Is it teak trim on 87 Rinker V190?

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander
Hey guys, (and gals)
I am new to this forum and just getting back in to boating. I recently bought a 87 Rinker V190 CC and have just started restoring the wood trim. Figuring out what typw of wood the swim platform was very easy. But, figuring what type of wood the rest of the trim is isn't so easy. The previous owner stained and varnished everything this past summer. Hopefully someone can look at the pics I am attaching of the cup holders and tell me what type of wood it is. I will also post pics of the swim platform I just finished.
Thanks Dave.

Attachments

• AFTER 2.jpg
    AFTER 2.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 0
  • DURING 1.jpg
    DURING 1.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 0
  • SWIM PLATFORM BEFORE.jpg
    SWIM PLATFORM BEFORE.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    166.8 KB · Views: 0

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: Is it teak trim on 87 Rinker V190?

IF the wood has not been previously replaced then it should be Teak. Hard to tell from the pic.

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks for the replies.Teak was the answer I was hoping for. Now for a lot of taking apart, sanding and applying teak oil. That will keep me busy for a couple of weeks.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

80 grit sandpaper is as fine as you need to go for your raw teak. Oil right over it.

Now if your going to use a varnish or whatnot .. you can start with the 80 grit for the first coat. Then after that you can move down to 220 or so.

YD.

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander

I tried 80 grit and it was slow going. The previous owner had stained and varnished the trim. I went to 50 grit and that took it right down to bare wood quickly. Then I went up to 120 and it is nice and smooth.
So far with a palm sander it is a fairly fast process. I am going to do the aft pieces first and get them back on the boat. Then move on to the cabin area. I will need to sand some of that in place.
I put 6 coats of Watco Teak Oil on the swim platform I finished a week ago and is looks fantastic. Since I probably will be trailering it I will be able to touch up the oil in my driveway when necessary.
Attached is a before photo. I will post more as I progress.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 0