1988 glasstream 20ft. rebuild

bnu2boats

Cadet
Anyone out there that would consider helping an inexperienced person rebuild an old bass boat?
Details of boat;
-1988 Glasstream w/200 V-6 Suzuki.

Will give more info as needed.

Thanks, in advance.

bnu2boats

Bondo

Staff member
Re: 1988 glasstream 20ft. rebuild

Anyone out there that would consider helping an inexperienced person rebuild an old bass boat?
Details of boat;
-1988 Glasstream w/200 V-6 Suzuki.

Will give more info as needed.

Thanks, in advance.

bnu2boats

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... This usually starts with You tellin' Us, exactly what's wrong with it....

With pictures....

bnu2boats

Cadet

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... This usually starts with You tellin' Us, exactly what's wrong with it....

With pictures....

Will send pictures later, but here is a brief history; the boat and trailer were given to me three weeks ago. I made the following observations;
-My friend said the boat has not been in water for two years
-The motor has a jack plate, and it appears to have pulled away from the transom about 1/4 in. at the top with some
type of silicon/rubber filler put in.
-The lower unit has the side water intakes welded shut with plates, and anew water intake put on front of lower unit.
-I did get the motor started, after several tries, and it was missing real bad.
-There is a blue colored gasket type material on cylinders.
-The deck had indoor/outdoor carpet which I removed, and I only found one soft spot which is under the console.
-The outside of the hull looks pretty good, with some minor flaking on the top of left side.
-The trailer is in very good condition, tires have excellent tread, all lights work.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.... Sounds like ya mighta scored a decent Trailer outa the deal....

I'm guessin' the transom is rotten, which probably means the Stringers are as well...

'n, Motor,..?? What motor,..??

10 hp Yamaha,..??

100 hp OMC,..??

300 hp Mercury,..??

bnu2boats

Cadet

Ayuh,.... Sounds like ya mighta scored a decent Trailer outa the deal....

I'm guessin' the transom is rotten, which probably means the Stringers are as well...

'n, Motor,..?? What motor,..??

10 hp Yamaha,..??

100 hp OMC,..??

300 hp Mercury,..??

200 Suzuki V6 is the motor...why have the water intakes been changed?? Haven't been able to get pics as it has been raining last few days..
B4 I forget....Thank you for your time and help

Bondo

Staff member

200 Suzuki V6 is the motor...why have the water intakes been changed?? Haven't been able to get pics as it has been raining last few days..
B4 I forget....Thank you for your time and help

Ayuh,... Google "Low water pickups", 'n ya might see the Why of it...

a1964rn

Petty Officer 1st Class

I would prepare for a full restoration, if I were you. As Bond-o said, your transom is most likely rotten. That soft spot in your floor is a sign of a rotten stringer. Plan for the worst and hope for the best. I look at it this way. My bass boat would cost over $20,000 new. I'll have less than $3000 in it, and it'll be as good as (or better than) new.

SDSeville

Lieutenant

I would prepare for a full restoration, if I were you. As Bond-o said, your transom is most likely rotten. That soft spot in your floor is a sign of a rotten stringer. Plan for the worst and hope for the best. I look at it this way. My bass boat would cost over $20,000 new. I'll have less than $3000 in it, and it'll be as good as (or better than) new.

+1^