Hatch Sealant

Allwaters

Cadet
Well my new so-pac hatches came in the mail and i am ready to install them. I was waiting for these last few parts before cracking my tube of 3M 5200 adhesive/sealant. I noticed on the bottom of the hatches it says to use silicone based products and not to clean up with mineral spirits. So would i be ok to use the 5200? the hatches are just abs plastic material, basically the same material my thru-hulls are made of. what would you use or recommend?

Cheers, Dylan

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Hatch Sealant

5200 is Permanent 4000 series might be what you want to use instead.

jbcurt00

Staff member

If the manufacturer says not to use mineral spirits, I wouldn't... If min spirits is the primary cleanup method for the 3M 4000 series, I might not use it either, unless you are exceptionally neat & won't need to use any min spirits...

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander

I'm not a big fan of silicone on boats and below the waterline for sure. Having said that if it says silicone I would use it in this case. 5200 and 4000 are NOT silicone based and may react with the material of the hatches.

My boat Doral Citation 1987....started to have a leaky hatch.
I suspect it has leaked before but I just noticed it now. How best to fix the leak, re and re-install, buy new one - which doesn't seem to exist new or used.
It is a BOMAR and is the middle hatch with windows on each side....
Right now have covered it with poly and duct tape till I figure out what to do?

Any one have any advice seems to leak at the top.... Mark

Rickmerrill

Senior Chief Petty Officer
What George said ^^. Remembered seeing something about using silicone on plastics at boatworkstoday.com. Just re-watched it and Andy specifically said the only time he uses silicone is on plastics (poly carbonates) because the polyurethanes won't stick to it. I'll bet that's what the mfg is getting at and mineral spirits must react to it. If they put that right on the part they did it for a reason.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Fellas - This an old topic. Please don't reply if there is no activity in excess of 90 days. Thanks

Rickmerrill

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Doggone it, I check the previous date but not the previous previous! Sorry GA.

EDIT - No Prob, Rick. GA-B

Last edited by a moderator: