stringer questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

charles1961

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I am not sure what is the size on stringer thickness on a 1990 larson bowrider 17 footer I/O mine were so rotted that i am not sure. any other pointers in putting new ones in would also help. thanks

tpenfield

Staff member
Re: stringer questions

1/2" or 3/4" are pretty typical for stringer material. For flat(er) bottom boats the material is often doubled up as the depth of the stringer is not too great. With the V-hulls there is usually enough depth to have good strength.

Post some pics when you can.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

I am not sure what is the size on stringer thickness on a 1990 larson bowrider 17 footer I/O mine were so rotted that i am not sure. any other pointers in putting new ones in would also help. thanks

What was the inside measurements between the glass lams ?

Kinda doubt it was 1/2".

Larson Boats 320-632-5481 fax 320-632-1439 tf 800-452-4834

Hope it helps.

YD.

charles1961

Petty Officer 3rd Class

1/2" or 3/4" are pretty typical for stringer material. For flat(er) bottom boats the material is often doubled up as the depth of the stringer is not too great. With the V-hulls there is usually enough depth to have good strength.

Post some pics when you can.

I will put some pics up as soon as i can. i have a 17ft. bowrider . i could tell that the floor was previously taken up ,because the flooring was not fiberglassed on the underside and they used wooden shims to wedge between the flooring and the stringers to give it some sort of support. I have just redid the transom completely and just replaced the sterndrive and bell and was fixing to replace the front motormount area that was rotted . took that out and then i noticed more wood and then the stringers rotted all the way to the front. i have spent my resources for now . so i would like to button it up and use it this year and the redo it all then in the fal/ winter. you have any suggestions to keep it okay until then ?

charles1961

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Not sure of the term " glass lams " if you are referring to the stringers , i would say 20 to 22 inches apart.just wide enough for the width of the gas tank. the supports running between the stringers seem to be about 30 inches. i only have a piece of the floor out now from the engine mount to the ski locker or just past the gas tank.and 20 to 22 inches wide.hope this helps .

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I will put some pics up as soon as i can. i have a 17ft. bowrider . i could tell that the floor was previously taken up ,because the flooring was not fiberglassed on the underside and they used wooden shims to wedge between the flooring and the stringers to give it some sort of support. I have just redid the transom completely and just replaced the sterndrive and bell and was fixing to replace the front motormount area that was rotted . took that out and then i noticed more wood and then the stringers rotted all the way to the front. i have spent my resources for now . so i would like to button it up and use it this year and the redo it all then in the fal/ winter. you have any suggestions to keep it okay until then ?

Sooooo... Let me understand... You KNOW your stringers and motor mounts and bulkheads are Totally rotten and you want to "Button Her Up" and Use her this season????????? How do you propose to use a boat with rotten stringers and motor mounts??:confused:

charles1961

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Sorry about that. i just might let it sit then until i can do the work ( money). i redid the transom from scratch . thats all new. i bought a sterndrive for it. i am building the the motor mount as we speak. i was just basically asking about the buttoning up becauseof all the styrofoam and decking over it and the fact that i would be easy with it , would it be ok ? I am asking could it be ok ? are there any temporary options . i am new to owning a boat and can't afford to have someone else fix it. so i fix everything myself . thanks for any experience or info.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

No it would Not be ok to run a boat with wet foam and rotten stringers. Totally unsafe. Post some pics so we can see what you're working with

tpenfield

Staff member

Sorry about that. i just might let it sit then until i can do the work ( money). i redid the transom from scratch . thats all new. i bought a sterndrive for it. i am building the the motor mount as we speak. i was just basically asking about the buttoning up becauseof all the styrofoam and decking over it and the fact that i would be easy with it , would it be ok ? I am asking could it be ok ? are there any temporary options . i am new to owning a boat and can't afford to have someone else fix it. so i fix everything myself . thanks for any experience or info.

Usually it is easier and less expensive to do the stringers at the same time you are doing the transom and/or engine mounts. No real temporary options, sorry to say. When did you do the transom?

Money can be a problem with boats, because even the 'cheap' ones are expensive.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Usually it is easier and less expensive to do the stringers at the same time you are doing the transom and/or engine mounts. No real temporary options, sorry to say. When did you do the transom?

Money can be a problem with boats, because even the 'cheap' ones are expensive.

Its also Faster in most cases to do it right then to just do a Temp fix.

I agree.. wait until you can finish her.

YD.

charles1961

Petty Officer 3rd Class

last week and was now in the process was now fiberglassing and shaping the front motormount in my garage when i found all this. i think i will just get stuff little by little and start working on this. i will have to ask questions on type of fiberglass resin and types of cloth for the stages involved.type of wood for the stringers etc.

mwe-maxxowner

Master Chief Petty Officer

There is a very helpful, knowledgeable group here to help you rebuild your boat, and do it right! It may mean spending this summer off the water, but I'm sure if you do it all while you're at it you'll be glad you did. It'll be easier in the long run, and will give you peace of mind. You can fund supplies a little along the way. You can pretend you're making a boat payment each month about four times! :D
I bought my supplies in four installments of 3-400$. There is lots of work to do to keep you busy between supply installments. Look at some of the stickies at tbe top of the forum for some good ideas what you're up against!

charles1961

Petty Officer 3rd Class

There is a very helpful, knowledgeable group here to help you rebuild your boat, and do it right! It may mean spending this summer off the water, but I'm sure if you do it all while you're at it you'll be glad you did. It'll be easier in the long run, and will give you peace of mind. You can fund supplies a little along the way. You can pretend you're making a boat payment each month about four times! :D
I bought my supplies in four installments of 3-400$. There is lots of work to do to keep you busy between supply installments. Look at some of the stickies at tbe top of the forum for some good ideas what you're up against!

so it seems like they used plywood for stringers. is this good or is there better approach to this ?. resins for the job , i have a boatyard resin. is this what i would want to use or is there different resin for different parts of the job . of course this is when i am ready for it , which won't be for awhile. thanks for any insight

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Na .. your cool using plywood for your stringers.

As far as resin .. well I like to use Laminating resin for everything ( So I dont have to buy and keep 2 different kinds of resin ).

Boatyard resin sounds like a GP ( gerneral porpose ) resin. Its ok for fillers and such .. but I find the lam resin better for glass. Its not as thick for the most part .. helping in the wet out of the fiberglass.

Good luck

YD.

charles1961

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Na .. your cool using plywood for your stringers.

As far as resin .. well I like to use Laminating resin for everything ( So I dont have to buy and keep 2 different kinds of resin ).

Boatyard resin sounds like a GP ( gerneral porpose ) resin. Its ok for fillers and such .. but I find the lam resin better for glass. Its not as thick for the most part .. helping in the wet out of the fiberglass.

Good luck

YD.

for the plywood stringers and to the bottem of the boat also ?

Status
Not open for further replies.