helm bench seat

william haynes

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1975 24 ft. Sea Ray srv. It was stolen about two weeks ago and I got it back about an hour later. Apparently he hit something very hard and the helm seat came loose because it was rotted. I only have pieces to go by and would like to build my own seat. Like doing a puzzle. Anyway does anyone have a picture of how the seat is put together? It is 47" wide and has a drop down seat in the back of it. The boat is in great shape but I would like to rebuild the seat myself because to buy one is too expensive. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks

jbcurt00

Staff member
Re: helm bench seat

If the seat base was rotted I'd be very hesitant to think that nothing else attached to the deck or the deck it's self wasn't also at risk of having some water intrusion problems...........

The seat looks like this '75SR SRV 200's:
134385622836854.jpg

The base of the helm seat doesn't mirror image the port seat? And you only need to rebuild the base? It's likely 47" long, right, not a bench that's 47" wide... Pix would help.........

Unless there's trailer or hull damage, I guess the vehicle they used to tow your boat off hit something while he was stealing the boat & the sudden stop allowed the seat base to pull loose w/out anyone seated in it?

Sorry to hear some scumb** stole your boat, that's a bummer! It's nice to hear it 'only' took an hour to recover it.... That actually sounds almost too good to be true. Maybe that involves the sudden stop :facepalm:

There's a Jeff F, redneck story in there somewhere, or maybe a good 'Here's your sign' story. Another forum I frequent also has a recent 'Some scumb** stole my boat' thread. It turned out to be a neighbor further up the court, and when they got busted the cops found all manner of stuff they'd taken from their own neighbors & never bothered to take the stuff out of the neighborhood. Got OR'd until their court date & got filmed by several security cams, knocking on doors & attempting to talk to the people they'd stolen from, a clear violation of their OR release. Got re-arrested for witness tampering or some such & the judge called all 3 (son & father, and either daughter or daughter inlaw) stupid in open court.

The guy who posted the thread's boat wasn't recovered, but his license plate, & ser# recorded fishfinder were. Figures they cut the aluminum boat up to scrap it.

Glad you got your's back, even if somewhat disheveled.....

If this is the SeaRay you had steering & trim problems w/ back in the fall, I think you mentioned that it had been sitting (outside?) for a good long while, that makes me think there is some thorough inspections of multiple wooden structure in your future, as I noted initially.............

Post up some pix & the crew @these parts will help ya Git-R-Done!

no blue collar tour endorsement paid or earned :tape:

william haynes

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the fast reply. Yes this the same boat I was having trim and steering problem with. I have fixed those problems. My seat is not like the picture you show. It is too narrow. the base is 47" wide and has enough room to seat three people easily. At the backrest there is a drop down seat that lets down for passengers to sit on. I took some pictures yesterday but don't know how to send them to you. Any advise how to send them? Don't know if they will help. Like I said the seat is rotted and in pieces. If I had taken pictures of it before it was destroyed I could have built one in a couple of hours. If you can tell me how to send the pictures I would be grateful. Thank you. Bill

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

For pics, open a FREE Photobucket Account. Once it's done in the upper right of the screen you'll see a link to revert back to the old version. DO THIS. Once in the Old Version, Upload your pics. Once uploaded hover the mouse pointer over your pic and a Window will open. The bottom link in the window will be the IMG Code. Click on it and it will flash "Copied" Return to iBoats and Paste the copied link into your post. A full sized pic will be visible upon opening your post.