1970 fiberglass skiff restoration

Triangleboater

Petty Officer 1st Class
good day fellow Iboaters, so I have begun my project head first. Well really whole body first. WOW!
So what I have. A handlaid 1970 fiberglass 15ft skiff with rotten stringers, and deck. Transome is solid. Funny thing is I have no idea who the manufacter is. The title say manufacter...Jon. Maybe as I post more pics some people can help me out.

So story is I bought this from a friend to help him out with rent. I knew exactly what I was gettering into so no big shocker. I basically bought the engine and had to bring along the boat with it. Used it for two summers as is and have had a blast. I am tired of have soft deck, and figure this winter is a perfect time to tackle the beast and hey, I love a good project!

You can see from the picture, I have already started tearing out the deck, consule, stringers and casting deck. Boy, there must have been 800lbs of water weight in this thing! I have grinded most of the lips left in it with flapper wheels, 36grit to 60 grit. Tell ya what, fiberglass dust is some nasty stuff. Make sure to wear a mask, gloves, some heavy clothing (painting suit is the best), and googles. I also got to sanding a lot of the interior for new paint, but had a friend come over to help flip it as I am doing a lot of work by myself and need to do things that make sense when I have the help.

Thats the point I am at now. The interior still needs more grinding (the stinger tabbing and casting deck) and lots of sanding. But the boat is belly up as we speak and ready for some fiberglass repair, a ton of sanding and paint. Not going with gel coat as the stuff is just too hard to deal with and I honestly don't have the budget. I also plan to put some tape down over the keel for protection while I beach it which we do all the time at the lake.

So now time to get some suggestions.

One is some good paint for this thing. What do you all recommend? I am looking for a light yellow for the hull and white for the interior. The interior needs to be something I can add some non slip for the floor. I was looking at awlgrip or bluewater. And for a freshwater boat that might see salt twice a year and that never stays in the water for more than a weekend, does topside paint make sense? Also how many coats will suffice? So I want to put the disclaimer of I don't need top of the line most expensive. I am on a serious budget, but will also spend to make the project worth it. The paint doesn't need to last a lifetime. Just a few + years.

Second question. I am looking to put a fiberglass stip and 8inches wide right down the center of the keel. What type should I use. Does a woven cloth work? Keep in mind I will be useing poly resin.

Alright, wish me look and I thank yall in advance for all the suggestions!!!!! and be honest, nothing will hurt my feelings.
Oh yeah, i know right off people will say take that thing to the dump. Not a option :)

First picture is boat in progress and second is on the lake last summer. Best before picture I have....lol

Attachments

• boat.jpg
    boat.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 0
  • boat 2.jpg
    boat 2.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 0

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1970 fiberglass skiff restoration

Welcome to iBoats!

Check the link in my signature on how to do the Stringers, Deck and Transom. How do you KNOW the transom is good? Have you core sampled it? They make Keel Guards for boats but they are pricey. Laying extra Glass will help but beaching will "Sand" the paint off in a hurry. The last link in my signature has some good info on Painting your boat. IMHO you'll need to remove the Left Over deck all the way to the sides of the hull. 1.5 oz CSM and 1708 Biaxial Cloth will be your materials and abut 15 gals of resin. what size motor will she have?

WelcomeAboard.jpg

Triangleboater

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yup, have already taken the deck glass all the way to the hull. I have watched every single video of Friscojarrett and watched them again. I will defintely look at your info. All I can get the better. What do you think about benjamin moore m22 enamal as a cheap alternitive topside? I have been reading up on it and people are getting good results.

I don't mind a little paint rub off on the keel when beaching. Just want it to be tough.

A 30 hp rude will be pushing it. I have sampled the transom and have done a ton of knocking around. I have also taken the drain plug off to inspect.

Let me know what you think.... I will be posting photos as I go.
Thanks!!!

Triangleboater

Petty Officer 1st Class

With your paint techinque, I would be rolling. I am a little confused on the adding color. I would love a pale yellow.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I'd paint it with Rustoleum or Valspar Tractor paint from Tractor Supply.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Does that mean you drilled into the transom from the inside to inspect the shavings? Don't know about the BM paint. I know the Majic or the Rustoleum with the Hardener works well, but I know of NO paint that's "Tough" enuf to stand up very well to beaching. A Keel Guard would be your best bet.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I'd paint it with Rustoleum or Valspar Tractor paint from Tractor Supply.
Tractor Supply does not sell Valspar any longer. They switched to Majic Products.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

With your paint techinque, I would be rolling. I am a little confused on the adding color. I would love a pale yellow.
To get a Pale yellow Start with a cup of Whte and then add Tablespoons of Yellow to it until you reach your desired shade of Pale Yellow.

Triangleboater

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sounds like a plan to me. I will update.
Yes I have drilled in. Also the drain plug was the only place that was through hull/transom. It is dry as can be.

Woodonglass.
May have paint questions as I go. So which tractor supply store would you reccommend near Raleigh NC???

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

This appears to be the closest to you.

Tractor Supply Company

1201 Mammoth Drive
Knightdale, NC 27545

(919) 266-5628

tractorsupply.com

Triangleboater

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ouch Kinghtdale, well west marine is over that way too :) ok so paint check.

So I figure...
10 gallons of poly resin
15 yards of 1708
25 yarks of 1.5 CSM
gallon of acetone
gloves
rollers
lose chopped strand
1lb of cabosil
respiratator
4 sheets, 3/4inch 4x8 ext grade ply
2 gallons of pourable foam
Paint supplies via woodonglass's meathod

Sounds like a plan?
missing anything?

ok I will add some pictures of the hull on the next nice day...should be Thursday. But for several layers of paint? What would be the best way to sand the hull to prep for paint. As of now I have an orbital palm sander, regular palm sander, and a belt sander.
What yall think?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

You'll prolly need another 5 gals of resin, also need 4 lbs of Cabosil and a couple more gallons of Acetone.

Triangleboater

Petty Officer 1st Class

ok so ammend that,

4lbs of cabosil
15 gallons of resin . My boat only has three stingers and two bulkheads...15fter, at least that's what it had from the factory (or shed)
3 gallons of acetone

How much loose chopped strand??

Also attached are the boat flipped and pics of the multiple layers of 43 year old paint. Could anyone chime in on sanding with my supplies or what I would need to get?

Thanks!!! ya'll are the bomb. Wouldn't be doing this without this forum.
IMG_0242.jpg
IMG_0243.jpg
IMG_0244.jpg

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander

Just gonna tag along,...

Looks like a fun little build,...

Triangleboater

Petty Officer 1st Class

Its a fun ol' boat. One of the free varitety :) (i bought it for the trailer and engine) and I am a total newbie, sooooo should make it even more fun :)

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

1 lb of CSF shold be enuf. You only use about 1/4 cup of it per Quart of resin when making PB. You can make your own from scraps of CSM

Triangleboater

Petty Officer 1st Class

Any advice on the sanding, stripping of old paint?
Thanks in advance!!!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I used my R/O sander and 40 grit discs. Make sure and wear a respirator. You Could try using this...
9ddd4cc0-5127-45cc-9b69-967f292291f6_300.jpg
but its really not necessary unless you just don't want to sand. It does take a while to get her all sanded down but to me it's better than using the chemical. I used about 20 discs to get my 15' hull sanded. If you use an old tennis shoe to Grind the discs it will clean em pretty good and make em last longer.

Triangleboater

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sanding it is! Do I need to get all the old paint off? Or just the rough peeling nasty stuff?

a1964rn

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you have access to a pressure washer, you might be able get a some of that peeling paint off with that.