Little Arkansas Traveler, Wood gunwale rails?

64osby

Admiral
Going to look at this tomorrow.

3Kc3L43Ne5L65I35F4d3c6208db5b8ab215db.jpg

Pretty sure it's a 50's Arkansas Traveler.

Familiar with Tinny's and how to clean them up, seal hull and replace the transom.

The big question I have is about the wood supporting the gunwale. From what I can gather researching the web there are 3 - 1/2" bands, 1 outside and 2 inside to give structure.

What wood would be good to use to replace it? Is there an inexpensive wood that could work?

What other products might also work? Aluminum or ?

I know some will say teak, this one was done with white oak.
file.php

Looking for budget minded ideas. Thanks

64osby

Admiral
Re: Little Arkansas Traveler, Wood gunwale rails?

Would Aluminum rub rail trim provide enough support?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Redwood (Kinda soft) or Mahogany ( a bit pricey but you don't need that much) would be good candidates. You could do the seats and bumps for $100 bucks or less. White oak would be good to. Heck you could even use Southern Yellow Pine. They all are used in the wooden boat industry.

64osby

Admiral

Thanks WG - I might have some southern yellow pine laying around.

I might have some douglas fir too. Would that be any good?

Both are old bleacher wood, some NOS, some used.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Yep Doug Fir is good too! Lot's of resin. If you apply some Boiled Linseed oil mixed with 50% Mineral Spirits to the wood to it 2-3 coats. let it dry for a day then stain it with oil based stain again thin the first coat 50% and then two coats full strength. and then 2-3 coats of Marine Varnish she'll shine like a New Penney!!!! When I was a young man I worked at a Marina and did a lot of wood restoring on the older boats that had Mahogany seats and rails like that. The old codger I worked for taught me a lot about sealing the wood and making it shine. The BLO has a lot of solids in it and really seals the pores of the wood but still allows the stain to penetrate.

kfa4303

Banned

Congrats on the new toy. It's shiny! Good to have another AT owner around to. I was gonna suggest oak trim too, simply because it bends easily and is fairly inexpensive, but teak would be nice. Here's a bit of info on AT's to hold you over (looks like you may have a '55ish).

Arkansas traveler - Classic Boat Library

jbcurt00

Staff member

Ash is often used as well.

64osby

Admiral

Don't jump the gun I'm going to look at it tomorrow. Just getting info and ideas to see how this could be fixed up.