dent repair on aluminum boat

oldsub86

Petty Officer 1st Class
What would you use to fill a dent on an aluminum hull? Epoxy with a thickener of some sort?
Anyone done it and had long term success?

Randy

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: dent repair on aluminum boat

I'm not a "Tinner" but have patience they'll be here soon. I will say pics are almost a necessity on the forum. How big is the dent? Where's it located?

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander

Dent's and scratches are battle scars,...The add character!!!!

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Pics would be a huge plus...make sure you show a frame of reference for the size of the dent(s). like a quarter or a tape measure...

I repair SOME aluminum dents using rubber mallets and rubber dollies along with the occasional whack with a regular 'ol ball peen...

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Depends on the size of the dent, location, etc......... Some people have used JB Weld or PC-11 on a dent..... I have used both with good results on small dents above and below the water line.

I used JB Weld on a top rail on a smaller 14' boat (all aluminum) and the PC-11 on the bottom of the hull to correct a dent near the back of the hull. Allot depends on the prep of the surface it is stuck to ;)

a1964rn

Petty Officer 1st Class

I would use a ball peen hammer and a sledge hammer (or body dolly if you have one). Hold the sledge hammer flat against the outside and tap the dent out from the inside. If it's in a spot where this is not possible, you can use a product like this: Academy - J-B WELD SteelStik Epoxy

I have used this before and it works pretty good. I sealed up a crack in the lower unit that I had on a 50 HP Evinrude that was leaking oil. I prepped it by sanding it, and degreasing/cleaning it. Put it on, sanded it smooth, painted it. I used that old boat for another 5 years before selling it.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Dent's and scratches are battle scars,...The add character!!!!

... and should be worn proudly!:joyous:

I like the Loc-tite marine epoxy for minor aluminum boat repairs, it's cheap and available at Wal-mart and Home Depot.