Reconditioning teak wood.

cecho

Petty Officer 1st Class
Would it be okay to use a power washer on the teak wood, let it dry, than put teak wood oil on it?

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral
Re: Reconditioning teak wood.

Would it be okay to use a power washer on the teak wood, let it dry, than put teak wood oil on it?

I guess if your Very Careful you could pressure wash it. I personally would not use a pressure washer.

Teak is a Pulpish wood and you could very well blow out some of the softer pulp if your not careful. Car washes dont normally have the Pressure to do this but Some do.

I like to get the dead fluff off of teak with sand paper. a cruizin with 36-40 grit followed up with 80 grit works well ( with the grain of course ).

No matter if you use the pressure washer I would still cruiz over it with some 80 grit. Sometimes it goes quickly depending on the oil % . Just the heat generated with hand sanding will lift the natural oils to the surface.

Yep, but I'd recommend wiping it down with Acetone After it dries and then applying the the oil.
This is a good Read on caring for Teak...
BoatUS - BoatTech - Teak Care by Don Casey

I would NOT recommend using acetone in this case. Yes if you want to Varnish it .. but why would anyone want to evaporate the Natural teak oil just to put some teak oil back in it.

OH .. one other thing about using teak oil .. Please Please put your application rags in a metal trash bucket with a lid. Hopefully outside of the home :) .. They can make fire !

YD.

DeepBlue2010

Lieutenant

OH .. one other thing about using teak oil .. Please Please put your application rags in a metal trash bucket with a lid. Hopefully outside of the home :) .. They can make fire !

YD.

YD, Your recommendation here ? unless I am misunderstanding it ? seems to go against the common wisdom of treating oil saturated rags used to apply oil or oil-based wood stains. The recommended practice to avoid piling them together in a confined space (such as trash cans) and expose them to as much open air as possible to avoid generating enough internal heat that may lead to combustion. I mist my wood stain rags with water and hang them individually in open air. Your advice to put them in a trash can with a lid seems to have more likelihood of igniting them. What I am missing?!

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

YD, Your recommendation here – unless I am misunderstanding it – seems to go against the common wisdom of treating oil saturated rags used to apply oil or oil-based wood stains. The recommended practice to avoid piling them together in a confined space (such as trash cans) and expose them to as much open air as possible to avoid generating enough internal heat that may lead to combustion. I mist my wood stain rags with water and hang them individually in open air. Your advice to put them in a trash can with a lid seems to have more likelihood of igniting them. What I am missing?!

Thank you for the correction. I should have stated a small Metal Trash can with a lid. Not just any ol plastic trash can.

While I know its not OSHA approved its better than just throwing them in a pile somewhere. Is kinda like a regular fire safety can. I know its not the exact same thing .. but even if it does catch fire it will not be on fire for very long.

Yes wetting them and hanging is a good idea.

It was basically a suggestion for the OP to be aware of the combustion dangers.

YD.