Attachments

• b5.jpg
    b5.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 0

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
Re: Winner minikai

YAY!!!... You did it!

Now you can post up to 5 pics in a reply. I like to open 2 windows with iboats in one and Photobucket in the other, makes posting multiple pics easy.

Your boat does need some serious work, but it'll be like new when you're finished.

What's your location (general)?

Minikai71

Seaman Apprentice

WOOOOHOO! I did it.
Hamilton Ontario,Canada - 5 minutes from a boat launch to Lake Ontario!
Yes it does. With help from this forum and quite a bit of labor I'll have a nice boat. I got the boat, trailer and 65 hp merc for a song- bought it on boxing day- best late christmas present ever!
As soon as I got it I put it in my shop, the trailer didnt fit so strapped and lifted it up, pulled out trailer and put it on big chunks of foam.

- then i cut off back (risky- maybe not the best idea)instead of popping top off
-removed rotten transom
-removed all electrical, steering
-cut/drilled sections of floor out to remove palstic bottles (approx 25% were filled or partially filled with water)
-removed some rot from floor
-vacumed cavities and everything and put in space heaters directly shooting into holes on low heat, brought uninsulated shop up to 10 c / 50 F

so now plan is to:

-dry it out completely- could take weeks right? its already a lot lighter after removing approx 4 gallons of water in plastic floaters
-rebuild transom, and finish back floor 2 or 3 layers of marine grade ply- epoxied together and glassed
-clean cavities with 202, reapair stringers, brush in a little epoxy (good idea?)

-pour in 2 part foam - 2 or 4 or 6 lb? i've read 2lb closed cell will absorb water if allowed to and water vapour- possible decreasing its life span, 4lb is much much better in terms of absorbing water, more rigid- but more $$- is it worth it? (thinking I need 4 gallons?) at 80 degrees

-let it cure, repair holes- put coat epoxy(with west system- good choice?) on and re-glass pretty much complete inside- adding strength to bare side walls- good idea?

-sand,prime,sand,paint and paint - inside, floor and topside gray(thinking it won't get as hot, and reflect too much sun) and outside white - with brightside (since boat will be trailered- maybe sit in water once and awhile for a week or two) good idea?

thanks in advance for advice, cheers!

Minikai71

Seaman Apprentice

Hi
What epoxy do you recoment? also what kind foam- aeromarine good as west system?
also trailer is rusty- grind/ wire brush loose stuff off and paint with por 15?
the back is bunk with rollers (if im correct)- is it wise to change it to a good quality pad?
the trailer is a tilt I believe- can someone tell me if it is a good one- and if I shoud use it. I am completely new at this and appreciate advice. Ill snap and post a pic of tariler shorlty.

a1964rn

Petty Officer 1st Class

US Composites has good prices on epoxy, as well as 2 part foam. I'm using the 635 Thin Epoxy 3:1, but for cooler temperatures, you might try the 4:1.

Minikai71

Seaman Apprentice

WOOOOHOO! I did it.
Hamilton Ontario,Canada - 5 minutes from a boat launch to Lake Ontario!
Yes it does. With help from this forum and quite a bit of labor I'll have a nice boat. I got the boat, trailer and 65 hp merc for a song- bought it on boxing day- best late christmas present ever!
As soon as I got it I put it in my shop, the trailer didnt fit so strapped and lifted it up, pulled out trailer and put it on big chunks of foam.

- then i cut off back (risky- maybe not the best idea)instead of popping top off
-removed rotten transom
-removed all electrical, steering
-cut/drilled sections of floor out to remove palstic bottles (approx 25% were filled or partially filled with water)
-removed some rot from floor
-vacumed cavities and everything and put in space heaters directly shooting into holes on low heat, brought uninsulated shop up to 10 c / 50 F

so now plan is to:

-dry it out completely- could take weeks right? its already a lot lighter after removing approx 4 gallons of water in plastic floaters
-rebuild transom, and finish back floor 2 or 3 layers of marine grade ply- epoxied together and glassed
-clean cavities with 202, reapair stringers, brush in a little epoxy (good idea?)

-pour in 2 part foam - 2 or 4 or 6 lb? i've read 2lb closed cell will absorb water if allowed to and water vapour- possible decreasing its life span, 4lb is much much better in terms of absorbing water, more rigid- but more $$- is it worth it? (thinking I need 4 gallons?) at 80 degrees

-let it cure, repair holes- put coat epoxy(with west system- good choice?) on and re-glass pretty much complete inside- adding strength to bare side walls- good idea?

-sand,prime,sand,paint and paint - inside, floor and topside gray(thinking it won't get as hot, and reflect too much sun) and outside white - with brightside (since boat will be trailered- maybe sit in water once and awhile for a week or two) good idea?

thanks in advance for advice, cheers!

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

You really need to study how fiberglass boats are restored before you do any work to that boat rebuilding it.

Cutting the outside of the transom isn't the easiest way to get the wood out... we need to see pics of the transom where you cut it.

Taking the cap off of a boat isn't that hard, and you may still need to remove it to get your transom wood in in one piece... installing a new transom in pieces isn't an option.

You're going to need to use fiberglass and resin to hold/fasten your stringers and transom to the boat. Using polyester resin will cost half as much as epoxy resin.

You have to have warm temperatures to work with adhesives, resins, expanding foam, and paint. 50*F isn't warm enough for any of those things, 65*F is the bare minimum.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

DSC02252.jpg

DSC02251.jpg

DSC02249.jpg

Pics are easy when you get used to it.

To upload multiple pics to Photobucket... click upload... then click on browse files... a window will appear with your photo files... hold down the CTRL key and highlight all the pics you want to upload... then click upload.

To post multiple pics to iboats... open one window with iboats in it... open another window with Photobucket in it... then you can switch back and forth from Photobucket and iboats copying and pasting pics. It really is easy when you get the hang of it.

DSC02250.jpg

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

holesindeck.jpg

Did you cut all of those holes in the decking just for foam?

Minikai71

Seaman Apprentice

foam and to help air it out, check plywood for rot

i saw a few videos of 2 part foam and thought more access would be good- maybe i should have tried a pour to determine expansion before all the holes, oh well
i plan on glassing the deck again.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

foam and to help air it out, check plywood for rot

i saw a few videos of 2 part foam and thought more access would be good- maybe i should have tried a pour to determine expansion before all the holes, oh well
i plan on glassing the deck again.

Do you realize the temperature needs to be 80*F to get the full expansion rate of the foam? At 50*F you'll problably end up using almost twice as much foam as you would at 80*.

How did you put your stringers in? Like this?:

Stringers_zps840bac88.jpg

If you didn't they'll probably break loose from your hull the first season. The fiberglass and resin is what holds the stringers to the hull... not the little bit of adhesive that is put under them, that just holds the stringer in place until you get all the plies of fiberglass laid.

Minikai71

Seaman Apprentice

I'm trying to delet this thread - so I dont have 2 on the go

thank you everyone for helping me out

could an administrator erase this thread? thanks

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

You can contact a moderator and they can combine the 2 for you so you'll only have one.

Minikai71

Seaman Apprentice

Finally got time to replace transom
Getting more epoxy and foam tomorrow
Pics coming