1959 Starcraft 16' Super Constellation - Winner 2016 Starmada SOTY Award

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tnstratofam

Commander
Looking real good. Those seats will look real nice when you're finished.

Yeah I'm ready for spring myself.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
She sure is going to be a looker when you're out on the waves :thumb:

ssdale

Starmada Splash of the Year 2016
Hello all from the DEEP freeze that is Missouri! Finally was warm enough to put on a second coat of spar varnish. was a couple of weeks since the first coat, so sanded and rubbed down with tack cloth. Planning on 3 coats on everything , then a couple more on the large exposed surfaces after re-assembly. Used a small roller and tipped off with bristle brush like they did in the video link that Woodonglass shared earlier. Thanks Wood! .
Not any pics as I keep getting "error uploading image" message. The files are really small, only 59kb -so can't be the problem. A setting somewhere??, will try to take new pics tomorrow.
Stay Warm,
Dale

jbcurt00

Staff member
there's been some tinkering under the hood of the forum software, not sure you're pix problems are related to that, but 59K shouldn't be too big.

try photobucket, have yet to have a problem w/ it, or the forum allowing the IMG code posted pix to show up

ssdale

Thanks LD! Here are the pics that I tried to put with last post. Just too cold to heat the shop for the 3rd coat so I tried to buff the windlass anchor mount and attached it with stainless screws. The bow light is just setting in place for show. 100_4585.jpg 100_4586.jpg 100_4587.jpg

Watermann

Looks great from here!

A little tip for clearing ANY haze from that bow light lens... heres a secret that will blow any of those "lens restore" kits that cost and don't deliver. Grab your Deet and spray some on a paper towel... rub on lens and be amazed at how it becomes instantly crystal clear.

m casey stock

Chief Petty Officer
Looks Great! Can't wait to see it all finished.

Brake parts cleaner works great for cleaning haze off lenses too (make sure its the flammable stuff LOL) I use it on plastic headlamps at the shop all the time, same technique, spray it on a shop rag and rub. Of course, some lenses are just too far gone to make them perfect. On the ones that you can't just buy new ones, I'll spray a quality clear coat on them to restore that "wet" look, that's what I did to the one on the DuraCraft.

ssdale

Thanks for all the cleaning tips and compliments! The bow light is just the way it was when i removed it- no cleaning yet, so i will try the suggestions. Every tip I have gotten here at iboats has been a good one!

Mark72233

Ensign
Dale, just found this one and loving it. I love old boats. Glad to see you back at it. Tagging along

ssdale

Its been over a month since I have had time to post anything about the Starcraft because I tackled a major remodel of my circa 1951 shop that stores the project. I always enjoy seeing the work that folks accomplish when we all know they should be working on their Boat project! So far I have done all the work myself with only the help of my son taking off and re-installing the new roof. I rented a lift to get the new electrical service strung. Just letting you guys know that I haven't given up. 100_4557.jpg 100_4664.jpg 100_4558.jpg 100_4665.jpg

The winter that would not end kept my progress very slow. Added more insulation while I had her opened up so I can AC this summer and next winter we can restore tinnys in comfort!
Enjoy the Spring,
Dale

ssdale

Had a couple hours over the weekend to do some final fitting of the mahogany seats. Then attached the flotation boxes and reinforcement angle iron under each of the seat planks. The seats, especially the front seat back is a major structural component and taking my time to get it lined back up as closely as possible to original. Attached the oar sockets to the oak gunwales. Using ll stainless hardware except for a few spots that I could reuse some of the original hardware.
Thanks,
Dale 100_4686.jpg 100_4687.jpg 100_4688.jpg 100_4689.jpg 100_4690.jpg

Watermann

Man I love those seats, especially wonderful in today's plastic world. :thumb:

ssdale

Finally had a few hours to completely install all seats and seat backs. Also Aluminum trim on the oak gunnels. Not sure how to handle the nail heads that hold the seat back caps to the wooden seat back. I wonder if the were painted originally or not as how would they have driven them without chipping off the paint. That is why i did not paint them. They are the original spiral type about 1.25 inches long. I straightened each one (54 of them) as I could not find anything like them. I guess I will paint them with a template and small brush. Steering is next!
Dale

100_4697.jpg 100_4696.jpg 100_4699.jpg 100_4698.jpg

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Looking fabulous, SS. Those nails are called boat nails if you need more. I think I found some at Ace or True Value - Too long ago to remember.

Getting close to splash time, aren't you?

ssdale

Thanks GA! They are really called boat nails? -never would have guessed that one.:noidea:

There are so many details to get done with the windshield, steering, and the windlass anchor. Wiring. The 1960 Lark II that I plan too use (earlier post) looks great and has great compression, but is a ways from running. Thanks to iboats I have the knowledge and confidence to do it right the first time.:director:

I am just glad to get it this far- I'm not gonna quit! Others have inspired me and I hope to do the same!
Dale

Tnstratofam

Commander
I love this boat! She is turning out beautiful, and you are gonna turn allot of heads this summer cruising down the water. Anyone who thinks an old tin boat can't compete with the old mahogany wood boats ( Another class of beautiful boats ) needs to come read this thread. Absolutely fabulous work.:encouragement:

ssdale

Thank you guys! It means a lot seeing who it is coming from! Finally finished painting the steering wheel in the original colors I saw from the Starcraft forum brochure and did quick test fit. Filled the cracks with bondo and painted white along time ago. I have to buff out the chrome mount-has a few pits, and clean up the pulley. I have the new 3/16 cable but always have fits getting it wound correctly and I have to remount all the guides and pulleys yet. Incredibly, the cap of the steering wheel is totally original-just cleaned. Hows that for 1959 craftsmanship. If anybody at Atwood sees this, maybe we could do an add! Ha!
Dale
100_4700.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.