Converting 14ft Valco to walk-through

EagleNuke

Seaman Apprentice
I just bought my first boat, a 14ft valco with a 15hp Johnson tiller O/B. I would like to at least install a flat floor and preferably, convert to a walk-through at the middle bench seat. I have read a lot of the threads here on floors and would like to pose a few questions.

First: how deep is it reasonable to set the floor to maintain stability, i.e. not raise the center of gravity too high?
Second: will the angle aluminum that I see at lowes.com work for floor framing?
Third: does anyone have a suggestion on how to split the center bench seat maintain structural support for the sides?

Thanks

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Converting 14ft Valco to walk-through

I just bought my first boat, a 14ft valco with a 15hp Johnson tiller O/B. I would like to at least install a flat floor and preferably, convert to a walk-through at the middle bench seat. I have read a lot of the threads here on floors and would like to pose a few questions.

First: how deep is it reasonable to set the floor to maintain stability, i.e. not raise the center of gravity too high?
Second: will the angle aluminum that I see at lowes.com work for floor framing?
Third: does anyone have a suggestion on how to split the center bench seat maintain structural support for the sides?

Thanks

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,....

1st,... Any amount you raise the deck, the center of gravity is raised as well....

2nd,... Lowes ain't the best place to buy that sorta thing...

An Industrial/ Metals Supply House is Much Better...

3rd,... Got a picture,..??

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

How wide is your boat? 14'x?'

Is it really that hard to step over a bench, or up onto and then off of?

Removing a portion of your bench will also remove a chunk of valuable and much needed floatation foam.

EagleNuke

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the response, Bond-o. I will try to get photo posted, but may be a day or two with work schedule.

EagleNuke

Seaman Apprentice

How wide is your boat? 14'x?'

Is it really that hard to step over a bench, or up onto and then off of?

Removing a portion of your bench will also remove a chunk of valuable and much needed floatation foam.

I will get dimensions as soon as I can. The split bench is just for preference, I have seen it on similar boats,though those were probably factory built and surely include different structural support. The flotation could be moved to side benches that I am thinking of adding to the sides of the rear section.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Measure your width at the bottom of the boat at the transom.

Those walk-thru benches look like real knee and shin bangers to me, and it makes my legs hurt just to look at the pics of them.:facepalm:

Relocating the foam is your best bet, those bench boats only have a minimum of floatation.

EagleNuke

Seaman Apprentice

Sorry to take so long to reply. I decided to just enjoy the boat as is for a year or so and then probably look to upgrade. Thanks for the responses.