Need some advice for coating of a base for a double boat seat

vetting

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Im in the process of rebuilding the base of a double boat seat. It was a fold out seat, but I decided to make it a fixed seat. I am going to put a locking hatch on once side and then leave the back side open to throw gear in. Its made out of 3/4" acx plywood. The entire boat deck is all sealed fiberglass and I wash down the deck frequently. Just wondering was the best coating would be for the new base. Just paint it? Epoxy and then paint? The base is mostly out of the rain, but the back side does get a bit wet during driving rain.

boatseatbase.jpg

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: Need some advice for coating of a base for a double boat seat

Welcome to iBoats!

2 coats of epoxy and 2-3 coats for Rustoleum Professional Oil Based Paint. It'll last for decades.

vetting

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the help and quick response - this site is awesome for great advise.

Had a question about the hatch. Can you just buy a normal cam hatch and then just put a locking cam in it to replace the normal cam? Would like to be fairly secure since it will have over $2000 worth of spoons, flashers, flies, and a fish locator.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

I like to sand epoxy with 120 grit between coats and before applying paint or adhesive, just enough to knock the shine off of the epoxy and give the next coat of whatever something to grip. I've found the 120 grit doesn't clog up like the 180 or 150.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Yep that's the paint. You can even add Hardener to it and it will wear like epoxy.

Tractor Supply carries Majic paint that's almost identical to Rustoleum. They also sell the reducer and hardener. Price is basically the same.

Tractor, Truck, & Implement - Majic Paints