HELLPP!!!! FIBERGLASS WEARING/FLOOR FLEXES high traffic area 14 ft bayliner

Lukelona

Chief Petty Officer
I have a 86 bayliner 1400 the floor is wore down to the plywood in the two high traffic areas.
about 2-3 ft section in two main spots of floor.
also i noticed if i step up & down it isnt "soft" really but does have some "give/flex" to it.

is this a sign of rot in/under floor and possibly stringers?
OR could it be because its wet wood now and just not as strong without the fiberglass on top?

whats the easiest way to fix this, if it needs 'fixed'...but id imagine the wood shoud ideally stay sealed.
im on a low budget and dont know to much about working fiberglass except for automotive applications.

any insight is greayly appreciated

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: HELLPP!!!! FIBERGLASS WEARING/FLOOR FLEXES high traffic area 14 ft bayliner

Do a thorough inspection of the entire deck looking for other areas of wear and or "Soft Spots". If none are found, then I'd suspect you could prolly let the wood dry with some heat and fans and then apply some Polyester resin and 2-3 layers of 1.5 oz of CSM (Chopped Strand Mat) and then 2 -3 coats of Rustoleum Oil Based paint and she would be good for few more seasons. Post some pics of it so we can see what you see.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Your boat is dying from neglect. Your wet plywood is starting to rot and that's why the deck isn't solid anymore. Your deck won't dry out because the insides of your boat under the deck are wet too and will just keep wicking moisture into your decking. If you try to seal your decking with anything it's just going to trap the moisture below the decking and will accelerate the rot process.

Let me guess, your low budget doesn't include very much money to fix your boat... but plenty of money to fill it up with gas and run it around on the water any time you want?

Dry dock your boat and spend the money you'd use in gasoline to repair it.

tpenfield

Staff member

I replied to your other thread . . . but the old saying of "where there is smoke . . . . there is fire" Best to look in to it.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

tpenfield has made a good point. You have made a couple of threads on the same topic which makes it difficult for the members to keep track of what you are doing and goes against forum guidelines. As I stated the Deck does not necessarily indicate that you have issues below, but it can. If the boat has been sitting outside uncovered then the deck can be damaged before the substructure below is affected. Not knowing the history of the boat it is difficult to make a diagnosis. If you want to me certain you will need to cut some exploratory holes in the deck to take core samples of the stringers and bulkeads to determine their condition. If they are wet they will need to be replaced. If there is foam below the deck, and if it is water saturated, it will need to be removed and replaced as well. Safety First!!!!! Costs is Secondary. If you can't afford to do the repairs then unfortunately you prolly can't afford to own a boat. Boating IS a luxury hobby! At least that's what my wife keeps telling me!!!!:D