stringer questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Texasthb

Cadet
How did you get to the stringers under the bow without cutting away the plastic looking floor that connects to the front bench seats?

charles1961

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Texasthb: it wasn't easy. i just didn't want to take the cap off the boat, being it was the first time taking on this sort of a job. i just cleared away all the old stuff ( rotted wood except about a foot that was still good sanded and grinded the old fiberglass on my back with one hand and managed to shape a new stringer for each side and fiberglass and bed the stringer in there .

Last edited:

charles1961

Petty Officer 3rd Class
is photobucket the only way to upload my progress pictures ???? it was only a little while ago that i was able to do it from my picture folder from my digital camera

Tnstratofam

Commander
Photobucket is the most reliable way, but not the only. I'm not sure what's not working with the uploader that the forum has. I've always used photobucket so I'm not much help sorry.

charles1961

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Well I am back with news and hopefully some pics.:joyous: well i haven't figured it out yet on the photo issue yet ( uploading ). i have the flooring down ,motor and transom and drive in. floor fiberglassed and some electrical done.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Lots of changes on the forum recently. I'd HIGHLY recommend you use photobucket for uploading your pics. Copy and paste the IMG Code into your iBoats post.

howlnmad

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The stringers and deck look good. I have a couple questions about the transom pics in post #11. Did you strip it all the way to the hull and remove the entire core? If so, what did you replace it with? What did you use over the core? What's the entire thickness of your transom? I ask because I'm not seeing any tabbing. Sorry to be late to the party.

charles1961

Petty Officer 3rd Class
howlnmad ,thanks n the compliments, I am trying with alot of help from the forum here. The transom at that point was my beginning point before I found all the rest of the flooring and stringer problems.This was before I tabbed it. I tabbed it with 2 layers of 1708 and a layer or 2 of chopped strand , can't think of the number. I did strip it all the way t the hull. I found out what was suppose to be my thickness which I believe was 1 1/2, not exactly sure ( a while since i did it ). if so i used 3 1/2 pieces of pressure treated plywood. each piece i fiber glassed,sanded and fiber glassed again, and screwed them together in areas that would not interfere with mounting parts later .then i either attached it with 5200 by 3M or fiber glassed it. then i tabbed it to boat.and i used 5200 around some of the outer spots where there may have some water at times. i hope this helps. any ?'s, i will see if i can help

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral
Lookin good Charles. Where da motor mounts ? I dont think I saw them in the stringer building phase.

charles1961

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Your right Yacht Dr. , I don't have any . I put that in last after the engine box .I was having problems loading pics on here so i had stopped taking pics. i should be taking more pics now that it is working for me.I will make sure I get some of those in there to.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral
Well you had me scratching my head there man lol. I was thinking you pre-fabbed them..bolted them up to the mounts..and was gonna align the engine and mark where they were..unmount and glass them in. As you can see..some of us glass dudes are forward thinkers :cool:

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral
Oh hey..I Just did that same motor mount on the same model Larson lol. That little mount was crushed right through the fiberglass. Still worked strangely enough. You would wonder why it rotted when the bottom of the wood stack was not glassed. :eek:

Did you glass the bottom and leave the drain channel in there..or did you take it all the way down to the hull?

OH oh..also..did you put those same baby 2 1/2" lags back in there..or did you upgrade to longer ones?

Well good anyways.

charles1961

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I ripped it all out of there down to bare fiber glass and built up a fiber glass ledge ( sill ) for the mount to embed into. and a channel in the middle. built the mount outside the boat , fibeglassed glued and screwed together . used longer upgraded lag screws and 3M 5200 in the holes to seal . heard that was a reason why the mount use to rot out.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral
. heard that was a reason why the mount use to rot out.

Im sure it contributed..but when I dug this melted pulp out I noticed the bottom side was not glassed or coated. Just a stack of motor mount ply sittin the bilge all naked and exposed. Good job man.

charles1961

Petty Officer 3rd Class
yes i forgot to say that was the same situation i had with the motor mount, mine also was a bunch of pulp. oh a previous answer to a question you ask before, yes i did fiberglass all the way around and the bottem of the motor mount and tabbed it to the stringers and the bulk and the hull on the front corners of the mount. i will gelcoat the rest of the floor when i get done with the wiring and other things so i won't get it all dirty or scuffed up.

Status
Not open for further replies.