Any reason I shouldn't use auto acrylic lacquer on a boat?

Tinkerer

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I can probably get a better looking finish with it than spraying boat enamels; it dries quick, which avoids the kamikaze bugs that are drawn to wet white oil based paints overnight; and it's easy to retouch to the same standard. <br /><br />I won't spray polyurethanes or two packs because they're too dangerous to use without the right breather gear, which I don't have. <br /><br />On a trailer boat which spends most of it's time out of the water, I can't see why auto lacquer wouldn't work.<br /><br />What do people think?

jomac

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Any reason I shouldn't use auto acrylic lacquer on a boat?

You what to keep it or sale it fast!!! Urethanes will last a lot longer and not that much worse than lacquer, both have isocinates which do the damage to your lungs, not to mention most lacquers also have Lead in them . :( Buy a MASK with charcoal filters Be safe and enjoy :)

NathanY

Commander

I thought that it was illegal to put lead in paint due the the ban on lead back in the 70's?

Fergulus

Seaman

Either way, I would by a mask for any painting on a large scale, like a boat.<br /><br />And you are in luck, because you can find them for about 25 dollars for a good one!

trumpetbucks

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I agree that no matter which way you go, you need to use some good protective gear. You are more important than the boat.<br /><br />Secondly, my personal opinion is that I'm not going to do a major repair/renovation to my boat unless I'm going to do it right - and to me that means using paint made for boats on a boat.<br /><br />Just my opinions.<br /><br />Good luck to you!

Bondo

Staff member

I've been restoring,+ painting both Glass,+ Alu. boats for years.... I used to use acrylic enamals... Because that was the Best then....<br />Now I use polyurethanes...Because that is the Best Now.....<br />Point is, I've painted Alot of boats with Automotive paints, And Never had a problem on a properly prepared surface..... Above Or Below the water line....<br />Corvettes are fiberglass,+ they hold paint as well as a steel car...<br />Sanding,+ Prep are the Key.....