12ft starcraft aluminum boat question reguarding repair already made

xoibsurferx

Cadet
Hello everyone!,

This is my first post. I'm looking at purchasing a 12ft starcraft aluminum v hull boat. I do not know the exact specs of the boat since I haven't looked at it super closely but I do know its an older boat and the owner has passed away and his son is the one selling it.

The (keel) I believe has some sort of hard sealant on it. It looks blueish/clearish in color but more blue almost like a hard resin of some sort. Its not on the whole bottom just towards the bow more. Should I be concerned? The transom has been rebuilt recently and all the rest of the boat seems to be in good condition. The owner is know to take care of his things and his son has been on the boat with him and said it didn't ever leak or anything when his dad had it.

Should I be concerned?

1973Chieftain

Lieutenant
Re: 12ft starcraft aluminum boat question reguarding repair already made

Welcome aboard! I would not be concerned about it, many small aluminum boats have been resealed at some point in their life.

xoibsurferx

Cadet

Thanks for the reply! That's what I was hoping. It has a mystery motor on it. It says its a sportwin 9.9 but can't find anything but 9.5 sportwins.

Thanks again for the information!

64osby

Admiral

It sounds like years of grinding up on shore has worn a hole or gash in the keel. I have a boat that has that too. I haven't fixed mine but it's on the list this year.

Hard to tell what product might be on it. If it is very hard and the repair looks good I would not worry much. It shouldn't leak even if it hadn't been repaired, mine doesn't. Your best bet would be to take it to the water and drop it in for a leak test.

If you decide to get it you may look to put a keel guard or a piece of aluminum angle over the patch.

Make sure they did not use treated wood for the transom repair. Sealed marine grade or outdoor rated ply are the best products for the transom.

Good luck and :welcome: to iboats.

There are lots of Tinny's here, great information if you ask and we love pictures (especially of Starcraft's)