Steering System?

Novax

Seaman Apprentice
Trying to go as cheap as I can here to get my boat water ready for this year. I have the boat (Obviously), motor, helm, steering wheel, throttle/linkage. I'm in need for a steering system but not sure what exactly I need. I know I need the cable so I was thinking something like this: New and Used Boats, Boat Covers, Boat Parts, Propellers, Accessories from iboats.com ... _id.169474

What else would I need to get this hooked up? Do I need any of these:
New and Used Boats, Boat Covers, Boat Parts, Propellers, Accessories from iboats.com ... w_id.40158
Boat Parts & Accessories For Your Boat - iboats ... w_id.47748
Boat Steering Parts & Accessories - iboats ... _id.217127

Thanks in advance but I will probably be thanking you all again.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Steering System?

I have the boat (Obviously), motor, helm, steering wheel, throttle/linkage.

Ayuh,..... None of yer links work, 'n We have No idea of what yer startin' with.....

What motor,..??
What helm,..??

jbcurt00

Staff member
Re: Steering System?

Without knowing exactly what's installed at the helm, it's hard to know what you need, or what will work w/ your current steering wheel...

I'd probably suggest you get 100% from wheel, helm hub, cables, clamps and etc from one of those inexpensive TeleFlex systems. Take what you've got on the boat currently off, and go to TeleFlex's site directly & read thru the info posted about installing their systems. You can call them too, I hear their fairly friendly helpful folks.....

That way you can order everything, know it's going to fit & be long enough, attach to your motor & work properly... Their lower cost setups have been used in quite a few restos, all in, steering wheel & all.

Or post up more detailed pix of however the steering is/was run w/ the existing setup, maybe you'll get lucky & be able to piece together something that works. But, it's steering, on your boat, and you don't want to find out it isn't working right underway.....

But IMHO, the TeleFlex would be the way to go......