Any one know a link about how to paint a fiber glass hull

undecided69

Seaman
I have a 16foot gypsy star fiber glass hull i would like to paint this summer since i have oxydation on the paint showing i try to use a few different products to take the problem away but no luck. I have no knowlege about painting or gel coat all i know is i will have lots of sanding to do any info would be appreciate thanks.

QC

Supreme Mariner
Re: Any one know a link about paint a fiebre glas?s hull

I moved this over to Boat Restoration. The experts on this tpye of question are over here. Good luck!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Welcome to the iBoats Drydock. Pics will help us to help you. I doubt that your glass boat is painted. Prolly oxidized gel coat. What have you done so far to bring back the shine? How old is she? Color?

undecided69

Seaman
Re: Any one know a link about how paint a fiber glass hull

Re: Any one know a link about how paint a fiber glass hull

shes a 1977 n is still has factory colors with they are cream color with maroon water line ive try using different types of wax i also used i product call wipe new it work great but it only lasted about 4 fishing trips after that the chalk look started to come back.i will take a closer picture tomorrow of the boat boat.jpg

undecided69

Seaman
Re: Any one know a link about paint a fiber glass hull

shes a 1977 still has factory colors is almost like a cream color with a maroon water line ive used different brands of wax since i got her 4 years ago n last year i bought a product call wipe new it worked great for about a month n then the chalky look started to come back slowly... i got new carpet new seats n cushion for the bow i would like to take care of the chalky look before i replace the thing i mention. i will take closer pics of the paint tomorrow since is freezing out today. thanksboat.jpg

StevenT

Petty Officer 1st Class

Have you considered a marine rubbing compound and polish?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: Any one know a link about how to paint a fiber glass hull

yeah, she's gelcoat and not paint. Get some 3M Gelcoat Restorer and Polish. Follow the directions and I'm betting you'll get the results you're looking for.

undecided69

Seaman

i will definatly try 3m gelcoat restorer n polish it seings like alot of people likes that stuff on here.. n yes ive try marine rubbing compound it only works for a few hours after being in the water.

undecided69

Seaman

will i need a high speed buffer for the 3m product?

undecided69

Seaman

the other day i noticed the clear coating is stating to chip at some places nothing big tiny spots what should i do about that?? guys this page have a really good community of people want to thank you all n iboats for all your help n fast responses.

undecided69

Seaman

i think i would rather used a buffer lol

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

the other day i noticed the clear coating is stating to chip at some places nothing big tiny spots what should i do about that?? guys this page have a really good community of people want to thank you all n iboats for all your help n fast responses.

There shouldn't be any clear coat on it. It is possible to have a layer of clear gel coat, but it would only be over any metal flake finish, and from the pic I can't tell if the darker color on the side is metal flake.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Based on what I'm seeing, a few hours with the VS Buffer and the 3M Polish and she should be looking like a new one.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Yea !! what woody said !

YD.

undecided69

Seaman

thanks guys i hope the weather breaks soon so i can make her shine again