carr? That's were I got my closed end pop rivets. I don't know what shipping is. I'll meet you in the middle of the St. Clair or Detroit Rivers, and hand you a bunch of rivets while we're walleye fishing. We'd probably get arrested by Homeland security though. lol

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander

Let's talk drills for a second. I use short screw machine length drills. Get them with a 135 degree split point on them. They self center (more or less) and you can center them fairly easy.

Don

Jeep Man

Commander

Welcome Crowsfoot. What area of Ontario are you in? I would check at a Fastenal or Bolts Plus outlet. They have several locations. Also look into Gluvit, a great sealer for aluminum boats.I found a supplier near Windsor for it. There's probably others.

crowsfoot

Cadet

Hey guys, thanks for the replys..

Hey Jeep man, I contacted Fastenal and they told me Mid May before they would have them in stock. Brofasco told me I had to order 1500:eek: I did find a place locally that sell the rivets at a fair price, shipped to my door the next day.. Just waiting for a little bit warmer weather, Find the little leaks and get er done.

iron1951

Cadet

Crowsfoot, I bought my rivits from Fastenal, the closed blind rivit type. I bought a variety, part numbers 0126362, 0126358, 0126357. I used a #10 drill for the 3/16 rivits and a #F for the 1/4 rivits. I only used the 1/4 inch rivits if the hole was too sloppy for the 3/16. Because I definately wanted a tight fit, I tried to use the proper "grip range" Sometimes you are going through support ribs too.

I also used a LePage's two-part marine epoxy that I bought from my local Rona. I put some in the hole before I placed the rivit and some on the rivit before I put it in the hole to help seal the rivit.

One of the problems I had was that the rivit would spin when I tried to drill it. If it spins it leaks because it is loose. So I bought this special tool from Aircraft Tool Supply in the States p/n 1341A (Aircraft Tool Supply | RIVET REMOVAL TOOL | 1341A). This tool was great because it grabbed the rivit with teeth that dig in while you drill and keep the rivit from spinning.

I replaced at least a dozen rivits in my newly aquired Starcraft with this system and it worked quite well. After a season, the epoxy shows no sign of wear. By the way I live in Welland. Are you nearby?

64osby

Admiral

How loose are the rivets and how leaky is the boat?

The rivet may be able to be re bucked to tighten them up. Gluvit or Coat it does a great job sealing rivets and seams.