Fiberglass piece chiped (bottom of transom)

lenny2113

Petty Officer 1st Class
As I was preparing my boat to be painted I noticed a 3" long chip on the back of the hull where the bottom of the boat meets transom. <br />The chip is right on the angle of the transom bottom. The fiberglass cloth is showing through the crack.<br /> <br />I have a product called "Interlux epoxy filler" - it is a 2 part product with a blue filler and white hardner. I used it to fill deep scratched on the hull ansd it works great. <br />Could I use the same stuff to fill in the chip?<br /><br />Any suggestions :confused: <br />Thank you.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Fiberglass piece chiped (bottom of transom)

Yep, That's the stuff I'd use...Epoxy putty...

lenny2113

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks bondo,<br />I will try to apply a thick coat of Epoxy putty and shape it to look like a bottom angle. I think I will be fine without laying fiberglass cloth on the damaged area. I will need to build up about 3/8" of thickness. Have anyone done this before?

hotrodlinc47

Recruit

hi i'm new to this, would bondo work on the crack on the tramson and bottom as well as interlux or is it better thanks for any replys

sandybottom1949

Recruit

Thanks bondo,<br />I will try to apply a thick coat of Epoxy putty and shape it to look like a bottom angle. I think I will be fine without laying fiberglass cloth on the damaged area. I will need to build up about 3/8" of thickness. Have anyone done this before?

need to sand it with 80grit paper so the bondo will hold ,form it ,sand it with 320 grit paper ,paint it and buff it should be fine.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Bondo is NOT waterproof. Epoxy Products like PC-11, Marine-Tex ARE!