Building a 23' Pacific Power Dory

sheboyganjohn

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Building a 23' Pacific Power Dory

Digging the thread back up since I will have more to add. I think I have evicted the motor gremlin and all is running well at that end. The PDP was fine, might just have been a corroded ground connection or a loose main fuse. I have moved the oil tank and the batteries (added a second one) from the bilge area to the rear deck and have made a bench seat to house them. Bench seat was put in for one weekend of use and has been pulled back out to now install correctly. The bench seat has also been designed to act as a scupper cover. Worked well on the weekend use, will work even better when glassed in and water tight. When coming off of plane water would have flooded the boat through the scuppers with-out the covers. I will post up some picks when I start re-installing the back seat. I have also ordered the needed parts to properly install a natural bilge ventilation system. It is needed since I have a below deck fuel tank.

On a related note, I can tell all the areas that I did not glass and/or painted late in the season with porch and floor paint, that paint is all peeling. The bow cap looks horrible. The plywood looks like it has been weathering for a decade the way the paint is coming off. The deck has sheets of paint coming off. If I remember the floor was a bit damp in places when I was painting, which does not work well with oil based paints. I will get more of the paint I used on the rest of the boat and do some painting after I finish the rest of the glass work.

sheboyganjohn

Here are the pictures. You can see the scupper openings I have installed on each side.

IMG-20130713-00331.JPG

The scuppers are great for keeping the deck dry when stored on the trailer, but they take on a bit of water when coming off plane or in cross waves when anchored. I decided to make removable covers inside the boat intergraded with a rear bench seat. Here is the scupper from the inside.

IMG-20130713-00330.JPG

This is the bench seat epoxied and glassed in. Just needs some sanding and paint. The access doors for the oil tank and batteries still needs to be epoxied and the cover guides and covers for the scuppers need to be tuned up a bit and installed. I will get another picture when it is all done.

IMG-20130713-00329.JPG

Last edited:

sheboyganjohn

Another update on the boat, but pictureless. Had it out a couple of times the last few weeks. Hit 40 mph on the GPS in rather choppy water with three of us on the boat. Forgot the GPS the next trip, but I am sure it hit closer to 50 on smoother water and only two of us. Did a 30 + mile round trip that day. burning less then 10 gallons.

Still having an issue with the scuppers. They take on minimal water when anchored, even anchored stern corner into 2' - 3' waves. However when I get up on plane at higher speed with someone in the front of the boat to keep the bow down, the scuppers catch just enough water to make and maintain a small pond in the stern that will drain off if I slow down. I think I am going to have to make full bolt in covers for them when I am running.

Have the back bench all togther and primed it up yesterday afternoon along with some work in the bow for the anchor locker.

I am hoping to get the scupper plugs made this week. I will post up new picks when I get that done.

rheagler

Nice project! The guys that build Tolman skiffs have come up with some methods of making one way scupper valves. If you Google search Tolman scupper valve you will probably find some. Your boat looks great. I would love to build a big wood boat, just don't have the time, space or money.

sheboyganjohn

Here is a quick video of the boat out on Lake Winnebago today. Figured I should put up at least one video of the semi-finished product.

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/GtFWTKIMLYc?hl=en_US&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/GtFWTKIMLYc?hl=en_US&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Last edited:

sheboyganjohn

Thanks. I have no idea why it will not work when I copy the text in for embedding.

jbcurt00

Staff member

At the top of a reply window, are you using the insert video button? Looks like 2 frames from an 8mm film? 4th to the right from the Smiley button?

A small pop-up insert video window comes up & you paste the YouTube (or a few other servers) web address in the long white box. The Iboats server then embeds video in your post

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander

I think I'd try to trim the nose down a bit and let it cut the waves,.......

The bouncing would drive me crazy,.........

sheboyganjohn

The boat is a flat bottom and is designed to run bow high at low speeds to keep from spearing waves. It is designed to be beach launched in the ocean and go out through the surf.

Found out why I could not post videos, I did not have the tool bar. I had to make a change in my account settings to get it. Here is another video running the next day with almost no waves.

sheboyganjohn

Have some updates on the dory. I did not like the scupper drains I put in. Too much water was getting back into the boat so I spent a lot of time trying to figure out a way to have the large opening, but being able to plug them. Came up with the following system. Good ole test plugs and the floor flange for a toilet. Here are the pics of me filling them in to get it back to round and installing the flanges. Used a belt sander to taper the opening so the filler piece would have a nice overlap. Had it out on the lake the other day and no water coming in at all, so I'm happy.

IMG_0434.JPG
IMG_0433.JPG
IMG_0432.JPG
IMG_0436.JPG

Last edited:

sheboyganjohn

I only put a cove of thickened epoxy along the floor on the bench seat when I built it. I did not scuff up the fiberglass on the floor very well. It ended up pulling loose from the floor and I kept getting water under the seat. Chiseled out the old stuff, sanded it down real well with 80 grit and put a new layer of PB down and then glassed right over it wet on wet.

IMG_0458.JPG

Also installed a chunk of oak on the transom that I will use as the transducer mount for the depth gauge. Other then the two drain plugs, no holes below the water line.

IMG_0459.JPG

Last edited:

sheboyganjohn

Thanks WOG. I spent a lot of time trying to come up with something.

I was able to throw some primer on it yesterday. Starting Wednesday afternoon I am on vacation for the next three weeks to use it for duck hunting, so hopefully I can get the last coat of paint on it in the next couple of days. I will post up some pics when it is done, and maybe some from hunting.

sheboyganjohn

Just finished correcting all the pictures after the photobucket fiasco. Found a few update pictures to post. After trying out the center console I decided I liked the general design, but did not need the seat in front of it. That is a perfect spot for a cooler and it can double as a seat. Also sort of needed something that was structurally sound. I pulled the entire steering wheel panel off more than once since it was held in with screws going into the end grain on plywood.

1538631_10203542689162940_8043858491287890463_n.jpg

I also did my own version of open water camo on the boat. Seems to blend in a bit better then just a plain grey boat.

11267240_10203566814886068_4608416864005922066_n.jpg 11707504_10203566814926069_5679712659057107467_n.jpg