1984 Starcraft 16ft with 50 hp Suzuki restoration

Big P

Cadet
This is my first Thread on the iboat forum.
I have just bought a 1984 Starcraft 16ft boat at a very good price.
So far I know the floor has to be replaced, was left uncovered for a period of time, 2009 was the last registration date.
The owner told me it needed a coil and so far I've seen it needs a starter switch also. It turns over if you put the battery direct to the starter.
The seats I think are savable, sort of rough but not torn
The trailer will need to be up graded, but in good shape.
The hull is in very good shape, it doesn't show signs of abuse.
Right now, I have removed what flooring was remaining, the foam is in good condition I think it looks ok, I've covered it trying to let it dry out. I was going to buy treated 3/4 plywood but learned here on this forum that treated wood and aluminum doesn't mix so I need a suggestion here. I will also glue boat carpet on top of of the plywood.
At the same time I am looking at the engine, it looks fairly simple, I haven't tested the coils yet to see which is bad.
? does other coils interchange with each other? Working with motorcycles sometime parts will interchange.
I would really like to hear it run before getting to deep into this project. If it only needs regular stuff done like carb clean, coils etc. I'll be ok but if it gets pretty expensive it'll get tough.
Anyway that's where I am so far, as I progress I'll keep you posted!

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1984 Starcraft 16ft with 50 hp Suzuki restoration

Post some pics of your boat so we can see what you have to work with... and we just like to look at boat pics!

Use exterior grade plywood, exterior grade is made with waterproof glue. ABX or BCX will be your best bets, you can get BCX at Home Depot.

You will need to seal your plywood, carpet won't seal your plywood. Epoxy resin is the best sealer.

You will need to remove your wet foam, it will never dry out. It may feel dry on top, but will still be saturated lower. Wet foam adds a lot of weight to a boat and slows it down, wet foam also doesn't float... so it's useless.

You should check your transom wood, it may be rotten as well... and since you're already going to have the boat taken apart it'll be easier to replace it.

You can ask your motor questions in the suzuki motor forum for better and quicker answers.

64osby

Admiral

You might check to see if your starter solenoid is bad before you buy a new switch.

Welcome to the site an good luck on the project.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Welcome to iboats dry dock, tin division, BigP!

STARCRAFT16SS

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hello Big P...great place to start...you got the Starmada drooling for the pics...:fish2::thumb::welcome:

Attachments

• 2009 09 16 GARRETT AND JEFF FISHING G RESIZED.JPG
    2009 09 16 GARRETT AND JEFF FISHING G RESIZED.JPG
    80.5 KB · Views: 1
  • 2011 08 20 MY BOAT AT NIGHT A RESIZED 800X600.jpg
    2011 08 20 MY BOAT AT NIGHT A RESIZED 800X600.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 1
  • 2012 06 17 FATHERS DAY JEFFS BOAT A RESIZED.jpg
    2012 06 17 FATHERS DAY JEFFS BOAT A RESIZED.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 1
  • 2012 06 17 FATHERS DAY JEFFS BOAT M RESIZED.jpg
    2012 06 17 FATHERS DAY JEFFS BOAT M RESIZED.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 1
  • 2012 06 17 FATHERS DAY JEFFS BOAT S RESIZED.jpg
    2012 06 17 FATHERS DAY JEFFS BOAT S RESIZED.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 1

Big P

Cadet

Well, a good day today, I was testing as many fused and connections as I could before starting shopping for parts. I was checking two fuse holders by the engine. When you open them the fuses look good but I pulled them out of their holder and one of the fuses end was broken off, so I checked the rest of them and tried to start and turn over! I was thinking the starter solenoid was bad, so I checked the firing to see if the coils were ok, they didn't fire, not just one but both didn't fire. I thought that both not firing meant I had ignition switch problem well long story short I hooked the gas to it and was playing around with the controls still didn't fire, my brother came over and was helping me and was talking about sometimes the lanyard plug gave problems, I pushed the lanyard plug in and engine STARTED! I will put muffs on it tomorrow and let it run for a while and see what its all about! Everything is looking pretty good so far, maybe the floor will be the biggest part of the project. I've started chipping up the foam trying to get all of that up.
Question: I went to lowes today, the pink styrofoam someone was talking about I couldn't find they only had the blue, is that ok?
More later....

jbcurt00

Staff member

Pink/Blue similar foams ;)

Might get a 2 thicknesses.... 1" & 2" +/- depending on where you're putting it & how much room there is.....

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Question: I went to lowes today, the pink styrofoam someone was talking about I couldn't find they only had the blue, is that ok?

I just finished my basement and the stuff I used from Lowe's was their brand and it was green. Doesn't matter, as long as it EXTRUDED polystyrene (NOT EXPANDED), you're good.

64osby

Admiral

Blue, pink and now Green :eek: Oh No :faint2:

Big P

Cadet

Pictures will be next!

Triangleboater

Petty Officer 1st Class

Big P, if you ever need help with anything, let me know. I have a good amount of engine experience, and now in process of a complete boat restoration. I have a couple years of fooling around with things and the best part is I live 30-40 mins from you.

Make sure you always run water with that engine. Even just a minute of running it with burn up the impelar. Not to mention it needs water to cool it. I always do a complete tune up of any new engine. Water pump, lower unit lower switch and carb rebuild. Just a safe bet.

Big P

Cadet

Big P, if you ever need help with anything, let me know. I have a good amount of engine experience, and now in process of a complete boat restoration. I have a couple years of fooling around with things and the best part is I live 30-40 mins from you.

Make sure you always run water with that engine. Even just a minute of running it with burn up the impelar. Not to mention it needs water to cool it. I always do a complete tune up of any new engine. Water pump, lower unit lower switch and carb rebuild. Just a safe bet.

Man this is great, you live in durham that's far from me at all.
I used to work at AW North Carolina, for a while so I know Durham pretty good.
Question: When I out water to the engine and run it what do I look for as far as what condition the impellar may be in.
I'll be hitting you questions alot!
Good talking to you!

64osby

Admiral

Not familiar with Suzuki motors, but most modern motors have "pee hole" that is piped to the cooling channels of the motor. When the motor is running there should be a visible pee steam coming off the back side of the lower cowl. This tells you that water is circulating through the motor and the water pump is working.

Triangleboater

Petty Officer 1st Class

Honestly, a new to you engine. Go ahead and change the lower unit oil and water pump. I would also check a repair manual for it. When you change the lower unit oil. If it's milky, water has gotten in and you need to replace all the seals.
Good luck!

Big P

Cadet

Honestly, a new to you engine. Go ahead and change the lower unit oil and water pump. I would also check a repair manual for it. When you change the lower unit oil. If it's milky, water has gotten in and you need to replace all the seals.
Good luck!

You're absolutely right!
And thanks!
I hooked water to it this weekend and the only water I saw was coming out of the exhaust. So I will be changing the impeller, the oil, and installing a rebuild kit for the carburetors. The motor fires right up.
The button for the lanyard kill switch you have to hold in or it will not start, Got to dig into that also.
Slowly but surely getting the floor foam out. Any way it's going pretty good.

Big P

Cadet

Quick question, the foam sealant in a can, is ok to use like in tight spots etc. on the boat?

BonairII

Commander

Until you post pics.....I refuse to participate in this thread.

:lol:

Triangleboater

Petty Officer 1st Class

The two part foam... It is ok to use in small spaces, just make sure it has a way to escape. the stuff gets insane when it expands. Use a very small amount to see how it reacts

Triangleboater

Petty Officer 1st Class

I suggest you go to youtube and watch some of friscoboaters videos. He goes over the two part foam in great detail.

64osby

Admiral

If you're talking about spray in foam like Great Stuff, then no. On boats it's Not So Great, look for closed cell foam.